“Good Place, Bad Sheets”

The Greenhouse Effect
Reviewed 6 March 2007

My best friend and I ventured to Amsterdam last summer when we were both 18, for four days and nights. We had booked the Turkish Delight room in the Greenhouse Effect hotel. We got checked in immediately by the ultra-friendly American barman. Now, the stairs on the way up to the room were a trial they were mind boggelingly steep and smaller than the average foot, especially when you have been sampling some of the local herbal produce but after a few trips you get used to them, then the only trouble being when you have to move your suitcases up/down, you do have to be extremely careful.

The room was comparable to a bedsit in size. It was all we required really, a small toilet and shower alongside. My favourite aspect being two large windows which were perfect for smoking cigarettes and joints out of on the hot summer nights long after you return home. Although we privately wondered about fire safety, especially with the stairway I previously mentioned!
I also found the decor quite pleasing, the floors seemed clean and shiney and we enjoyed sitting in the bright pink florescent chairs beside the windows. The beds were quite comfortable (but pushed together) and posed a problem - being that my bedsheets caused me a nightmare of itching, the worst I have ever encountered! I don't know why, or what reason, fleas, mites etc - I don't want to know! My friend and I swapped and that seemed to sort the problem, only I couldn't help feeling heavily disappointed and put off by the clear lack of hygiene, especially for the prices we payed.

We had a safe in our room - which didn't seem to work. We read the instructions but couldn't get it working so gave up and didn't bother complaining and made sure our important stuff was taken with us or hidden.
We entered our room via an entrance beside the bar, using a key-card system, which was convienient, as we got in nobodys way when we wanted to hurry upstairs to our room, which unfortunately happened several times, due to many overly persistant local men who frequent the coffee-shop constantly.
It can be quite disturbing at night as we lay in bed; the thin walls allow you to hear everything going on around you and outside and the door locks are fighteningly simple and could be very very easily picked or probably just shoved open by anybody.

The Greenhouse is however, perfectly situated in the heart of Warmoesstraat in the centre of the sex shops, smart shops and coffeeshops, you can spends hours and hours exploring the busy shops and bars in the area and then head down to the Red Light District and walk along the beautiful canalside.
From our experience the staff at the Greenhouse Effect were friendly and knowledgeable about everything you want to know about. Happy Hour discounts are constantly available to guests and breakfasts are simple and freely available in the morning.
I wouldn't say that this is the best place to stay, even as a young traveller who wasn't expecting the five star treatment, I remained freaked out by the itchy bed experience, something I wouldnt expect to concern me at all.

The location and customer discounts of the Greenhouse Effect coffee-shop, hotel and bar is the best thing about it. I highly rate the bar and coffeeshop, but I feel the hotel offers slightly less in security and most importantly hygiene.
I plan to visit Amsterdam again this summer as I enjoyed my last trip immensely, although I am planning to stay in a higher quality hotel this time around, as although Amsterdam itself could make up for any poor quality room, I would rather feel secure and comfortable and prepared for a non-itchy nights sleep when returning to my room.
Overall if you are looking for the ultimate basic stay in the perfect area, above a cool bar with a wonderful coffeeshop next door and willing to pay a bit more than you should and accept a few rough edges then this is perfect for you. I would definately stay again could I ensure a cleaner room.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
7  Thank Squarepear

Reviewed 12 January 2007

The hotel is right in the centre of Amsterdam, also near the train station. Their rooms are themed. Different but just what you want for a visit to Amsterdam. The hotel is above a the bar, and a coffee shop. Our room windows opened up onto the street, so we could watch the people passby and take it all in while we were chilling out in our room. Will be back for sure. The staff were very helpful and friendly, which made it even better.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank scot13
Reviewed 14 November 2006

Every room is themed and we stayed in the Turkish Delight room. As a couple two single beds squashed together can be a problem because as the night goes on one of you ends up in between the beds a few inches off the floor. However, I didn't mind this too much as being on the floor was preferable to being bitten by the fleas each night. The other bed was bugless. Thinking about it, we should have alternated beds each night.

