“How I miss the Brouwer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #184 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
A TripAdvisor Member
“How I miss the Brouwer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2006

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Amsterdam's delightful Hotel Brouwer. For starters, its location is ideal - a gorgeous, five-minute walk to Centraal Station, and close to countless cafes (also a few Red Light windows, if you're interested in that).

I stayed in the Mesdag Room for four nights - at 55 Euros a night, it seemed like a steal. The room was tiny, but it had everything - a comfortable bed, a phone, working shower, secure locks (not that you'll need it here), and a view.

The staff members at the hotel are very friendly and told me some of Amsterdam's history when I asked. Breakfast is served promptly. There isn't much variety but it's still filling, and there are many other cafes in the area to choose from if you'd like a change.

Be prepared for a steep climb up the hotel's staircase if you come in late at night.

I really don't think there would be a better hotel to stay at in all of Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2006
31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Salt Lake City, UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2006

The Hotel Brouwer was so cool! It was built in 1652 and I don't think much has been done in the bedrooms since - other than adding the bathrooms. The rooms are very simply furnished, but every minute that we were not actually out seeing Amsterdam, we were at our windows watching Amsterdam. The location on the scenic Singel canal can't be beat and nearly everything is within walking distance.
Breakfast in the morning was simple, but delicious, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Two warnings, however: There is a small elevator, big enough for 2 people. But it can't be used after 11:00pm and if you're handicapped, like me, you need to be aware that there are about 5 steps to get up to the lift. In all of my emails to the hotel about the handicapped business, he never mentioned those first 5 steps.
The second warning is that, even though you have to secure your reservation with a credit card, they don't actually take credit cards, so be sure you've got the cash to pay at check out.
But those are trifles to be overlooked - we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
35 Thank p1997
Danville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2006

I just returned from Amsterdam and had a great stay here. I booked a single room for 50 euros with shower & bath in room. The hotel also has a lift......great for Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2006
11 Thank Sierrachip
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2006

Just got back from our trip, really enjoyed the hotel. The weather was very chilly, but it was still a walkable distance from the train station. Very nice room, good amount of space (especially for Europe), and very clean updated bathroom. They do have a small lift useful for getting luggage up and down (the staircase is spiral so it would be a bit challenging.) Breakfast is simple, but very nice. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2006
18 Thank jonesephus
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2006

We spent 4 nights over new year in this hotel. I cannot stress how fantastic it was. Our room was the Escher, it had so much character! The beds were very comfy though they are two singles pushed together, there is also a little seating area and a very big bathroom with separate shower and bath and two basins. The views were amazing - especially as there was so much snow while we were there. The heating worked very well - thankfully!
The only grumble I had was having to walk up to the top floor after 11pm as they would rather you didn't use the lift after this time - but this was me being lazy and probably the worse for wear!
Breakfast does get abit monotonous - but filling and generous nevertheless. All in all this hotel beats all the others as I feel you really do get a true taste of what Amsterdam is all about without paying a fortune.

• Stayed December 2005
15 Thank sashacharlie
Albany, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2005

I stayed at the Hotel Brouwer for 8 nights at the end of October. There were 3 of us and we had a double room and a single room. We have no complaints at all. I am very happy I chose this hotel over a big chain hotel. The staff that we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast does get a little redundant(soft boiled egg, rolls and cheese) but its still good and gets you some fuel to start your day. The location was very convienent, about a 10 minute walk to Central Station and right on Singel Canal. I stayed in the Mondrian room and it was great. Terrific view, very roomy, high ceilings, and a large bathroom. The Hals room which is a single was much smaller but more than adequate. You can come and go as you please, as you are given a key to the door to use, they lock up later in the evening. The street noise was loud on occasion but nothing that ruined a nights sleep. The only problem was the stairs. There is a tiny lift that fits maybe 2 people. When we checked in we actually sent our luggage up via the lift and walked up the stairs to meet our luggage. It a narrow spiral staircase and if you are on the 3rd floor it can get to be a bit much if you make the trip several times a day. But it's a small inconvienence compared to everything else. I would definitely stay here again in a second.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank hitdogny
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2005

Stayed in the Hotel Brouwer for a long weekend and was charmed. I've stayed in A'dam many times but only learned of this place. It is a GREAT value for the money, but don't expect business-class level services. That is not what this place is about. The Hotel Brouwer is about settling back and not rushing. The breakfast doesn't start until 8:30 and is delicious. The coffee, bread basket, eggs and cheese were very tasty and filling.

While there is no TV (unless you ask for one but why?), limited phone service, and modest toiletries, the rooms are a good size, the bathrooms are good size and there was a lot of hot water for the shower or tub. The views over the Singel canal are much better than watching TV and you get a friendly family atmosphere that is a throw back 15 years.

The non-smoking policy and friendly staff makes it very family friendly. The only warning is that if you come in after 11pm, you are asked not to use the elevator -- this could be difficult if your room is on the top floor unless you are in decent shape.

All in all, this place is a winner and I will stay again.

• Stayed October 2005