“Loved the place”
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #193 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Freeport, Illinois
“Loved the place”
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We loved this place and the location was perfect. Walked to the hotel in 8 minutes from the train station. Place was clean, free internet, great coffee, and wonderful staff. We did wonder when booked as they kept telling us they were full, we just kept emailing and finally ended up with three nights each for two couples, so don't be put off by the first no. I think they are selective. Stairs and lift are small and steep. But I would go back in a minute.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank ebenezer15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We (2 straight couples 40-ish) returned this week from a great stay at the Hotel Brouwer. We booked directly with the hotel for E95 per double room a night. The hotel is in a nice location, easy walking distance to most places.
Saturday night was a bit noisy outside, lots of beeping horns from somewhere. Husband struggled to get a decent nights sleep, but my earplugs saved the day!! Don’t let this put you off, we would return here like a shot.
Friendly staff, good breakfast, right on the canal. A nice café (Greenwood) about 20m away. Local pub about 50m other direction. Some girls in windows nearby, but more interesting than worrying.
The Moeders restaurant at Rozengracht 251 we highly recommend and takes about 20-25 minutes to walk from the Broewer. Lots of other establishments nearby for food, drink and a smoke if you like! For a cheap tasty lunch, try a Wok to Walk – E7 – lovely, there are a few around the city.
Have a great time.

• Liked — Location, staff, free use of internet, cleanliness, comfy beds etc
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank heqwerty
Cumbria
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Just returned back from the Brouwer and thought I'd write a few comments. Party of two couples all in our late fourties. The hotel is exactly what you would expect from this part of Amsterdam.....it's charming, very clean........... close enough to the night life but certainly not to busy, yes, sure there are girls in the windows close by but isn't that what you would have expected. We had a good walk round and we thought this area was by far the nicest, busy if you wanted it and laid back if that's what you wanted. I can certainly reccommend this hotel and this part of Amsterdam........would I go back ????? of course.... in a flash, pardon the pun.

• Liked — Location and very clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank Chesserschoice
Halifax
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We have just returned from our daughter's wedding in Amsterdam. We booked the Hotel Brouwer almost a year before and it was well worth it. The owner and staff were very accomodating and the hotel suited our every need. Location was so great. We could walk to and from Central Station which was our transportation to the airport and the meeting place for wedding guests when they arrived in Amsterdam. Breakfast was great, just loved the coffee and fresh baked goods. Security was never an issue. E-mail access was helpful with other family members because none of us had cell phones for Europe. We were there for Queen's Day, unbelievable experience.
I could go on and on, however I just need to say you won't be disappointed. I would love to stay there again.

• Liked — bedroom
  • Disliked — no TV or radio in our room
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Boulos
Vancouver
Reviewed 5 May 2008

I stayed at the Brouwer just about a year ago, and I loved it! I flew in from Venice, and (don't ask) missed my flight, so I arrived quite late at night. My hubby had called, and the owners were expecting me, and took me right up to my room.

The room was tiny (I was alone, so it was perfect) and very charming, with a comfy bed, nice desk, and clean bathroom with shower. Great view over the canal!

I really liked the breakfasts, fresh croissants, jam, cheese, eggs, juice, and really excellent coffee with thick, wonderful cream. Oh, yeah. Seriously good coffee.

The location was great, close to Central station, and convenient to trams, buses, etc.

(The lift....well, it's tiny. But it does the job. I have a stair phobia, so I did not attempt the stairs. Maybe next time.)

I only had three days in Amsterdam, so I spent most of my time at museums, etc. but I'm going back this fall, and will certainly stay at the Brouwer again.

• Liked — Cozy and friendly, I loved staying in an old building with so much character. Very friendly staff, as well.
  • Disliked — The stairs. Fortunately, the lift, although tiny, works just fine!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Glsgirl
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2008

My husband and I just returned from our stay at the Hotel Brouwer in Amsterdam, and we can't recommend it highly enough! It's a wonderful old canal house. Staying here made it feel like we were really experiencing life like Amsterdammers!

I am most comfortable making reservations directly, rather than through a 3rd party, so I actually called the hotel about 8 months before we left. We originally wanted to stay a week starting April 15th, but they were already completely booked - and even further on into the year. So book early! But they had a cancellation for the first week of April, so we decided to go with that.