The walls are also very thin so you can hear the laughter of the constantly stoned Yanks next door.

Our room was on the second floor up some very narrow stairs so if you have arsonphobia or are in a wheelchair don't bother. Also, for the price you could get somewhere a lot better.

On the postive side the location is spot on, breakfast was good and the staff are very helpful and of course the Dam is a wicked place.

Stayed: November 2006
5  Thank KRS2
Reviewed 2 November 2006

Stayed in "Urban Chill" with husband and friends and loved it! Real friendly staff. Our flight was cancelled last minute so we didn't make the first night booked and they didn't charge is for that night. Breakfast was good. Great that it was served until noon. The apartment was clean and spacey with window overlooking the street, great for people watching. As it's in a busy street it was very noisy but that didn't bother any of us. Would recommend!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crystaldreamer
Reviewed 1 November 2006

Greenhouse Effect's Uptown apartment was a great place to stay. Great view of Damrak from the living room. Place was clean enough but could have used some housekeeping for our 6 day stay. Floors got a little gritty. Fresh towels were provided daily outside our door since our do not disturb sign was up most of the time. I would stay there again. It was for a bachelor party, however, it's great for a bunch of people who just was to be in a great location and not mind the minor things. Bedroom was good enough to just sleep in (single beds). Lots of stairs though and lots of people roaming this part of town all day and night. 5 min walk to Red Light District, the Dam, Chinatown, de wagg, and central station. The apartment was right next to Hill Street Blues coffee shop and across from the the Green house effect bar. If you're there for the coffeeshops, bars and RLD this is the best location. There is a laundrymat with drop off services down the street. Noise was not an issue we faced the canal and damrak 3 stories up. The only noise was the Oudekerk bells that rang every hour not noticeable until we went to bed. The breakfast served daily was decent but only had it once. Only bad thing was a tiny mouse which I heard is common in this part of town. None of my friends and I were freaked out but were just determined to catch it to toy around with it and maybe get it a little stoned. No bugs but had mosquito bites from keeping the windows open to clear out smoke. Overall a fantastic experience.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank NormSF
Reviewed 2 October 2006

Last visted this place 3 1/2 years ago, on booking in August found out that the manager, Ruth, was still there. The hotel & cafe is about a 5 min walk from the Dam Rak...

A very swift and pleasant booking followed taking the rooms Urban Chill, Lounge Suite, Dutch Touch and Global Fusion.

Given a very warm welcome and made to feel at home, these rooms and apartments were all rated very highly by our group and also extremely good value for money.

Breakfast was a simple (but well done affair) with breads, meats, cheeses cakes and fruit.

Only one minor downside - the local church bells bang out "Onward Christian Soldiers" every hour on the hour, and also play a little ditty every 15 mins. Urban Chill seemed to be the only room affected though.

I strongly recommend this place and the amazing staff (especially Ruth & Heleen) to everyone.

• Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank David Finch
Reviewed 27 September 2006

We stayed in the Turkish Delight Room for a week in September. Considering we were in Europe the room was a decent size for two people, and the ensuite bathroom was acceptable/average. The staff was nice in the bar and just bareable in the coffeehouse. The hotel was in a great location; however, a little sketchy for two girls walking back late at night. There are alot of weirdos that hungout on that street outside the hotel and someone attempted to pick-pocket me during the day right outside the hotel. Well enough about the downsides. The rooms were clean, we got fresh towels in the morning, the breakfast was decent, the windows opened, and there was a discount at the coffeehouse and bar downstairs. Another plus is that the hotel staff is well non-existant so there really is no one to bother you to wake you up and clean your room early in the morning, which was nice. I would stay in the Greenhouse Effect again and would definately not suggest this hotel for anyone that has families/doesn't smoke/doesn't want to be in the red light district/etc. The hotel had a great location, decent size rooms, and decent decor. It's tough to judge the value/price of the room, because the rooms are slightly unique and it depends what you are looking for in your hotel. I hope the pictures help you make your choice. Tons of restaurants/coffeehouses/things to do around the hotel.

Stayed: September 2006