See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The location is good- an easy walk from the city center through a safe neighboorhood. Reception was very friendly.

I stayed in a single room, which was small and had a soft and very wobbly bed that hit the radiator at one end and the closet at the other. The room juuuust barely got an intermittent wireless signal. It was cleanish, in the sense that it was well-vacuumed and dusted and didn't smell. All the furnishings are pretty cheap and pretty old- marks on the walls and carpet, etc. None of this was particularly surprising or bothersome, because I paid 50 Euros for a night, so hey, expect "hostel" more than "hotel" or "B&B."

Since it was December, I can report that the heater was OK but not super powerful. I used all the spare blankets in the closet, which really aggravated some dusty allergic reaction for me. But they did supply plenty of spare blankets, which was good. Only one of them had marijuana bits stuck to it (this didn't seem like a super-rowdy facility and it didn't smell of smoke or anything like that).

Breakfast was lovely! Coffee, bread, a slice each of ham and cheese, jam, and a hardboiled egg.

I'd be happy to stay here again. The price is right and the staff are really pleasant. Go in expecting no frills.

Date of stay: December 2013
1  Thank cardboard_balloons
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I'm always smiling when I arrive - it's a couple of blocks off the main drag - perfectly located in the Jordan district. It's clean, confortable, welcoming - it's always a delight. The lovely little breakfast always starts my day on the correct foot. This is my second visit and hopefully, not my last. Local markets are a delight - they are an easy stroll and always interesting. The tram services makes the hotel very assessable to any location that you are interested in.

Bottom line - I love it.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very tiny hotel but very clean and very quiet. You will find an excellent service and excellent location. This location allows you to visit all places in the Centre. It’s a walking distance to everything. Anna Frank House and also Dam Square is near by. Hotel Van Onna is very good value for money and we would stay there again. The staff was helpful and extremely friendly. Breakfast being included in the cost was a great bonus. We were also thrilled to get a free upgrade to bedroom with a canal view! And it wasn’t noisy at all!

Breakfast is wonderful and consists of: coffee or tea, 1 hardboiled egg, ham and cheese, homemade bread (white and wheat), some kind of crispy biscuit, jam, butter and chocolate sprinkles.

The hotel has a nice entrance on the street.

We will definitely go back.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This was very good value for money. My room, in the annex, was tiny, and very basic but clean and perfectly fine for the price. The hotel is in a great location, a real Amsterdam neighbourhood and very central, right on a canal. Not too touristy, and charming. The breakfast was also very good. Only problem was that I was kept up at night by noisy guests returning from their big night out ( it was a Saturday) and shouting, banging up and down the stairs. But hey for sixty euros I really can't complain.

Trip type: Travelled solo