“Not as bad as the others claim”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Acca/Van Gogh
Ranked #367 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 1 April 2008

I just came home from a weekend stay at Acca. After reading these reviews I was so terrified, but I was happy to find out that we had a big room with four single beds. Clean sheets, clean room. The bathroom was clean, but not the nicest one. It had some strange spots on the walls, but you get what you pay for. We chose this hotel because we wanted something cheap. Well, to be the cheapest hotell we could find in Amsterdam, it was a lot better than we expected. I also felt very safe that the receptionist was very strict with giving out the key, we almost had to show ID. And he always asked where the others were if we didn't go home all four at once.
I would recommend this.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Acca/Van Gogh

Reviewed 17 March 2008

I have just returned from a weekend break in Amsterdam, staying in this absolute pile of flith hotel. The lift didn't work, there were no batteries in the TV remote and the room was in a terrible state..

I travelled with my moaning wife and she hated it more than me, I would recommend people stay away from this hotel at all costs.

Ps - The staff were very helpful and it was in a great location but the hotel needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TonyT78
Reviewed 5 November 2007

This is the worst place in Amsterdam. We booked two twin rooms but the manager tried to palm us off with a huge, cold, filthy, dangerous, unhealthy,smelly dorm style room with four single beds, one wardrobe (with no doors, it's own graffiti, no hangers or rail) and a bathroom we felt dirtier coming out of! He gave us an extra room eventually but we didn't use it on the second night as we felt safer all sleeping together in one room. We didn't try the breakfest after imagining the condition the kitchen must be in. Honestly, trust the reviews on this site. We didn't and regretted it.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank adampowell
Reviewed 29 October 2007

This was by far the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. The carpets were not vacuumed, the blankets on the beds had cigarette burns in them, wires were hanging out of the ceiling, the bathroom shower curtain had mold and mildew on it, the bathroom and shower floor had hair on it and there were spider webs all over the place. To top off the already terrible room conditions, the temperature in the room was well over 100 degrees (F) while sleeping at night. The breakfast was a complete joke. The hotel charges 7.40 euro for a meal that includes coffee, one slice of bread and one slice of cheese. After leaving the hotel it was concluded that sleeping in the car would have been a better option than staying at this hotel. Overall review: Overpriced, unsanitary and unsafe.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank nild21
Reviewed 16 October 2007

This is the worst hotel I ever stayed in. I paid for two nights but only stayed for one. Please save yourself the pain and book into a proper hotel.

To sum up my experience here are a few of the highlights:

Vomit stained carpets in the hallways
Dodgy and scary lift
Dodgy fire escapes
Poorly lit hallways (probably to hide the vomit stains)
Dodgy room door locks (do not bring valuables with you and I wouldn't recommend leaving them in the hotel 'safe' either)
Bathroom is more a wet room and is by no means hygienic
No hot water
Dirty towels
Blood stained implement found in room
Evidence that room was broken in to previously
My door lock for the night was some furniture that I moved in front of the door to prevent it been broken into
Blood on the underside of my pillow (which I only notice in the morning)
Dead insect which I suspect was a bed bug or other parasite (again I only noticed this in the morning)

Please do not stay at this hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Besharps
Reviewed 17 July 2007

3 words of advice:

Don't do it!

Just have a look at the photos posted....

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank gsterLondon
Reviewed 24 June 2007

Do not get this one mixed with the Acro which is just up the road where our friends were staying, so we had something to compare with. Certainly not 3 star, I wouldn't give it a 1. Rooms I am sure are let out by the hour. We didn't even get up for breakfast ofter the first morning, not worth the effort.

One of the worst.