“Very good experiences”

The Greenhouse Effect
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very good experiences”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was terrific, and the staff were extremely nice and friendly, helping us a lot! The location can't be better, 10-min (probably less) walk from Amsterdam Centraal, and close to several city spots i.e. Dam, Red Light District, museums, etc. There's no elevator however, and the stairway is narrow. It may be a bit inconvenient for travelers with large baggage.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allison J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few nights ago with a friend and really enjoyed my stay. We stayed in the retro room, which was clean and had fresh towels everyday. It did still smell of weed from the previous guests but this did not bother us as we were going to do the same thing.the stairs were a bit epic so I wouldn't recommend this place for older people.the breakfast was very good, croissants, fruit, yoghurt,toast, rolls,ham ect, boiled eggs, orange juice Apple juice tea and coffee.staff were friendly and polite. It's location is very central which was ideal for us although a little loud at night but that's to be expected in the centre.I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely return on my next trip :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank missmunchies
Wales, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Following a previous visit to Amsterdam where we stayed at this hotel, we were keen to book again for the 17th May 2014. The booking was made back last November, of which we booked the 4 available apartments as there is a group of 16 of us. We were disappointed to receive an email a matter of days ago, stating that due to new legislation and laws in Amsterdam involving the rentals of apartments, our booking would have to be cancelled from immediate effect. At such short notice, I have been unable to find adequate accommodation for the 16 of us so we have had no other option other than to book into a youth hostel.

Following such a great holiday previously, I feel very let down by the hotel, especially as this has come at such short notice. I would like some clarification whether this is going to be an ongoing problem if booking for Amsterdam in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jugz5
Tehran
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Smoking is allowed in this hotel, so all sheeting smelt cannabis and cigarette! It's a too noisy hotel , a machine such as generator worked 24/24 and it was disturbing especially during the night. Travelers upstairs were young boys that they laughed with loud voice during the night, they carried the beds, chairs and ..... until 3:30 am! they smoked heavily and the fire alarm turned on around 3 am. We passed a horrible and terrible night there!!! In the rooms there is not phone and in emergency cases like that nobody could call reception or police! Telephone is necessary for rooms! My husband and I and my mother were in this hotel, my mother was in the other room and during the night I was worried about her because of strange travelers upstairs.
I strongly do not recommend this hotel for families and couples who would like to be relaxed and do not recommend this hotel for non smoking persons. We booked rooms for two nights but after first night we left the hotel and they refund us the money of second night that we had paid on arrival. The breakfast is not something special but it was OK. One of receptionist was a kind and polite lady and she understand us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank VictoriaTehran
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here last September, the room was far better then I thought from the pictures... being quite pricey and my friend insisting on the room we had. However, we stayed here for 3 nights and I loved it... the perfect place for hanging out- going to see all the sites it is very well located. The price wasn't bad considering how central it was and although there was no view from our window except a wall of the building opposite the interior decoration of the Arabian nights room was fantastic. The room was full of character and we spent lots of time in the room as well as out exploring. I would recommend this room to any of my friends I know they would love it too, but I did not get a chance to see any of the others and know that this one would probably suit me more so I wouldn't necessarily pay the prices for any other room!! Great breakfasts every morning and the coffee shop was ok too although always too busy for us to sit in there! Overall I had a fantastic time and would go back!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was our 2nd visit to Amsterdam, but our 1st visit to The GreenHouse Effect. Wish we had found it last year. Lovely little bar, a real find. Good selection of Ales and 'Loopy Tuesday is 2 for 7€, try and go down the list, and ask for the Frank Skinner, Duvet or the Hatty Jakes! Recommend the selection of meats and cheeses, it's a nice accompaniment to go with the drinks. We had a good couple of hours in there, felt relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere. Great location, very central, surrounded by loads more Bars, Cafe, and eateries! It's well worth a visit. Only downside was having to leave for the coach to the ferry.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

always busy and following the amsterdam tradition has a chilled atmosphere
drink prices are reasonable and staff are friendly.
always a good place to start the day off in,
located 5 minutes from everywhere too, can't fault the place.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends