“Why has this hotel not being closed for public health reasons?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Acca/Van Gogh
Ranked #366 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 October 2007

This is the worst hotel I ever stayed in. I paid for two nights but only stayed for one. Please save yourself the pain and book into a proper hotel.

To sum up my experience here are a few of the highlights:

Vomit stained carpets in the hallways
Dodgy and scary lift
Dodgy fire escapes
Poorly lit hallways (probably to hide the vomit stains)
Dodgy room door locks (do not bring valuables with you and I wouldn't recommend leaving them in the hotel 'safe' either)
Bathroom is more a wet room and is by no means hygienic
No hot water
Dirty towels
Blood stained implement found in room
Evidence that room was broken in to previously
My door lock for the night was some furniture that I moved in front of the door to prevent it been broken into
Blood on the underside of my pillow (which I only notice in the morning)
Dead insect which I suspect was a bed bug or other parasite (again I only noticed this in the morning)

Please do not stay at this hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Besharps
There are newer reviews for Hotel Acca/Van Gogh

Reviewed 17 July 2007

3 words of advice:

Don't do it!

Just have a look at the photos posted....

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank gsterLondon
Reviewed 24 June 2007

Do not get this one mixed with the Acro which is just up the road where our friends were staying, so we had something to compare with. Certainly not 3 star, I wouldn't give it a 1. Rooms I am sure are let out by the hour. We didn't even get up for breakfast ofter the first morning, not worth the effort.

One of the worst.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindyloocardiff
Reviewed 18 June 2007

From reading some of the other reviews I was prepared to be staying in an absolute dump but in reality its ok. The bedding was clean, as was the bathroom and the staff were friendly and helpful. Its really close to Leidseplein and Heinken Experience is walking distance too. Dont have champagne taste and beer money, you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Aberdeendon
Reviewed 21 May 2007

One day before our 3-night trip to Amsterdam our travel agent called and explained that hotel Sander which we had booked and paid well in advance was anyway full and that we would be staying at hotel Acca instead. I had read the TripAdvisor reviews before so I knew what to expect. The hotel really was very filthy, and not at all according to any west european standards! The beds were uncomfortable, the toilet/bathroom disgusting, as everything in our room. At least the heating worked. Breakfast was a bad way to start the day, the plates etc were sometimes dirty.. The location was good though. Very nice connections by tram, the neighborhood was both central and quiet. Anyway, PLEASE AVOID THIS HOTEL, it will be a disappointment!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank RandomTraveler7
Reviewed 1 May 2007

from the entrance lobby this place didnt look too bad. seemed like the perfect cheap deal. when we got to check in at 3 oclock (they said 8am would be fine) we unpacked our bags an put our clothes away.
we stupidly left our bags in the room...dont leave anything here. The
next day when one of our group needed to take his medication for epilepsy he realised his bag had gone from the locked room (the doors lock behind you automatically. Within his bag was two important
drugs that he needs to keep him alive and his passport. Staff in the place where not even bothered. We had to travel to a hospital, a chemist and 2 police stations all the biggest distance you can imagine from each other. which was difficult for our wheelchair bound
member of the group. The walls an carpets where full of stains,
the bathroom looked like somethin from 1973. DO NOT EVEN THINK about going here.

The amsterdam police and paramedics where excellent. Amsterdam is an amazing an beautiful place, the hours of hell this caused where outweighed by lots of fun!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank toasted151
Reviewed 15 April 2007

Most of the reviews are accurate, however this is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for. I went with my wife and 2 children (9 & 12) and stayed in room 316. There were lots of small problems (lights, bathroom), however it was clean and we slept well. The breakfast was basic, but fresh. The staff were very helpful. What you get here is a great location at a budget price. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in, yes, but also the cheapest city centre one.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family