“Perfectly nice hotel with FREE parking” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord

Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord
Ranked #196 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Mur-de-Barrez, France
“Perfectly nice hotel with FREE parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was a very nice, clean hotel just on the outskirts of the city WITH free parking but you will need a good map or SatNav to find it! Fairly typical modern low rise building in an office/residential area. Very clean and well laid out. We did not eat at the Hotel, mostly as we chose to go in and out of the city, but also because it didn't seem that cheap. The Reception staff were very helpful and told us how to get into the city by bus which was a five minute walk from the hotel and, by the looks of the roadworks, it will be an even quicker walk quite soon. We would stay there again quite happily.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Max W
, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear guest,

Tthank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

Maik Willems

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,324 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

We booked into this hotel but didnt manage to stay in this hotel. 12 hours before we checked in, the hotel wrote us an email and told us they are experiencing system fault therefore our booking was supposed to be in Bastion Amsterdam West. We were quite dissapointed that we have been tossed and turned around by the hotel manager and decided to book into Ibis Amsterdam. In the end, we wrote an email to booking.com and the hotel directly. The operation manager of Bastion refunded us the loss we had which was really good!

I will definitely try and book into this hotel again because we heard so many good reviews about this hotel and would hope that one day we will have a chance to stay here.

If you feel that my tips are awesome and helpful, kindly please click 'yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord, responded to this review, 28 June 2012

citizen of the world
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

in terms of average Amsterdam prices of course ;)
After days of browsing various hotel/hostel sites, desperate to find accommodation for a couple of days in Amsterdam, I finally found this hotel and I must say this is exactly what I was looking for.
Budget chain hotel, 10 minutes to get downtown by bus [32 and 33 - at the time the hotel's website said 36 instead but afaik this is no longer relevant; buses arrive more or less every 10 minutes, the bus stop is close to the hotel]. The location is very quiet and peaceful, green, birds singing in the morning etc. - nice contrast with most downtown hotels. The rooms have bathrooms which, again as I have noticed when browsing various sites, is not a default condition for accommodation in Amsterdam. Rooms have tea/coffee facilities, no AC but I had a fan, which helped a lot because the only window that opened was tiny [typical for chain hotels so I'm not complaining], very! comfy beds, refrigerators for your own use [unlike many hotels where you are forbidden to bring any food/beverages purchased outside], safe deposit boxes, typical bathroom items like shower gel or caps - no hairdryer though. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. Good wi-fi connection everywhere in the hotel. Note for smokers: all rooms are non-smoking rooms but there is a nice smoking lounge downstairs ;) There is a restaurant but since I chose to dine downtown I can't say whether it is any good. The breakfasts are though - at least to me - eggs and bacon, various buns and croissants, a variety of cold cuts, cheese and jams/honey, yoghurt, couple of types of cornflakes/muesli, juice, coffee and tea, so everyone should find something they like. The staff is very, very friendly and helpful. There is a car park in front of the hotel which, again, seems not to be typical for most Amsterdam hotels. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at Bastion very much and will certainly consider it next time I visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank chomskey_on_the_rox
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord, responded to this review, 14 June 2012

Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

if you do not want to spend real fortune and stay in tiny hotels in amsterdam city center, then this hotel is ok. but i would not go there again....
location - very comfortable, as even being far from city center there is great publick transport connection. in front of the hotel there is a bus stop and buses no 32 and 33 are going every 10 min to the central railway station. so it woulld take you less then 15 min to get to red lights district. buses are coming from early morning till late night. each ride will cost you 4 euros per person...
rooms - small and dark....one little window and a bra on the wall.....we were travelling in may but it was freesing in the room at night...we even asked for extra blankets....window was overlooking the street so it was rather noisy....
breakfast - surprisingly good. basic but oferring drincable coffee and several hot dishes..at least this breakfast was enought for my husband not to be hungry till 3 pm...:-)
parking - small parking in front of the hotel free of charge.
internet- free wifi in the room, but with very low signal.
smoking - prohibited in rooms but there is cosy smoking room in the lobby.
be aware that there are no any bars or cafes in the hotel area - just one either japaniese or chinese. hotel bar can offer you basic menue at relatively adequate price....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JungleCatUkraine
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies,

windsor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed here as a group of 4 in june last year as we were driving across europe. We stayed the 1 night got the bus into town which was cheap and easy as advised by the helpful staff. Hotels are not cheap in amsterdam and this was reasobly priced and had a car park which we needed.

Just one word of warning there is another bastion hotel in amsterdam and a cab took us to the wrong 1 although we were pretty drunk not to notice, Cabs are not cheap and it cost us 30 euro to get back to the correct hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank paulh1982
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your review regarding Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam Centrum/ Noord on Tripadvisor. Your opinion is very importrant to us, it will help us to increase our service.

Looking forward to welcome you in the future in one of the Bastion Hotels.

Kind regards,

Director
New Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

My friend and I stayed at this particular Bastion Hotel in 2008 for 7 days (that was the plan). The service was great the staff were wonderful, friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed them. The hotel was clean and the beds were comfy. (2 single beds were great for my friend and I but would not have been acceptable for my husband and I) Access to the internet in the lobby was helpful for keeping in touch with family and also checking itineraries for the next part of our trip.the hotel was undergoing some external upgrades but the noise did not effect our stay. The location was not in the midst of everything but you could get to all the action in minutes on a short bus ride. (We purchased multi-day transportation passes for the city transportation services)

All in All we had a great first 6 days! We were headed to Switzerland the next day by euro-rail. We decided to go have a quick dinner, come back and pack up for the next days trip. We got back from dinner and somebody had climbed the scaffolding on the back of the building and pushed in our window and took the whole safe out of room, the safe was not secured properly, but "hidden" in a closet. In it was our passports and my friends entire wallet. We went across the street (literally) to the police substation to get the police and it took 45 minutes because nobody actually mans that particular station. We finally got them, they said they would have to come back the next day and take prints etc.etc. We had to stay another night, and pay for it. The manager did give us free meals.

We did eventually get replacement passports in Bern, Switzerland. The consulate in Amsterdam was horrible and unhelpful, it was like being robbed of something even more valuable than the passports ~ dignity and hope! They actually made us feel like the criminals!

Upon our return to the US I tried to contact Bastion Hotels to discuss our incident at their hotel and could not get in touch with them in any way shape or form. For months I tried. They had all my info, and were aware of the incident and never contacted me either. This lack of concern and professionalism by the company itself will keep us from ever staying at another Bastion Hotel anywhere.

Thankfully I took travel insurance for myself (my friend skipped it) and I was reimbursed by my policy for most of the inconvenience, including the replacement passport, extra hotel nights in Amsterdam and Bern, and extra meals and train travel. Thank you CSA and my friends Tom and Don for insisting I get travel insurance!

Moral of this review: If the safe is not nailed down, don't trust it! And ask why it isn't! Buy trip insurance, it was less than $80 and worth every penny!! If traveling abroad leave $120 with a trusted family member or friend so the consulate can call them for you and request they wire the money directly to them. They will not allow you to make a call, nor will they accept anything but cash from you!!!(I had my Chase Master Card, they would not take it) Oh and you can not receive a Western Union transfer in another country with out a passport.

Room Tip: Make sure the safe is secured!