“Good value for the money”

Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam
Ranked #287 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Me and my husband and 4 our friends went to Amsterdam for three days over weekend.

After reading reviews we decided to book rooms in Fantasia Hotel. The location is excellent. It is really close to the city centre and we could easily walk everywhere. Also there is near a tram (nr.9) from Central Station going near the hotel so you do not have to use taxi which might even cost you 30 euro because all streets are one-way.

The hotel does not look impressive. It is placed in an old building so do not expect luxury hotel. The staff is really friendly. They will help you in everything and speak very good English. The hotel has different types of rooms. Most of them are really small. We got very narrow room. The ceiling is also very close so in total the room seems to be a cage. However it is very clean and even there is a small cattle with tea and coffee facilities. We had a room with bathroom (we know that not all of the rooms have bathroom) which was small and not modern but clean. Also our bed seems to be a camp-bed so do not plan to do much on the bed because noise is horrible. The rest of rooms (our friends) were bigger and beds were normal (not camp-bed).

Breakfast was served from 8:00 am till 10:00am. It is better to be there before 9:00am. After 9:00 you might not find much on the table. It is buffet style but if you normally eat a lot for the breakfast, you will not feel full. For the breakfast you will find toast bread, butter, jams, ham and cheese. Of course, tea & coffee and juice. Do not expect huge amounts of those products. It is just for not feeling the first hunger. I totally recommend something nice to eat in the local cafeterias which you find many everywhere.

It is very good hotel for somebody who is young and wants to enjoy the stay in Amsterdam without using public transport. It is very close to all amusements and ''Red'' district. The hotel is clean and very cheap. So even the small breakfast is not a big problem.
The location is excellent and staff very nice. For a short period of time the hotel seems to be very good choice. Just do not expect for 35 euro per person per night luxurious conditions.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 September 2008

Stayed for three nights in a small double room. Initial thoughts were that the room was very small (though just about big enough for two, the bed was not a full sized double) and a bit tatty. However, it was clean and tidy, the staff were friendly and the location (on a quiet canal) was wonderful.

Considering the room was considerably cheaper than others available in Amsterdam when I booked, and other areas of the city we could have ended up in (would not have enjoyed staying in the middle of the red light district for example), think it was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2008

This was a very cheap option for a quad room and we were expecting something very basic for our money- when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms looked like a students dorm but they were clean and the ones on the second floor were nice a big.
The staff were very helpful and we found we were only 10mins walk from most of the main attarctions and restaurants, or a 2min walk from a tram stop that ran everywhere.
All in all a very nice place and a brilliant holiday.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RenpBrighton
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Myself & Husband and another couple were due to stay at this hotel in September this year. We had our flights booked and were researching into budget hotels for our stay when we came across this hotel. My husband contacted the hotel directly and booked two double rooms and agreed a price. The gentleman said he would forward us a confirmation email. When we did not receive this confirmation email, I emailed the hotel directly but still heard nothing. My husband then phoned the hotel again only to be told that they had cancelled our booking due to that fact that the gentleman had under quoted us and that his boss said this price was too low!! So they cancelled our booking and never told us. I just want people to be warned as to the individuals you are dealing with. Make sure that you have a confirmation email stating exactly the room rates agreed. We could have easily arrived over in Amsterdam without any where to stay. I just seems to me that they have very poor hotel service - no apology or anything was offered - just rudeness!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2008

Hotel Fantasia was a wonderful find! I stayed there with three other friends just before Christmas, 2007, and we booked it over the internet. I must admit, I was a bit doubtful at first, with the rooms being so cheap, but I was pleased to discover that it was a fantastic little hotel for those on a budget. Clean, tidy rooms, an amazing shower and very, very friendly staff! Would recommend it to all, and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Really don't know what some of the other reviewers expect. €60 a night for a triple room in a major European Capital, ten minutes walk from the centre of the city, beautifully located (see pictures), comfortable beds, powerful shower, clean and all staff friendly and helpful in my experience. The rooms aren't huge, it is a little noisy when people are moving around nearby (wouldn't want a stag party next door, but then I wouldn't in any hotel), breakfast is basic and some of the the stairs are precipitous (don't take granny) but it's full of character. There is building work going on over the canal at the Hermitage but we heard no noise at all from it.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or revisit.

Word of warning...we took the train to Centraal Staion and were going to get a taxi to the hotel. Fortunately I checked the price before we got in and was told it would be €25. It's little more than a kilometer away and the fare to the airport is only €35 so I rudely declined and took the metro....only two stops and €1.60 each.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tram_Magnet
Reviewed 19 January 2008

The room was ridiculously small. My boyfriend could easily touch both walls at the same time and there was only a gap of a foot to walk around the bed. The ceilings were also very low, I'm 5ft 9 and banged my hands off the ceiling every time I changed my top.

The bed was uncomfortable and the springs creaked so much that we ended up sleeping with the mattress on the floor as it was comfier.

The walls were incredibly thin and even the noise of people walking up stairs echoed around the hotel to a deafening level. Our French neighbours spent most of the night shouting and screaming at each other but even after complaining to the hotel staff the noise persisted.

Breakfast was typical Dutch bread, cheese and ham but the quality was poor so we ended up eating at the cafe around the corner instead.

The tea and coffee making facilities in the room consisted of a few teabags that were never replenished and 2 dirty steel cups, one of which didn't have a handle.

The room was advertised as having an FM Radio but this seemed to be a pre-war relic which was impossible to tune in to any station.

The room also had a ladybird infestation which I thought extremely odd given the fact we were there in December.

The location was fine and the shower was the only good thing about the room.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple