“Charming & Quaint”

Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam
Ranked #299 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Tiny cozy place. Beautiful interiors. Modern, good quality furnishings.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 June 2009

We stayed for 1 night in one of the quad rooms, which was perfect for us to bring the cost down.
On first arrival there was nobody in reception. After waiting there for 15mins, calling out and ringing the bell, someone eventually turned up. The guy was very arrogant and assumed we knew everything about the hotel already.
We were told that we would need to leave credit card and passports if paying by card, so we decided to pay by cash just to be safe. However, since getting back I realised they charged my credit card aswell. The website specifically said that they would not use the card details as payment just as confirmation of the booking. WHAT A LOAD OF BS!!!

Apart from all of the above, the room was actually OK. Yes the bathroom was tiny, yes there was some staining on the walls like a leak was there, yes the tv didn't turn up load enough, yes there were no glasses anywhere, yes there was no minibar, but it did enough for our purpose - a bed for the night whilst we enjoy the rest of the time out and about in the Dam.

All in all, i wouldn't go back unless I get my money back hassle free (still waiting to hear) and if it is the cheapest one around next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2009

In 12 years of staying in hotels around the world, this is the first one I have ever complained about.

Tiny bathroom, not even enough space to squeeze between the toilet and the wall to get to the shower.

Single room was quite claustrophobic and a strange layout.

Not very well-informed staff, couldn't even say where any internet cafes could be found nearby. Surely it is not to much to expect from a hotel in a large city to know these things and be able to point them out on a map? I don't expect to be told to ask in the nearest coffeshop instead as they may know the answer!

No fire alarms but was woken at 3am by lots of shouting outside and what sounded like someone jumping out of the 1st floor window drunk? Unharmed though. But that could happen anywhere in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Having taken what seemed like a bit of risk when we booked 3 nights at the Hermitage after reading some of the reviews here, we were very happily surprised by the stylish decor of both the public areas and our double room on the 4th floor. The en suite shower and toilet was small, but very new, as was all the furniture in the smallish, but by no means cramped bedroom. We liked the black, white and grey theme.

The staff were pleasant and very willing to provide good advice about restaurants etc, and although small, without an elevator (the typical situation in Amsterdam with hotels of this size and class), or air con, the Hermitage is great and we'd definitely return there. It's in a good location, too, right opposite the new Hermitage Museum building, and just a 3 minute walk from Waterlooplein. We were awoken at 8 am 2 mornings by the current building work on the museum, but this will no doubt be completed very soon.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I have just come back from a stay at this hotel. I went for a weekend with 7 other friends. I had read all the reviews i could find and the bad outweighed the good i was so nervous that it was going to be a dump lol but i was soooo suprised, the hotel has completly been renovated and the decor is beautiful. I stayed in a large double room which was very large had a double bed and two arm chairs, en suite bathroom with shower (so nice). Cleaners in everyday fresh towels make beds etc. Some of my friends stayed in triple rooms which were a great standard too. There was flat screen tv's in all the rooms, which i had read there was none so that was a nice suprise. Staff were extra nice, we asked about a comedy show and the guy at reception, he even phoned down to the theatre for us.
There was no bar in the hotel or lift but there was a bar just around the corner and you can get over the stairs lol. The restaurant also only served breakfast in the morning, no lunch or dinner. But there are nice restaurants close by.
Location was brill, not even a 5 minute walk to rembrant square. Tram line is literally a 3 min walk and you can get around the rest of the city from here. Also close to coffee shops if thats what your looking for.
To sum it all up, i cant believe this hotel is only 2 star. I would stay here again.
Look at the photos!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2009

The hotel fire alarm went off three times between midnight and dawn. The receptionist explained it was people smoking joints in their rooms.
We had a triple room. It was cramped, but then so is most Amsterdam accommodation. The bathroom was so small that you couldn't sit without opening the door. But it was clean, the beds were comfortable and the pillows seemed to be made of a block of tyre rubber. Our room had nice big windows and a view across a canal.
The breakfast was very ordinary for €9 extra. They didn't charge us for the one breakfast we had because of the fire alarm. Th staff were friendly but tiresomely bureaucratic, demanding a driver's licence or passport in case we bilked.
The hotel has made an attempt at a distinctive interior styling, but the fake Russian writing is naff.
It is well situated in a quiet and relatively open part of town, near some picturesque bridges and Rembrandt Square. For us it was a perfect location with great walks to every destination in central Amsterdam.
Value for money: in absolute terms it's expensive for what it offers; relative to other hotels of this category in Amsterdam, I expect you could do worse.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I*v just back from Amsterdam, were I*v stayed for 4 days in hotel Hermitage, and I want to say, likely for me non of revues was true. This are all old revues of hotel, which by the way they don’t only renamed but completely renovated. I don’t know what it was before, but now it is kind of boutique hotel. Extremely clean (almost sterile),great very helpful stuff, just 2 minutes walk from Rembrandt square. Before coming to Amsterdam I read all that bad stuff about hotel, but because my Dutch friends live in this area of Amsterdam I booked it anyway. I thought I don’t wanna spend a lot of time in the hotel and will be there only for sleeping - I gonna survive. But what a surprise really. I booked this hotel from Easytobook.com, there you can also see new pictures and read revues about real hotel Hermitage and not the old one(what eve it was).
If you wanna stay in the Centrum of Amsterdam, have a great beds in the room, have a possibility to communicate with receptionists (the speak English fluently ) for very reasonable price its your hotel!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business