“Nice restaurant but food lacking in flavour”
Review of Taj Indian

Taj Indian
Ranked #173 of 4,369 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Description: We are traditional North-Indian restaurant specialist in Tandoori oven, Curry, Vegatarian, Birriani's and traditional North-Indian breads. We also have special desserts and drinks.
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Based on reviews and being mad curry fans we opted for this place as it was rated 12 out of all of them...not just in indian cuisine.

This was not indian cuisine I was used to...

I had a korai and it was sorely lacking in heat and spice more like a stew type meal. There was no onion salad and we only got two poppadoms but had asked for four; they tasted like Sharwoods finest. Not the best after a long day of walking.

Can't fault the service and portion sizes but I don't want sweetcorn in my rice thanks.

If you are not a mad curry fan and want something fairly innocuous in a nice part of town then try here but it's not worth the long walk from Dam square to here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Since this was my second visit to the Taj Majal I asked the server to send my dishes the way HE likes them. He was a little bit worried that it might be a little bit to hot for me but I´m from Mexico and the owner already knew that, and made a comment to that respect, he fulfilled my wish. We ordered Samosas, red lentil soup, butterfly shrimp and finally I ordered one Curry Shrimp with a spicy, red and thick sauce and everything was excellent. We also ordered the Black Cobra Beer that went great with the food and finally a delicious mango lassy for dessert . If you are curious and can stand the heat ask for the JOSE FROM MEXICO treatment.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Food was good but quantity is pathetic. There was no difference in quantity between side dish and main dish. Food was tasty though. Location is great and ambiance is also nice. This restaurant is an authentic Indian restaurant. Service needs a little improvement as they take too much time for service. I found one of the waiters too rude and unprofessional as he was staring at us in a weird manner which was so unprofessional. Also, he patted on one of my friends back for informing us that he is going to get our dish soon. This is such a pathetic way of serving customers. I will not go back to this one again as there are other good value for money Indian restaurants available in Amsterdam. These guys need to get professional.

2  Thank KP85
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We visited this restaurant on a Friday night. It was really crowded so I would definitely recommend making a reservation.

Their menu has a wide array of choices to choose from. The food was excellent, you can see that they cook with fresh ingredients exclusively. I had the lamb karahi and my wife the prawn curry and both were excellent. I would also recommend their lassis and nans.

Service was very attentive and efficient.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

All 11 of us really enjoyed this restaurant. The owners and staff were very accommodating, and the food was delicious. We ordered an array of appetizers and main courses and they all were perfect and flavorful. It also also nice that they served us glasses of regular water with our wine and beer as most restaurants in Amsterdam they refuse to do so.