I had read that the Escher room was the most comfortable, so I decided to reserve that one, and fortunately, that's were the cancellation was. We stayed there for 5 nights, but it was already booked the last night so they moved us to the Van Gogh room.

Both rooms were wonderful! I LOVED the huge bathroom in the Escher room. It was very quiet and peaceful. The bathroom had a shower, two sinks, a toilet and a tub. With all the walking you do in Amsterdam, it was wonderful to take a long, hot soak in the tub! The tub was narrow, but is very long and high.

I really loved the lay-out of the Van Gogh room. It was also very quiet - we never heard anyone else moving around. The bathroom is smaller - it has one sink, one toilet and a shower (no tub). The room has TONS of windows, which I loved. Both rooms had two twin bed pushed together to make one bed, which was actually kind of nice (hubby tosses a lot). The comforters are thick and cozy to curl up under.

The stairs are very narrow and spiral up to the top floor. We always took them going down, but usually took the elevator going up. The elevator is very tiny, but it does the job. It took us a coupla runs to get all my luggage up, which was fine. I was really glad they had an elevator! A lot of canal houses don't, and it was a wonderful convenience.

The breakfast were simple but really good. There were croissants, rolls and crumpets with real butter and jam. We had coffee, juice and a variety of teas. There was also sliced cheese (which was wonderful) and soft-boiled eggs.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They helped us take up our luggage up to the room (and I brought waaay too much luggage). Also, the day we switched rooms we were gone all day on a tour, and they moved all our luggage for us. That same morning we were leaving really early to go on a tour, and I had gone down to the lobby to check email before we left. While I was waiting for hubby the owner came in carrying a tray of croissants. When she found out we were leaving early she wrapped a couple up for us to take with us. Several times I went down to the main desk to ask for directions or recommendations, and every time they were patient and helpful. On the last day our flight left really early, and the day before they made a taxi restervation for us. (If we'd had less luggage we would've just taken the train from Centraal Station). They made our stay easy and comfortable!

We loved the location - on the Singel Canal just a coupla blocks from Centraal Station. It was an easy walk to the Pancake Bakery, Wok to Walk, the Anne Frank House, Centraal Station, the Red Light District and Dam Square (where the Royal Palace, New Church and Madame Tussauds are). We found tons of cafes, stores for shopping, fast food and an ATM that takes foreign bank cards nearby. It is a bit further to go to the main restaurant and shopping street (Leidesplein), the museum district, or the club area (Rembrandtsplein), but it's a short, easy tram or taxi ride. I wish we had gotten the I AMsterdam cards, as you can ride any public transportation with the card.

The Hotel Brouwer is the perfect hotel for really soaking up the Amsterdam experience. I love small B&B type places - I feel much more connected to the people and the places we visit, and the Brouwer was exactly what I was looking for and more than I expected. Now, my mom is a little more into convenience and comfort, and I know it wouldn't have been a good fit for her. I think that's where some of the less enthusiastic reviews have come from. If you're more into room service and valets, by all means choose a modern hotel that will help you make the very most of your stay! But if you're looking to really soak up the ambiance of Amsterdam, this is your place to stay!

• Liked — It felt like a real Amsterdam experience!
  • Disliked — There wasn't a thing I didn't like!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank daisy6671
Scotland
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We spent three nights in the Vermeer room in late March 2008. We were not disappointed. We arrived before our room was ready on the first day but leaving our luggage there was no problem. Similarly on our last day, they stored our luggage until 6pm as we had a late flight home. We found it a friendly and relaxed hotel. The stairs were fun and the room had character and excellent views. It was clean and the location meant we walked absolutely everywhere. There were a few red-light 'businesses' close by but really they were not a problem. You shouldn't go to Amsterdam with a closed mind. We found everyone laid back and friendly and there was a good choice of restaurants near the hotel. We rate the Brouwer as very good value for money, and it exuded the charm of a genuine traditional canal house. Our only suggestion might be more choice, eg fruit , at breakfast, but otherwise, no complaints whatsoever.

• Liked — Location, room, view
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple