“Poor Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #266 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tipperary, Ireland
“Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

Myself & Husband and another couple were due to stay at this hotel in September this year. We had our flights booked and were researching into budget hotels for our stay when we came across this hotel. My husband contacted the hotel directly and booked two double rooms and agreed a price. The gentleman said he would forward us a confirmation email. When we did not receive this confirmation email, I emailed the hotel directly but still heard nothing. My husband then phoned the hotel again only to be told that they had cancelled our booking due to that fact that the gentleman had under quoted us and that his boss said this price was too low!! So they cancelled our booking and never told us. I just want people to be warned as to the individuals you are dealing with. Make sure that you have a confirmation email stating exactly the room rates agreed. We could have easily arrived over in Amsterdam without any where to stay. I just seems to me that they have very poor hotel service - no apology or anything was offered - just rudeness!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

Hotel Fantasia was a wonderful find! I stayed there with three other friends just before Christmas, 2007, and we booked it over the internet. I must admit, I was a bit doubtful at first, with the rooms being so cheap, but I was pleased to discover that it was a fantastic little hotel for those on a budget. Clean, tidy rooms, an amazing shower and very, very friendly staff! Would recommend it to all, and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Very clean!
  • Disliked — Sometimes you could hear other vistors upstairs.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

Really don't know what some of the other reviewers expect. €60 a night for a triple room in a major European Capital, ten minutes walk from the centre of the city, beautifully located (see pictures), comfortable beds, powerful shower, clean and all staff friendly and helpful in my experience. The rooms aren't huge, it is a little noisy when people are moving around nearby (wouldn't want a stag party next door, but then I wouldn't in any hotel), breakfast is basic and some of the the stairs are precipitous (don't take granny) but it's full of character. There is building work going on over the canal at the Hermitage but we heard no noise at all from it.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or revisit.

Word of warning...we took the train to Centraal Staion and were going to get a taxi to the hotel. Fortunately I checked the price before we got in and was told it would be €25. It's little more than a kilometer away and the fare to the airport is only €35 so I rudely declined and took the metro....only two stops and €1.60 each.

• Liked — Location. Character.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Tram_Magnet
Glasgow, Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2008

The room was ridiculously small. My boyfriend could easily touch both walls at the same time and there was only a gap of a foot to walk around the bed. The ceilings were also very low, I'm 5ft 9 and banged my hands off the ceiling every time I changed my top.

The bed was uncomfortable and the springs creaked so much that we ended up sleeping with the mattress on the floor as it was comfier.

The walls were incredibly thin and even the noise of people walking up stairs echoed around the hotel to a deafening level. Our French neighbours spent most of the night shouting and screaming at each other but even after complaining to the hotel staff the noise persisted.

Breakfast was typical Dutch bread, cheese and ham but the quality was poor so we ended up eating at the cafe around the corner instead.

The tea and coffee making facilities in the room consisted of a few teabags that were never replenished and 2 dirty steel cups, one of which didn't have a handle.

The room was advertised as having an FM Radio but this seemed to be a pre-war relic which was impossible to tune in to any station.

The room also had a ladybird infestation which I thought extremely odd given the fact we were there in December.

The location was fine and the shower was the only good thing about the room.

• Liked — location and shower
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanelena

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

This was a trip of two halves - the hotel was good, friendly, well located and had a good room. The problem was that for the first two days of our four day stay the hotel had double booked us and we were transferred to the Marnix, which is a horrible hotel a little West of this one.

Obviously this had to count against this hotel, but if we separate out the experience then it's fair to say this was really nice. We had a view of the canal which is pretty and peaceful, the room was a good size with a good bathroom. The hotel is inexpensive and breakfast was decent. The front desk was friendly and apologetic about the error.

I'd book again - just make sure they really do have your booking!

• Liked — Nice room and excellent location
  • Disliked — Being transferred to another hotel for half the visit and the rooms are a little poorly lit
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2007

This hotel changed ownership on Sept. 1 2007. The building is still the same,but gone is the classy welcoming touch of the old regime,.
Replaced by a cold hard cash approach , and for the most part snippy staff. ( one of the reception staff was quite pleasent) No welcoming cup of coffee to the weary jet-lagged US arrivees (breakfast doesn't start until 8 you see ,and its locked up tight before that-). No we'll get your rooms for you as soon as we can -It was 14:30 before we could get in . Breakfast is literally a toaster, bread,cheese,salami ,and a grudgingly given small pot of coffee . I suppose you're safe enough here ,though one of the more recent reviews here makes me wonder about that . Theres still construction going on, on the Hermatige just across the canal ,can get noisy early . They weren't good at all at answering pre-trip emails, in which I asked about any changes in hotel policies. Too bad about what happened here, as this was ,for a few years a real gem in Amsterdam.

1 Thank Xefian
manchester, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

I stayed one night at this hotel, and found it to be pleasant and comfortable. We had a large double room which was bigger than I expected. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the beds were very comfy. The ensuite bathroom was well decorated, and the toilet/shower were clean and well stocked.

As other comments mention the stairs being steep, yes they were. We only stayed for one night so didn't have that much luggage to carry, but I can undertand how other guests found this awkward!

The breakfast selection was a little limited (bread/toaster/cake/peanut butter/chocolate spread/jam & marmalade/tea,coffee and orange juice) but for the price it was adequate!!!! The dining area was very welcoming and relaxing.

My summary is for 99 euros for the room including the breakfast for 2 people, it was well worth it. If you are just looking for a place to sleep. I strongly recommend this hotel to you.

• Liked — the price was fantastic and the location was central but quiet!
  • Disliked — breakfast choice was a bit limited but for the price can't complain!!!!