“Exceptional service! Clean, comfy room!!”
Review of Hotel Max

Hotel Max
Ranked #314 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

1stly I would like to commend the 3 receptionists who have helped me enjoyed my stay at hotel max thoroughly.  Anya (I hope the spelling is correct), Kathy & jeffery. Due to my work, I travel to different countries, averaging 8-10 times a month. I have stayed in top hotels(Marriot, Hilton, Sheraton, conrad, crowne) all over the world. The 3 of them are excellent, helpful & friendly. Their service is comparable to staff being hired at 5-6 stars hotel, if not.....even better. Here's why. I arrived at 1000, 4 hours before check in time. My girlfriend was sick, so I requested to check in early in order to allow my girlfriend to get some rest. Knowing fully well that they are not obliged to accede to my request. Anya, immediately asked about the well being of my girlfriend & gave me a room with 2 single bed as a double bedded room was not available due to my early arrival. THANK GOD FOR HER KINDNESS!!

Initially I booked 2 nights. I had to extend my stay for another 3 nights at the very last minute. Again it was Anya who helped me with the arrangements. She kindly got staff to transfer my luggage to the next available room while I was outside enjoying the city of Amsterdam. And when I got back late at night to get my new room key, kathy who was equally helpful, attended to me. Suddenly out of nowhere, Anya popped out and asked me about my trip! She remembered that i went on a tour. Anya was supposed to be off duty however she was still working on her laptop editing pictures for the hotel. Such dedication! Such personalised service!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to extend my stay for 1 more night. This time, I was aided by Jeffery. Jeffery was very warm and sincere. He tried to give me a room that was more convenient for me.

Now for the Rooms. For the price u pay to stay at hotel Max...I consider it to be clean, comfy rooms. A PRIVATE TOILET, hairdryer, quality housekeeping everyday...what more can I ask?? Things that look old are not necessarily dirty. If u are staying in your house for more than 3 years, definitely some walls in your house need a new coat of paint coz they may look old with non - removable stains but u have cleaned them and may wait out your next renovation phase in perhaps 12 months time BUT your house ain't dirty. Of coz the rooms in hotel Max don't look anything like marriot, hilton but mind u the price u are paying is a vast difference. What's important is clean & comfortable. They may be slightly small but the rooms are functional. All u need is to be a little neat with yourself to create more space. And if u decide to stay in to catch up on sleep, rest, plain laziness....hotel max is suited away from the nosie, hustle & bustle of dam square.

Sure, it is slightly far from Leidseplein or central station BY FOOT!! About 2.5-3km away. However the tram ride gets u there in less than 7mins and to the central station in less than 12mins. If u complain about wasting money on tram tics. Do the math. A well located, often noisy, amsterdam budget hotel sets u back about €70-€110. While hotel max offers €45-€65. A 1 way tram tic cost u €2.80. A day pass valid for 24hr cost u €7.50, 48hr tram tic cost u €12.50 (price is correct at time of writing). Viola!!!  Hotel max is however near to van goh museum, henekien experience, Rijkaard museum.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
marcelscheepstra, Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

There are newer reviews for Hotel Max

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I would say that you are getting what yiu are pating for, or just a little bit less.
Im not very picky guy but i have to let you guys know that the location of this hotel is not great (about 20-25 minutes walk from the city center), the only good thing about its location is that it's across the street from LIDL. It was RELATIVELY close to heineken experince and museums.

Thehotel reception is in an ither hotel, not far away though. The room was clean but very small and something that i susspect (i hope it wasnt really) a mouse trap! I'd suggest that you stay there with someone you feel comfortable with sincw the toilet is not prictae!

1  Thank Christos90
marcelscheepstra, Eigenaar at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback serious.

Please book next time directly by our website for the direct discount.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here with a friend back at the start of last summer while visiting friends in Amsterdam. We booked in advance, if I recall, 4 nights here. As students, it seemed pretty economical and if you really don't mind crashing somewhere rough this may just be your place. The rooms are incredibly cramped with a very strange toilet/shower combo with relatively no privacy. Behind the radiators we found what appeared to be a large rat trap full of bait which was pretty disgusting. If you fancy a continental breakfast while staying here you must travel across the bridge to its sister hotel down the street as Hotel Max does not have a common room or even a reception. Finally I would like to add that the hotel is located in a quiet part of the city about a 25 minute walk from the main tourist drags of Leidseplein and Dam Sq so be prepared for a long walk back or even a taxi if you have a few drinks or smokes in your evenings out. Hotel Max is a budget hotel, made for budget tourists so you can expect a budget service in the end.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irlandia2012
marcelscheepstra, Eigenaar at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

We thank you for this feedback. Especially after 9 months to notify here instead of coming directly. We put the proof of pestcontrol on tripadvisor pictures that this review is total nonsens of a guest who is frustrated because of something else.

Unfortunaly we can not make every guest pleased.

We are controlled every month.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

First days we stayed in hotel Max and it was great. The service was great. We got free champagne for valentines day and sweet cookies. The staff advised us perfectly.
We extended in hotel Iris because the Max was full. Low priced hotel with great service.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
marcelscheepstra, Eigenaar at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Our stay was wonderful besides the crazy weather outside, we loved to stay in and have a nice quite time with my girlfriend. Hotel was small but comfy as hell. Really nice location, close to everything you want, Heineken experience, Van Gogh museum, Rijkmuseum, basically everything you want is 10minute a walk. Because of construction, which we didn't even notice, we needed to check-in in Hotel Iris, which was accross the street, no problem. There is no reception in Hotel Max, altho we could just take phone(every floor had their own) and call them any time of the day/night. In Iris receptionists were soo nice, i think the best thing that this hotel had. They helped with everything, starting from offering coffee/tea at the check-in time till giving extra towels and helping as much as they could. Really delicious breakfast at Iris, fresh bread straight from oven. mmmm, cake! Thanks for lovely time Hotel Iris and Max!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
marcelscheepstra, Eigenaar at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We were a bit afraid because of the comments we saw. But we had a great stay. The rooms wear cleaned everyday. The room are not big but the small shower inside the room gives you privacy. Location is close to every body. Because of wintertimes we had to check in hotel Iris next door (100 meters) where we we had a great breakfast. The hot waffles and the friendly breakfast ladies are an plus

Overall: gracias

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
marcelscheepstra, Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Reviewed 2 February 2014

A bit spartan, but clean, comfortable and quiet. Very convenient for the town as well.
The staff over the road were also helpful and pleasant.
It also helped that we were able to park two motorbikes outside quite safely. There`s also a small supermarket opposite.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
marcelscheepstra, Eigenaar at Hotel Max, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thanks for the review. It is very helpfull for us.

We advise you in the future book directly by the hotel. We can offer a special rate for returning guest. The best room are given to returning guest.

We rent out bikes and have an tours and tickets desk.