“Good hotel, poor staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, poor staff”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had an enjoyable stay whilst attending an exhibition and I cannot fault the hotel itself. However I have since been charged almost EUR 400 for a room that was already paid for. Despite being told I would be refunded, I have not and I simply cannot get a response from the hotel and get a refund. This has ruined my overall perception of the hotel and has led me to question staying there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Mr Steve, I am so sorry you have experienced this inconvenience which gave you a doubtable perception of the hotel and service afterwards. Could you please send me an e-mail (n.drullman@nh-hotels.com) so I can immediately investigate this matter?

Again my sincere apologies for this situation! I truly hope we can solve it as soon as possible and that we will get the opportunity to show you that we are able to provide you the service you deserve!

Nicky Drullman - Management Asssitant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 17 May 2014

A good hotel, well located, near from the museums, centre and other places. Good accomodations , well cleaned, good breakfast and with good price. I recommend. The rooms are quite large and silents. Good option.

Room Tip: The most higher, best. In the lateral street better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you Murieloal for taking the time placing a review with such useful information for our future guests! Will you think of NH when planning your next city trip?

With kind regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel has a great location.....Bus across the street for 5 euros takes you to and from the airport...You are right by the Van Gogh and Rykes museum and across the street from all the restaurants and night life area.......The normal room is small but comfortable..Most rooms have no view what so ever unless you want to upgrade to a premium room..You are always looking at a building.....The staff is pleasant and helpful....Rooms are clean....Hallway carpeting is dirty....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Iowa
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was my second and third stay here. I used Priceline Express Deals to get a great rate.

At check-in we were given an upgrade to a premium room. This was a huge corner room with a view of the front toward the canal and Leidsplein. Some may find the front of the hotel to be noisy. We did not. We were out late all nights and had no trouble with noise after midnight or 1am. Housekeeping freshened the room daily. All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.
This was one of the biggest things I noticed. The entire staff deserves praise for their attention to customer service. Well done!!

Beds were very comfortable. Bedding was clean soft.

Location is a few minutes walk from the tram stop at Leidseplein. Tram from Central Station to Leidseplein takes about 10-12 minutes. The 197 bus to and from Schiphol also stops here. Hotel to airport plaza in 30 minutes. Cost is 5 euro each way.

We used the hotels bag storage to store our luggage while we checked out and went to Paris for a few days. This was a free service and much appreciated.

We did not take advantage of breakfast or room service. There are many restaurants, bars, and cafes within a few minutes walk.

We will be back for a 4th visit.

Room Tip: Regular rooms can be small but normal for Europe. There seem to be at least 3 or 4 different type ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We are stunned by your awesome review here on TripAdvisor. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences! We are so glad to read you enjoyed the room situated on the corner. Isn't the view from this room great? Thank you for the compliments with regards to the staff as well. We constantly strive to provide the ultimate guest experience and it is very satisfying to read that we did a good job according to you. We will definitely share it among the teams.

We look forward welcoming you again in the (nearby) future!

Whiteness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I am familiar with NH hotels and have stayed in quite a few of them. I found the room to be clean and perfectly adequate, the staff very efficient and friendly and we loved the buffet breakfast which was plentiful and of a high standard. Location wise this hotel is also ideal being just across the road from the lively Leidsplein. The only slight negative I have regarding this hotel is the price which I felt was on the expensive side however for location, quality and service I would happily stay here again and I would have no issue recommending to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Stuart,
We are very pleased and delighted to read you enjoyed your stay in our hotel so much! Thank you for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor. I am sure our staff would be happy to provide you with great new recommendations, should you plan you next stay with us again! :-)

With regards to our roomrates, these are depending on the activities and conventions held in the city and the beginning of May was very busy for Amsterdam, so perhaps that explains a bit. If you are planning your next visit, please inform me (n.drullman@nh-hotels.com) so I can check the best available rate for you!

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Ellenton, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were on tour so I cannot comment about the price. The rooms were luxurious. location great walking distance to most attractions. Breakfast was superb, many choices, European type meat and cheese as well as American style.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook a park that is popular to young people and is noisy until early AM hours
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank acandrilli
Thank you very much for your review and for leaving such useful information for our future guests! We hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

With kind regards,
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The reception area is very clean and well lit. The check in staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. Special thanks going to Demi Menzinga, who went out of his way to sort train times out for us.
The rooms are very spacious and very well equipped. the toiletries provided in the bathroom are very welcome. There is a very standard of housekeeping throughout the hotel.
The breakfast is excellent also. A great selection of continental food, with a fruit, croissants, hams, cheeses etc. An English breakfast is also available, but with only a few items to choose from, but non the less, of good standard.
The hotel is ideally situated and on the tram route from the main railway station. Restaurant and shops are just a short walk away.
I will definitely use this hotel again if I visit Amsterdam.
Great food, Great staff and Great prices.

Room Tip: I had room 151 which was out the back of the hotel, but with good double glazing I am sure the rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
A five bullet rating is really the biggest compliment we could get. Thank you so much! With great pleasure we have read your positive experiences. Especially your satisfaction with regards to the service provided by our staff and in particular Demi. We will share your words with him and the rest of the staff.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel!