“Super location, all rooms canal facing”
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #187 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Delhi
“Super location, all rooms canal facing”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Brouwer is a great 3* boutique hotel, typical Dutch in style, small & cosy. It is just 10 mins walk from the Central Station & Dam Square and has nice restaurants around it (Greendwoods is a highly recommended place for bfast & lunches).

I won't rate the hotel high on service levels, their room service/ house keeping needs definite improvement. Floors are not that clean & they don't care to change bedsheets even if you are staying for 4-5 nights. Top floor may not be the best option is you need to use internet frequently in the room.

The owner is very prompt in communication.

Please note that they do not accept credit cards.

If location is top priority for you & budget is around 70-75 Euros then I think this would be a superb option for you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank delhitraveller78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Glasgow
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed 2 nights Nov 2012 in the Escher room. We absolutely loved the hotel and our room!! Having always gone for travelodges, holiday inns and general chain hotels, we booked the Brouwer on recommendation from my parents. We got lost on our way from central station to the hotel (but spent most of the weekend getting lost, part of the fun), but got there in the end. Location was excellent, central and convenient. The room was very charming, and the view wonderful! The WIFI worked perfectly for my iPhone in the 3rd floor room, and the TV had countless channels the one time we put it on. I'm quite obsessive about cleanliness, but the room was clean enough for us. The beds were comfy, and having a bath as well as the seperate shower saved my sore feet on the second night. As previous reviewer mentioned, there was a noise from pipes or something electrical during the night, but we were too exhausted to care. You can hear noise from the street below, but no more than staying at any hotel in the middle of a city. You can also hear if the man in the bathroom through the wall decides to have a sing in the shower, but that was quite entertaining anyway! Breakfast was great. Overall we LOVED the Hotel Brouwer, and Amsterdam. We are definitely converted, and won't automatically look for the closest chain hotel on our next trip. Charming and small like the Brouwer will do us from now on :)! Thank you for a wonderful weekend, such a beautiful hotel in a beautiful city.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank EmilyyJayne
Umbria, Italy
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Hotel Brouwer was prompt in all aspects of communication and efficient in direct questions once arrival was completed. An old brewery from 1650s in a very good position between the central city and the close residential Jordaan. We had one of the top two rooms which were the cheapest available and had 3 issues that stopped a higher rating.

1. The floor had dirt on it that meant we had to wear shoes to stop carting it into bed.....I would say that there is an inefficient vaacuming regime.
2.The sign in the bedroom said with our rate that breakfast was supplied but i was informed that was not the case..... i can live with that but get the sign down !
3.A sound of either a hot water system or pipe noises in the ceiling or walls kept me awake.... a less tolerant person would have gone mad.
The attic rooms were pleasant and a small lift made the baggage easy to get to room.....spacy but a table and a chair would be better than the dodgy sofa.....view was good......but the winner was the position. Amsterdam is dear and you do not spend much time in your room so all in all we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: do not take the top rooms without reading the reasons
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mausgrass
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Hotel Brouwer was recommended in Rick Steve's book which I rely on my choice of hotels. I have not been disappointed. Checked the hotel website which has good information on location, how to get there from Central Station, description of rooms and photo gallery. I got my price and availability by sending an email which is i nthe website info. i got very prompt response, had my single room booked; no credit card number was needed to book. I did confirm my stay a day in advance. Payment was done afer I checked out.
PROXIMITY TO CENTRAL STATION: From the airport, I took the train to Amsterdam Central (about 4.30euros); followed walking instruction to get to hotel; took about 10 to 15 minutes for a first time visitor in the city. Very easy to find because it is along the Singel canal. The buildings are chronologically numbered; i just paid attention to the numbers till i reached #83. Printing out a map of Amsterdam from internet was helpful to get my bearings on street and canal locations.
SERVICE: Arrived at the hotel at 8am; Colleen was helpful and friendly. She said that I can leave my luggage in their tiny office since my room was not ready yet (which I expected- check in time is 4pm). She provided me with a map and tipped me that van Gogh museum is closed and the paintings were moved to another place. She made an effort to have my room cleaned faster knowing that I came from the US and needed to sleep. After walking around in the Damrak area, Royal Palace and Red light district area, - which are all within walking distance from the hotel, I went back to the hotel to use the bathroom and found out that my room was already ready at 10;30am. I was thankful since I badly needed to nap.
ROOM: A tiny lift was available - one person and a luggage would fit. I appreciate this since my room is in level 2; lugging it through the spiral staircase would have been difficult . Nice view from my room - can see the Singel canal and trees which were changing in colors. The windows can be opened to get fresh air but since I wanted to sleep (jetlag) - I closed the windows and shut the curtains to make it darker. There was some street noise (motocycles, people talking), but it did not bother me since I used my Bose noise-reduction headset and listened to soft music . I was tired and slept for 3 hours. Room had small bed, small table and chair, bathroom, and a closet. Just perfect for a single guest. Clean room, clean walls, clean sheets and bathroom. Warm/hot water felt good for showering. There was TV also which I didn't use because I am interested only in getting outside and walking all day and just sleep in the room. Floor is wooden and can easily hear footsteps but the neighbors were courteous enough to not make any noise at night.
LOCATION: Very accessible to grocery store,and to attractions (including AnneFrank's house and Jordaan). I followed Rick Steve's walking tour (self-guided) and was pleased to have stayed in this hotel.
BREAKFAST: As I opened my room, I could smell freshly baked bread. The guy who served breakfast on Oct 22 was efficient and friendly. Hot rolls, hard-boiled egg, cheese, ham, and freshly squeezed juice, coffee/tea. Music playing was very relaxing. Breakfast room was overlooking the canal. Breakfast was included in the room rate. He even helped me carry my luggage down the steps from breakfast area to street.
SUMMARY: highly recommended budget hotel, no wonder why it gets fully booked quickly. I had to move to another hotel because Brouwer had no availability for the second night. I would stay here again the next time I visit

Room Tip: When you email Hotel Brouwer , be specific with your room requirements - higher level room is better...
1 Thank pumpsnow1523
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Brouwer for 2 nights in October in the Vermeer room. I think the hotel was a good value for money. Its very simple and basic but compared against the price a good value. The breakfast was quite nice with french press coffee, pastries and an egg. I didn't find the hosts particularly helpful is providing information about the city, but Amsterdam is very easy to navigate.

The location is excellent and having a canal view was a nice bonus.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Nice staff, great location, very clean. Could not be happier for the price. The only negative thing would be that my room went downhill so the bed was not quite level, but besides that, great place to stay. Small lift that was good for bringing luggage up as the stairs were quite steep. Some street noise but it did not effect my sleep very much. TV in the room which I was not expecting for the price of the hotel. Super easy to find and a little store was right by it. I would stay there again and next time I am in Amsterdam I will for sure stay there again.

1 Thank simonpowered
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This was our first stay in 1.5 years at Brouwer. We've stayed here many, many times over the past 10 years and never have had a bad stay/experience. I reviewed the negative comments before going this time (just for a laugh, really). I have to say most are from travelers who seem to be expecting 4-5 star service at a 1 star hotel. Really.

We spent three nights in the Van Gogh room. We did have some issues with the room and reported those to Colleen. What could be fixed/repaired immediately was done the same day! The hotel could use some care and attention but with the rooms consistently 100% booked, it's pretty difficult to do anything but very minor repairs without closing down a room. Ok, enough with that.

The price has increased about 15 euros per night, but so has the general cost of living. The Van Gogh room is large and clean with a good size closet that held all our stuff. There's a tiny flat screen TV that my finally turned on the day before we left. It's a nice distraction but really, we spend very little time in the room other than sleeping and showering.

The bathroom needed cleaning. This was reported and fixed same-day. A brighter light in the bathroom would be nice though. Other than that, no complaints. Towels were changed daily since, as many people have posted, the entire bathroom floor does tend to get wet while showering. With care and patience, some of this can be avoided but not entirely.

Yep, our room had some windows without curtains. Oh, did the previous posters fail to mention that these windows have SHUTTERS that close completely to block the light entirely? Yes, they did. And despite the fact that some may complain that closing the shutters decreases air flow into the room, not so. There were three other windows that opened with curtains.

The location of Hotel Brouwer is great along the Singel Canal. Each room has canal views. Are there red light windows around? Uh, yes. This IS Amsterdam. Is Hotel Brouwer in "the Red Light District" as many negative posters stated? No. The RDL is about one kilometer east of the Singel Canal. The city does allow red light windows seemingly anywhere. I don't know how the hotel could control where the ladies/dudes hang their lights.

Breakfast was great as always. There's always more than enough food and coffee.

We will return again and again to Hotel Brouwer.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple