“Good location”

NH Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #140 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel was a present as part of a trip and I must say reading the review prior to the trip I was already disappointed but thought would keep an open mind.
Check in was good and friendly service however my husband was excited as he thought he had booked an upgraded room and it was like something from the 70's!!! The room was large, nice view but too much wood Nd not enough storage space. There was nothing special about the room and a few too many stains on the carpet for my liking!!!!

During breakfast the staff were not friendly and it was a bit of a fight for the food as the buffet was not kept fully stocked. Overall not a great experience.

The location was good and was within walking distance to some excellent restaurants and the museum location was great.

I would stay again but would after to be at a decent rate otherwise would go elsewhere

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,721)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I chose this nh hotel because I have stayed in their other hotels in Europe before and loved certain things about them. Because of this, I was quite disappointed by the missing touches at the nh Amsterdam centre.
Where were the nh napkins with words of motivation? And no pen or pad in the room to write down those great ideas that strike at 2am.
But my biggest disappointment was in the toiletries. No toothbrush and paste, no shaving kit, no sponge. All the things that I love about staying here were missing this time (when flying with carry on luggage only, a shaving kit is a necessity I think). Small things I know, but they were a big influence in me choosing this hotel over others.
However, there were lots of great things about this hotel! Clean as a whistle, with lovely decoration throughout. Great sized room - enough space for my friend and I to stretch out without getting in each other's way - and a fantastic shower with love hot water.
The staff were really friendly throughout, I couldn't fault them at all. And the location was perfect for nearby museums, vondelpark, and a wealth of fantastic restaurants!

I love Amsterdam and will be back. Might need to search for my motivational quotes elsewhere though.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire D
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Claire D,

Thank you so much for leaving a review with regards to your stay in our hotel. Your experience as a guest is of great value to us and we are sorry to read you were somewhat disappointed.

We would like to inform you that we are currently rebranding. This does mean that the napkins you mention have been replaced by other ones that do not have the lines for 'words of motivation' anymore. However a pen and notepad should always be present in the rooms and I truly apologize for it not being there.

The toiletries have also been renewed. In all standard rooms the items that should be present are: shower gel, shampoo, body lotion and soap. Just one phone call away and the staff will provide you with all other requested items (such as dental kit, shaving kit, sponge etcetera), so please do not ever hesitate to contact them by phone or stop by at the front desk.

We truly appreciate you mentioning the good things of your stay as well, thank you for the compliments!

It would be a pleasure welcoming you back at the NH Amsterdam Centre when you are planning your next trip!

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the NH Amsterdam Centre with my partner on a two night trip to Amsterdam. The staff were very helpful and helped us find everything we needed. The room was very clean and comfortable the only thing that stopped me from giving five stars was that we had two beds pushed together which was fine although not ideal. The hotel is in a ideal location, it's within walking distance of everything. If I return to Amsterdam I will defiantly stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauren l
t_lebbink, Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Lauren,

First of all, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experiences within our hotel. We are happy to read the nice compliments about our staff and cleanliness.

Our apologies to read that you have stayed in a room with seperated beds. Our check in procedure is to always ask our guests which roomtype they prefer. Please accept our apologies and we hope your travels will soon bring you back to the NH Amsterdam Centre!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have lost count the number of N H hotels we have stayed in , in this fabulous city. This is one of our favourite ones, the other being the Krasnapolski. we have never been disappointed in either that or the N H Amsterdam centre.We stayed there last week and the fab staff...Wendy upgraded us to a better room with no problems at all. We also had no problems in getting a late check out... We also left our bags with the concierge. All in all yet another fabulous stay in a great chain of hotels. So near to everything yet quiet when needed, just right. Will definitely stay here again.....hopefully very soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in have been great, no problems at all
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3420mumby

Dear 3420mumby,

What a pleasure reading this comment posted by such loyal guests of the NH Hotel Group! We will communicate your compliments among the staff, thank you very much for taking the time to share them on TripAdvisor.

It was a delight having you as our guests and it would be great to welcome you back in the nearby future!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This visit did not start out well for us at all. I was traveling with my 18 year old daughter and had requested a room with two beds. I emailed the hotel right after making the reservation a month before our travels, and again a few days prior to our arrival. Upon check-in, they told me they had a room for us with two beds before I could even mention it, but when we got up to the room, that was not the case. I went back down to the desk and spoke with the manager, who apologized, but said they had no rooms left with two beds, but they could move us the next day. I pointed out the two previous confirmations and noted that my daughter did not want to share a bed with her father, so I was given a second room to sleep in for the night so I would have my own bed. I do give them points for doing what the could, but still, was disappointed in not getting the accommodations we requested.

My daughter became ill the next morning (kidney stone) and I took her by taxi to the Emergency Room. The hotel staff called a taxi for us and gave us advice on which hospital to visit. When we arrived back at the hotel later in the day, there was a nice note from hotel management wishing my daughter well along with a fruit tray and bottled water. They then let us move into a room with two beds without rushing us to move out of the first room.

So, sorry to say, we spent a lot more time in the hotel than we had hoped to on our four day visit. It was only on the final day of our trip that we were able to enjoy Amsterdam. The room we had the final three nights was nice and comfortable. It was very quiet and the "do not disturb" sign did it's job.

What I can say about the hotel is that it is conveniently located. Rooms are comfortable. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was included and was wonderful with lots of choices. The only things that keeps me from rating it 5 stars were the initial reservation issues and the lack of an on-site gift shop for incidentals I needed for my daughter while she was ill. If I go to Amsterdam again, I would certainly consider staying with them.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front overlook the canal, but the view is mostly obscured by trees. I actually enjoyed...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Yes, you read correctly. On a recent business trip I left ALL of my valuables in the safe which I had unlocked but forgot to empty. My Ipad, my passport, my wallet, keys, jewellery that was obviously expensive, almost €200 and £300 cash, and my credit cards.

I realised this mistake when I arrived at the airport in a taxi after a long day of business meetings. The driver turned around and I called the hotel – reception were aware that I had left the items and I didn’t have to explain very much, I just had to return for them. The fact that the items had given to hotel security by housekeeping, and also communicated to the front desk was an excellent show of internal communication. When I arrived at the hotel, clearly flustered, they could not have been calmer. I am quite confident that if I had not returned to the hotel a security procedure was in place to track me down and return everything to me.

After verifying it was me – they had the passport! They handed over a bag with everything in it. I have to admit, I was expecting something to be missing - shame on my for my doubt – EVERY penny, every item was in the bag. I offered thanks, praise, and a small amount of cash for the housekeeper who handed the items in but the tip was graciously declined. What a class act this hotel is.

This was not the first act of excellent service I experienced at the hotel. Check in was smooth and polite, the room was impeccably clean and comfortable, the late night mojito in the bar was a great way to end a day and the service from every staff member was something most hotel general managers can only dream about.

So well done to the NH Amsterdam Centre. I am really impressed and commend your fabulous team. Keep up the good work.

The location of this hotel is excellent for visitors – go towards the centre and you hit great high street shopping, the flower market, great bars and restaurants and the more renowned district. Practically next door to the hotel is the Vondle Park – a beautiful park for running or a walk, and over the road some must do’s such as the museums and the hard rock café 

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicola L

Dear Nicola L,

What a stressful moment on the day of departure! We are very glad that we could collect all the forgotten items and return them to you quickly.

Thank you for leaving such great compliments here on TripAdvisor. The location, check in, the cleanliness in the room, the mojito in Lounge 'L, the service provided by all staff members, what more could we wish for than our guest that just wants us to keep up the good work? Thank you again.

When planning your next trip, will you think of NH?

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Good hotel. Excellent location in Amsterdam city centre. Some tram and bus stops in front of the hotel. Other stops (including bus to Schiphol Airport) 4-5 minutes walk away only. Close to most famous museums, theatres, Concertgebouw, lots of restaurants etc.

Friendly and efficient staff. Excellent buffet breakfast. Rooms complete and comfortable as can be expected from a 4 star NH Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple