“Cramped, noisy and uncomfortable”

Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam
Ranked #296 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 January 2008

The room was ridiculously small. My boyfriend could easily touch both walls at the same time and there was only a gap of a foot to walk around the bed. The ceilings were also very low, I'm 5ft 9 and banged my hands off the ceiling every time I changed my top.

The bed was uncomfortable and the springs creaked so much that we ended up sleeping with the mattress on the floor as it was comfier.

The walls were incredibly thin and even the noise of people walking up stairs echoed around the hotel to a deafening level. Our French neighbours spent most of the night shouting and screaming at each other but even after complaining to the hotel staff the noise persisted.

Breakfast was typical Dutch bread, cheese and ham but the quality was poor so we ended up eating at the cafe around the corner instead.

The tea and coffee making facilities in the room consisted of a few teabags that were never replenished and 2 dirty steel cups, one of which didn't have a handle.

The room was advertised as having an FM Radio but this seemed to be a pre-war relic which was impossible to tune in to any station.

The room also had a ladybird infestation which I thought extremely odd given the fact we were there in December.

The location was fine and the shower was the only good thing about the room.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susanelena

Reviewed 10 December 2007

This was a trip of two halves - the hotel was good, friendly, well located and had a good room. The problem was that for the first two days of our four day stay the hotel had double booked us and we were transferred to the Marnix, which is a horrible hotel a little West of this one.

Obviously this had to count against this hotel, but if we separate out the experience then it's fair to say this was really nice. We had a view of the canal which is pretty and peaceful, the room was a good size with a good bathroom. The hotel is inexpensive and breakfast was decent. The front desk was friendly and apologetic about the error.

I'd book again - just make sure they really do have your booking!

Reviewed 25 November 2007

This hotel changed ownership on Sept. 1 2007. The building is still the same,but gone is the classy welcoming touch of the old regime,.
Replaced by a cold hard cash approach , and for the most part snippy staff. ( one of the reception staff was quite pleasent) No welcoming cup of coffee to the weary jet-lagged US arrivees (breakfast doesn't start until 8 you see ,and its locked up tight before that-). No we'll get your rooms for you as soon as we can -It was 14:30 before we could get in . Breakfast is literally a toaster, bread,cheese,salami ,and a grudgingly given small pot of coffee . I suppose you're safe enough here ,though one of the more recent reviews here makes me wonder about that . Theres still construction going on, on the Hermatige just across the canal ,can get noisy early . They weren't good at all at answering pre-trip emails, in which I asked about any changes in hotel policies. Too bad about what happened here, as this was ,for a few years a real gem in Amsterdam.

1  Thank Xefian
Reviewed 19 November 2007

I stayed one night at this hotel, and found it to be pleasant and comfortable. We had a large double room which was bigger than I expected. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the beds were very comfy. The ensuite bathroom was well decorated, and the toilet/shower were clean and well stocked.

As other comments mention the stairs being steep, yes they were. We only stayed for one night so didn't have that much luggage to carry, but I can undertand how other guests found this awkward!

The breakfast selection was a little limited (bread/toaster/cake/peanut butter/chocolate spread/jam & marmalade/tea,coffee and orange juice) but for the price it was adequate!!!! The dining area was very welcoming and relaxing.

My summary is for 99 euros for the room including the breakfast for 2 people, it was well worth it. If you are just looking for a place to sleep. I strongly recommend this hotel to you.

Reviewed 15 November 2007

DON'T GO HERE!! BE WARNED.
I understand that the place is cheap and cheerful, just minus the cheerful.
I have just come back from staying in this hotel, with another lady and three guys. for your own safety don't go here, I was literally pushed out of the hotel by a big huge man, because we checked out half an hour late!

We were meant to be checked out for 10:30 am (which is a little too early for me) we had a phonecall at 10:45 and we said we would be down in 10 mins and apologised for the inconvinience (Seriously we did) it came to 11 and we were just about packed up to leave when we heard a massive bang on the door, this huge guy burst in shouting and swearing telling us to leave now, he threw out my suitcase and as I crept past him he turned around and shoved me out of the door.
To be fair we did stay half an hour then what we were meant to , I didnt honestly see the big deal as check in wasn't until 15:30!! But honestly, did he really have to go that mad?

On top of that my bed was slanted, there was so much banging on the stairs and someone was playing a organ!!

Don't go here, stay sain and enjoy your holiday.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank xhayley_bx
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We have been 5 days in hotel Fanatasia during the IBC event whit 5 persons of our company.Clean rooms,perfect location,very helpfull and friendly staf,cheap prices and quit midle in the center.For us it was perfect!We will come back every IBC event in sep back to hotel fantasia.Thanks...

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 June 2007

I stayed in a twin room on the top floor (pictures attached) - the room was quite small (there was only just enough room to walk between the beds) but comfortable, and there was a big closet to store suitcases. The beds were comfortable, although I found it a little weird having the head of the bed facing the door with no headboard. The location is very quiet - the canal and street the hotel is on is quiet and my room faced the back, which looked over the garden to the houses behind. Unfortunately the walls are paper thin, and so you'll be woken up when your neighbours come in (at almost 2am, and from the sound of it kept tripping over the furniture) plus you'll hear their conversations, radio, and sexual activity. Bring earplugs if you're there on a Saturday night (Sunday night was much quieter).

The breakfast was basic but decent (tea, coffee, oj, toast, waffles (the pre-packaged kind, not the American syrup-drenched kind), gingerbread cake, ham, cheese, and a bowl of fresh fruit.

The staff on the desk were friendly and helpful.

The bathroom was fine - very small but clean.

The maid service doesn't do much (she swapped my used coffee cup for a fresh one and emptied the bins, but didn't tidy the bathroom or make the bed) but I don't care about that stuff anyway when I'm only staying for a few nights.

The location is a quiet residential district but still very close to the centre of town (for the red light district, train station and shopping streets), and an easy walk to the museum district, and a 30 minute walk or 5-10 minutes on the tram for the Jorden district - which I've probably just spelled wrong (for the Anne Frank House)

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo