“Adequate”
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #193 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Seattle, Washington
“Adequate”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This hotel has a good location on the Singel canal has and some charm. But the room are noisy as there is activity on the street and for ventilation the windows need to be open. No wifi in the rooms. Little help for local activities and sites (which abound in Amsterdam!) from the American hosts. Breakfast is normal European fare. Rooms are fine. We like the quirkiness factor, but we just hoped for a little more.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank promomomo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My husband, teenage son, and I stayed here for two nights. Colleen and the rest of the staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room, the "Vermeer" was a triple, with plenty of space for the three of us. We had a large bathroom, along with a flat screen TV. It was warm, but we got a nice breeze through the room at night. The breakfast was simple, but filling, lovely, and delicious. Yes, the steps are steep and there are many. Yes, the elevator is teensy (I lugged bags up those spiral stairs rather than go in it, as I'm a bit uncomfortable in tight spaces). But the historic charm, the space for all three of us, the price, the friendliness, and best of all, the location, made it this a lovely place to stay. The location, right on the Singel canal, is one of the biggest advantages. We had a beautiful view of the canal from our room. Yes, there are "red light" windows down the street, but everything you could want is a short walk away, including the central rail station, which we walked to in 15 minutes. We would definitely stay here again when visiting Amsterdam!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank WinTree
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

As a family we booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews we read and in all honesty we weren't disappointed . So this review will be as honest as i can be .Ok first night there i wondered if we made the right choice as we had booked a triple room ,what we got was a twin room with an extra camp bed but we expected that but the mattress on the camp bed was paper thin and no one could sleep on it . could not complain that night as there were no staff about (reception closes at 6 you get your own key for side door to come and go as you please ). We complained after we had breakfast and nearly felt guilty for complaining as the person we spoke to apologized that much and promised it would be sorted straight away .PROBLEM SORTED !! . I cannot stress enough how lovely this little gem of hotel is ,the breakfast is simple but delicious consisting of boiled eggs and a range of bread s and rolls hot out of the oven and real coffee and real freshly squeezed orange juice . The hotel is basic and some what quirky ,rooms are basic ,beds comfortable , rooms unsuite and have tv (with English speaking channels) the stairs take on a whole new meaning of steep ideal for a mountain climber for the rest of us there is the lift it has to be seen to be believed 1 person and suitcase or 2 people max (it adds to the fun of staying in hotel Brouwer ). the staff are great friendly and helpful . Now as it is Amsterdam there are a few red lights in the area this did not bother us at all and it does not take any thing away from the hotel but to balance things there is a couple of lovely cafes and bars close by over looking the canal which is nice .
So to finish if i was asked will i stay there again ? the answer would be yes definitely as plans are already made for the return trip to hidden gem on the Singel canal.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank pmmcc
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

First of all, ignore negative reviews of this hotel - yes, it's quirky, yes it's slightly wonky at times.. deal with it. The large hotel chains may be better, but what you gain in luxury you lose in charm. This hotel has charm in spades!

Me and a friend stayed in this hotel for two nights, staying in separate rooms. My double room was on the top floor (fourth) and was called the Escher room. All the room names (8 rooms in total) are named after artists. My friends room was a single room called the Hals room. This was located on the third floor. After the ground floor there is a separate living area for the owners (I presume) and then there are three floors of rooms, two double rooms and a single room per floor, except the top floor which just has two double rooms.

As you can see from the photo's, the rooms are quaint and quirky. Yes, there are faults, such as the curtains not blocking out the glaring sun 100%, or perhaps there was a little too much dust on the desk and phone, but this isn't the Ritz. I saw no evidence of bugs or rodents, and the place seemed "clean" overall.

My double room was huge and came with a very large bathroom.. which seemed almost as big as my friends single room. Oh how I laughed! Our stay coincided with a heatwave and the three open windows in my room really kept my room cool. My friends single room was a little stifling, but he didn't complain and slept ok with the windows open and earplugs in.

The bathroom had a bath and a separate shower. Liquid soap, flannel and towels were provided. The water from the shower went all over the floor but was easily swept back into the shower area afterwards by guiding the puddles in with my feet. No big deal there.

The bed was a double, which meant two singles pushed together. I slept on one bed only and it was really comfortable.. not hard or saggy at all. The pillow was fine for me. There was a 2 seater couch in my room which went down a treat. The TV reception was pretty poor to be honest, although I didn't actually have time to watch TV after checking it out upon arrival.

The view from my main window was good, although directly in front of the hotel was a huge tree that blocked my view somewhat.. although the view to the sides was fine. The views out the small side windows just showed the neighbours' rooftops.

There is a computer in the reception area and free wi-fi, but the signal was poor on the top floor so I had to do without in my room, which was a shame.

The breakfast was nice. A big coffee pot with cream and sugar. A bread roll, crumpet, croissant and soft boiled egg, with cheese, jam and butter.. all went down a treat.

The staff were different each morning which was kind of odd for me, although the lovely black lady was there everyday in the office. On one of the mornings we had the lady with the 2 dogs.. one of which liked to bare it's teeth when I stroked it! I think it was the brown poodle, so be wary :)

Overall, this is a quaint little family run hotel that is located well, has stunning views out the windows, comes with friendly staff and a good breakfast. The double rooms are spacious, whilst the single rooms are adequate.

Pros:
Quaint and quirky
Lovely views
Quiet of a night
Good, hearty breakfast
Large, clean bathroom
Great location
PC for general use

Cons:
Wi-fi not available on top floor
Perhaps too much dust in places
Nowhere to put the bath towel in the bathroom (I'm nitpicking now!)

Room Tip: Ask for a double room if traveling solo, as you only pay a little bit more and the extra space is we...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Davey1800
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We lucked out and had use of a double split level room to spread out in with a large private bath that included a deep tub and shower. Staff was very hospitable, breakfast was great and came with a full French press of coffee- which made us feel at home. It embodied the dishelved atmosphere of Amsterdam but was clean enough and charming.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland
Reviewed 17 July 2012

There are certainly pros to this little "hotel". The location is a short & easy walk from the train station, the main sites and the lovely Jordaan area. Plus, what could be better than a canal view? The limited number of staff members were quite nice and willing to be of assistance. The free internet signal was strong in my room. And, the coffee in the morning..... your own personal French press full of nice strong java! A downside was the remainder of breakfast which consisted of 2 thin slices of cheese, a croissant (freshly baked), 2 rolls, butter & jam, oj, soft boiled egg (which I don't eat). No variation over the course of my 4 day stay. The "drapes" in my room don't close all the way and 1 panel's hem needs to be sewn back up. I'm in a tiny, tiny (think monk cell size) single room. There is just nowhere to put anything. Illumination in the bathroom is virtually non-existent (think 20 watt bulb). Putting on makeup or shaving legs just can't be done. I do think the room could be cleaner as well. The baseboards all need a serious cleaning as does the floor under the bed. My last gripe is the quality of the bed. The boxspring appears to be older than the mattress and is more narrow by about 6 inches. (I'm not making this up!) As a result, the mattress sags severely on the long edge. I literally almost rolled out of bed one night as the floor of the room pitches due to the age & sagging of the building. On the very positive side of the equation is the good price. Would I stay here again? Likely not. I do like the area but I would find a hotel with a little less "charm".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank dee240
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

If you want to be in the heart of Amsterdam and do not expect the Holiday Inn this could be for you. No real reception just the dinning room, This quaint hotel we really enjoyed rooms were a good size and a small but adequate lift. A computer was available free of charge and we did not find the hotel noisy. A great experience.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor front giving you a good view of the canal.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends