“Excellent”
Review of Van Gelder Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Van Gelder Hotel
Ranked #214 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times now, it's basic but very clean and MUCH better than any similar priced hotels in the area, staff are clean and friendly, location is a 3 minute walk from Centraal Station and close to all the attractions

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank vandit10_11

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Great place to stay if you not to be walking distance to most the attractions Amsterdam is known for. It's right on the Main Street meaning you can walk the canals, check out the red light district, spend the day shopping of crawl you way around the seemingly endless supply of bars and "coffee" shops.

Nice clean rooms, pretty spacious for the price and very nice staff. Breakfast is pretty average though, consider going to a nearby cafe. There is free wifi in the bar area near reception.

If you don't like stairs or have bad knees this may not be your place as the back stairs are like climbing a ladder... Almost vertical !!

Other than that good choice for short or longs stays.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet but take a bit of dedication to get to as the stair are some of the stee...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RickDolling
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night last week. The hotel is in a perfect location as already described. All staff we met there were friendly and helpful. Yes the stairs leading up to the rooms were steep and the fresh smell of cannabis coming from other rooms was evident but it all added to the character! Only complaint would be the shower, or should I say trickle (!) in the ensuite was poor but other than that a good value break. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank foxmeister
Reviewed 19 December 2012

The hotel is small, and only gives you Bed with a continental breakfast. It is spotlessly clean,and
you are well guarded, only fault is the steps are a bit steep, and is a little bit basic.
It has no fancy trimmings, is central for all the places to visit, and the staff are helpful
I have been coming to the hotel for over fifteen years, and find is perfect for my personal needs
of two to three nights stay.
I did come one weekend with my wife and as she says, `you only need the the room at night as you are out all day, and if the beds are clean that`s all you need ` and they are.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bruce N
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This hotel was perfectly safe, warm and adequate for what we wanted. Although at times we felt the stairs were a bit steep and that it was like being on a ferry. We asked in reception for an adaptor and hairdryer - got them no problem. And on our last day we were able to leave our luggage there all day after checking out. The hotel is in a fantastic location - so convenient for walking everywhere, that's a real plus. If you're not expecting five star luxury and happy with very basic accommodation in a brilliant location then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ours was on the very top floor - noisy with the window open but with a location like that it didn...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

A very good hotel. Best thing that this building was built 1564 which makes you feel that you are staying in a historical place.
I tried a room with a private toilet and its very good and very clean too, it has 2 beds and a wardrobe and a desk with a chair and a small tv, even the bathroom is clean and has the needed amenities... wat else do i need more than this ;-)
The location of the hotel is gorgeus, only 5 mins walking to the central station and 5 mins walking to Dam sq. also 2 mins walking ti the ref light district.
Beneath the hotel a tour and tickets office where u can ask for any tour in Amsterdam, also the tour bus and the canal cruise right accross the hotel. There are amazing restaurants beside the hotel with different cuisines (Latin, Italian, Arabic, Turkish, French... etc). There is a big store of C&A on your way from the hotel to Dam sq. for shopping.
Next time i go to Amsterdam i will not be hesitated to stay in this hotel.

Michael
Cairo, Egypt

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank micalf
Reviewed 20 August 2012

To be fair, this place does have something good: central, covenient location. 5 mins walk to central station, red light district, shopping area. So good food, pub and entertainment is really not a problem. And the price is really cheap for the location at EUR85 a night (excluding brwakfast). But that's it. The rest is rather horrible. I'd say it's the worst ever hotel I've stayed. I couldn't wait to get out of it and would delay going back to the hotel as much as I could.

For a start, the whole place stinks weed in and out. Must have been exposed to that substance for years that the smell permeates just about any surface. When checking in, I was told that I could smoke as long as the window was open. Didn't think about it much until I walked through the carpeted corridor and saw the room. The only place I didn't feel as dirty is bathroom, just because tiles don't absorb the stink. Humid summer weekend might have made it worse.

Next thing that bothered me was the noise. I consider myself as fairly tolerant to inconvenience but it was just beyond me. Thin walls and door really don't hold up much of the noise. Pub next door operated till late. Cleaners with big Henry hoover early in the morning. People opening and closing doors all the time. Mysterious knocks at midnight. Not sure who that was, but it had caused me disturbed sleep fretting if the door somehow got unlocked.

Staff/owner weren't exactly sweet, smiling bunch but that's alright until one morning I heard a conversation between the owner lady and one guest. The guest asked for her room key to get in and was told that all her stuff has been moved to another room because the sink leaked. The guest was furious as it dawned on her that her money, mobile phone etc were also moved without permission. After that, I always took my valuables with me and locked everything else in my suitcase.

The room itself is of decent size, with some good English TV channels. Furniture and design is very poor, but you should really forgive this with the price charged. Bedsheets, towels looked a bit old but clean. Having said that, my back and legs felt a little itchy in the bed perhaps bed bugs but won't make such accusations given my partner was alright. No hairdryer, no safety box, free wifi available in reception area.

You don't need to give your card details when booking but need to pay in full when checking in.

All in all, a terrible stay. In hindsight, I would have paid a bit more or gone further say to Jordaan for a nicer room. It has somewhat tainted my memory of holiday in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple