“Basic hotel at basic price”

Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel
Ranked #229 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Basic hotel at basic price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Efficient basic hotel at reasonable price with ditto personel, bar and restaurant . Nothing fancy besides free carparking. Small room with fridge and fairly clean. Not for long stay. Too far away from public transports, but OK for youngsters.

Room Tip: Ask for room not too close to elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels.

Maik Willems

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Herne Bay, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel suited our needs as we were not aiming to spend much time in the hotel. The breakfasts were quite expensive but on the plus side they are all you can eat so if you want value for money then fill up your plate enough times so that you do not have to spend much money on lunch. The staff were friendly and the rooms were kept very clean and tidy. I would say that the location is ideal if you want to escape the rushed and hectic atmosphere of Amsterdam and also being 10 minutes away from the nearest metro station you can travel to the city and back with the GVB travel passes. I would not recommend if you are going away as a couple and looking for something fancy & romantic

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike T
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear guest,

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Amsterdam.

Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I had stayed here for a night in first week of May'13. Had to opt for this as my usual option was fully booked. Room was neat and clean but small. Access was okay with 5-7 min walk to the station. Reception was not so clean but there was good sitting space in the lobby. I did not opt for breakfast as the reviews in tripadvisor were not good. Wifi bandwidth was good. Staff at reception were okay. Overall, an okay experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

Liversedge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Room was cleanbut starngely very basic. Think Travelodge 10-15 yrs ago and you've got it! No breakfast included in price and my husband was fed up that our room was next to the public door to the bar/reception. Smelly bathroom/toilet too which in the morning was much worse that I had to hold my breath in there. Shower head was almost dilocated which gave a poor shower. Thankfully it was our first night on our 8night bicycle tour of the Netherlands so the shower was not so desperately needed. Did expect more as we booked it back in January but we did seem to get the hotels worst & noisiest room. 10 min walk to Over Amstel station or 15 minute walk to Spaklerweg. If you are walking or need good access to the transport system then don't stay here. Nice-ish bar but out of keeping with lorry-driver type or working mans Monday to Friday digs. They were able to accommodate the two bicycles we had with us in the garage below the hotel free of charge.

Room Tip: Stay away from busy thoroughfare rooms to avoid doors opening and shutting all night driving you nut...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Very horrible hotel.
10..15 minutes walking to get to the closest metro station (metro 51, at OverAmstel station). Then other 15 minutes to arrive to Amsterdam Central Station. Remember the train (in the evening) passes every 20/30 minutes.

Breakfast price is 14 euros per person.

One day the hot water in the bathroom was missing...

Every room in the hotel twin-set bedroom.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank GFabrizio
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013

Maik Willems

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Going to Amsterdam by car? Forget it. Or rob a bank to pay for the horrendous parking fees. Or check into the Bastion: it has free parking and is still close enough to the city and to a metro station (5 min walk, then 4 metro stops to Weesperplein station). The metro runs till after midnight.
The hotel itself is a quiet and clean place, its staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are spacious.
Recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear guest,

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Amsterdam.

Ta' Xbiex, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Staff has a very poor attitude to clients. Expect to be ignored at the bar counter for a long while while the staff gets on with other things not directly related to other clients at the bar. Expect also to be sitting at the restaurant tables waiting for staff to take your order, but the staff never comes to take the order. And with only 6 covers in the restaurant at the time, workload was not an excuse.

When I book a lower price hotel I expect a lack of facilities, but I do not expect this attitude.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have train tracks passing outside, making it hard for you to sleep if you are a li...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Amstel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013