“Incredible-one of the highlights of entire trip”
Review of Hotel Brouwer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Brouwer
Ranked #199 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I booked my reservation at the Hotel Brouwer initially about 1.5 years in advance. I read the reviews and since they only have eight rooms, I wasn't about to take any chances. Despite my high expectations that grew that year and a half, I'm happy to say they even exceeded them.

Perfect location on a canal in the middle of everything with every room having views. Charm that you can only find in a smaller place that's been around a while. I need to start staying in smaller hotels! Everything has an antique feel to it, including the oft-reviewed tiny elevator(which is small but can still fit two people or one person+suitcase). Between the feel of the place and the location, you truly get a taste of Amsterdam.

Breakfast was delicious and the service was very friendly. Also, having the community computer downstairs was very helpful. Between that, and little touches like the tv's and bathrooms in each room, they took a very old building and added just enough modern features to make it comfortable yet not lose its stunning charm.

I will certainly try to stay there on every future trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 August 2010

Hotel Brouwer, although tiny, has a great room (Escher, on the 3rd. floor) with good private facilities. A pleasant location, a wonderful view. The staff is so friendly and they are good english speakers, as well as spanish and portuguese, our mother tongue, that we felt at home. The breakfast is basic but with delicious breads and croissants, with jams that sets us up for a day of walking and sightseeing. The hotel is small, with only 8 rooms, in a building from 1659! We dare say we slept in a place full (and also testimony) of History.

As an old building the acces to the upper levels are problematic because there is a tiny helicoidal staircase, but there is a very small lift that took both of us upstairs together (if you went there you will know why this statement), but without luggage!

The room we have stayed (Escher) is of very good size, confortable, clean, fresh and plenty of air. At night it was quiet also. The bathroom is spacious and has a relaxing bathtub for after a day of walking around.

It is just a few minutes from Dam, a short walk to many of the attractions people visit the city to see, such as the Royal Palace, Anne Frank house and the floating flower market. The nearest tram stop is in a paralel street about half a minute away; the Centraal Station is just down the street, in a ten minutes walk.

The hotel has free internet access and, in a corner nearby the computer, lots of leaflets of information to help you decide what to do on a day out.

This hotel is located by the red light district but, as adults, we walked by without been disturbed or even shocked by the fact. As an old brazilian saying, "He that doesn't want to see stars, doesn't look at the sky".

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank corrosio
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This review is late in coming but I wanted to let everyone knew what a great time we had at this hotel.

The staff was very friendly and we loved the view from our room (Escher). We did not spend all that much time in the hotel as we were sightseeing as much as we could. We did get a good nights sleep in the hotel and loved the location. I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We just returned from our 12th stay at Hotel Brouwer in Amsterdam. We spent 4 nights in the Breitner room on the north side of the second floor. We've stayed in all but one of the hotel's 8 rooms. The Breitner (all rooms are named after Dutch painters) is quite nice. All rooms have a view of the Singel canal. The owner and staff are all very nice, everyone speaks English, and the location is great. We brought our bikes and biked around Amsterdam one day and another we trained to Haarlem then biked back along the canals and fields. It's a wonderful way to see Holland and the cities.

As the title says, this is the only place we stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We've been at Brouwer for 3 nights.
We choose this hotel because it is near the station, situated on a canal and the reviews are mostly positive.

Posive points:
The reception was very nice and cordial. We were late and we were afraid the reception would be closed. Hopefully, the man working there that night was waiting for us.
The view on the canal from each room is beautiful. The room are large and clean. The breakfast is good (not exceptional) but with no variety.

negative point:
The double bed was in fact 2 single beds pushed together. The mattress was too soft and dug in the middle so we didn't sleep very well.
I knew the situation was near the red light district but in fact there is red light windows on Singel street and on the streets around. It can be disturbing for some, especially if you are with children. Just be award that walking to the hotel you will cross red windows.
We could not access internet with wifi from our room, but there was a computer available for guests.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I stayed here because it was on the canal and near the train station. I thought that the hotel was perfect for me. It's noisy, but nothing that some ear plugs won't resolve. My room was small, but had a window on the canal with desk that I could sit at and upload my photos. The Internet wireless worked well. I was there the day of the World Cup Parade and enjoyed seeing some of the boats go past my window. Breakfast was okay, but nothing outstanding. The staff was helpful and friendly. The elevator worked fine while I was there. The steps are very steep. There are some red lights near by, but there is a great restaurant for Belgian food one canal over. It was an easy walk to the train station. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank pamelac639
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I stayed here for one night while at a conference in Amsterdam. The proprietor is very friendly and the location is outstanding - right in the center, 5 minutes or so walk from both Dam square and the central train station.

The problem with this place is the rooms. They are very clean, but the one I had was incredibly noisy - the street all the rooms overlook is busy all night - so I didn't get more than a couple of hours' sleep. And the curtains in the room were too small for the windows, so once it got light at about 4.30am the room was flooded with light.

So while the hotel is very quaint and all that, a hotel where you get no sleep is not much use at all, so I won't be going back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business