“Good location and views, but poorly run”
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #196 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Good location and views, but poorly run”
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We first stayed at the Brouwer for a few nights in November of 2004, in the Mondriaan room (on the top [third] floor). The owner couple were then living on-site and it seemed well run, although he was verbally uncommunicative and she was rather perfunctory (far from a "welcoming" atmosphere).

We stayed there again last month - for six nights this time - and in the same room. The owner couple no longer live on-site and they now have a revolving crew of workers, none of whom seems to communicate with anyone else working there (much less, with the owners). The American woman working there was rather *nasty*, which wasn't appreciated.

When I made the reservation this time around, I was very explicit in making sure the elevator goes to the top floor (I couldn't remember after several years and the web site description was unclear), because I now have problems with one of my knees and the Brouwer is VERY tall & has many steep/narrow stairs (as is certainly typical of old buildings in Amsterdam's city center [and the reason why we wanted to stay on the top floor is because we didn't feel like listening to creaking floors until late at night when people walked around above us, plus the view is best]).

On THREE of our six days there, the elevator didn't work when we attempted to go downstairs! To make matters worse, I was TRAPPED inside the elevator on two of those days (for *several minutes* each time) and it was quite frightening (the elevator is *miniscule*, which is certainly understandable - but "claustrophobic" is an understatement when you're trapped inside it). Supposedly the elevator repair people were called each day and supposedly they repaired the elevator each day (certainly on the *third* day, but I wonder about the other two days). On top of all that, the person who was working there on the first two days it happened had the GALL to tell me I shouldn't expect a working elevator and that I should have stayed on a lower floor if it was going to be a problem!!! When I finally managed to "escape" from the elevator each time, I had to walk all the way down with severe knee problems (I was also wearing a brace on the problem knee).

The breakfast was pretty good, but that's standard for the Netherlands - although it's not so incredible that I would rave about it (however; unlike another reviewer, I thought the coffee was decent).

Lastly; with the exception of our arrival day, it was quite obvious that no one cleaned our room (especially the bathroom) for the duration of our stay. The hotel is certainly clean overall - and the breakfast room is admittedly very cozy & charming - but still....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Marooned in Amsterdam (ha!) by the volcano in mid-April, I found my way to the Brouwer, a lovely place I'd been before. Personable staff always make me feel welcome and even at home there, with Ellen cooking dinner for the rest of us similarly stuck. The wonderful canal-front dining room isn't usually used except for breakfast, but Ellen says she can be talked into dinner if there's demand. Excellent Dutch-American inn fare, and well worth it just to eat family style by their great windows.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Steve344
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Really nice view from room of a canal and trees. Only 5 minutes walk from Centraal station, Red light area and Dam Square. Good value and it also includes breakfast - juice, boiled egg, roll, croissant and a cup of tea. Lovely staff. Room was spotless and decent sized bathroom.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KnJ66
sacramento, california
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Perfect room (Van Gogh), perfect price (95 euro), perfect location on the Singel Canal, and warm and caring innkeepers.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Bath
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Stayed here with my husband the first week in March for 3 nights and loved every bit of it. The hotel is very charming and exactly what we had been expecting and hoping for - I was even more delighted when shown to the cute attic room with it's amazing views (who cares that the double bed is two singles pushed together - this is quite normal in Europe). If you want a characterless, could be anywhere in the world when inside as they all look the same kind of hotel then this isn't for you, but if you want to stay somewhere that is clean, cared for, superbly located and is honest to its surroundings then this is definitely the place for you. The staff were very friendly, the breakfast set you up for the day and all in all I would say it's somewhere I would reccomend.

1 Thank murphy82
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 6 April 2010

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights here. The hotel is not fancy, but the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and the location is terrific. You are not far from the central train station and just 2 blocks from a main tram line. The canal views are nice. The room is small, and our double room was two twins pushed together. But it was a convenient way to see Amsterdam. If you want luxury and a lot of services, this isn't your hotel, but if you just want a reasonably priced hotel in a good location in Amsterdam, this is the place.

Perthshire
Reviewed 9 March 2010

booked this hotel for a 3 night stay as wanted typical dutch house on canal. Location was excellent with fantastic views of the Singel Canal,but room and service basic. Definitely a quirky hotel which is very different from your normal run of the mill chain hotel -just not sure location is enough to justify this hotel's rating on trip advisor. We were on 3rd floor, up in the attic so views great but it was a long way up when the lift didn't work- which was on a daily basis. Breakfast was the same everyday. There was no choice- boiled egg with cheese and rolls. Hotel relies on location to sell rooms. Staff need to be more vigilant about service quality. Don't think I would stay again!