“Great Location - Cold Shower”
Review of Hotel Roemer

Hotel Roemer
Ranked #71 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Location - Cold Shower”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is a boutique hotel in a great location. Standard, small European style rooms, which doesn't bother us because we don't spend much time in the room while on vacation anyway. It is situated on a charming, quiet street, just a block or two away from all the action, which made it the perfect location for exploring the city. Our room was clean and the only reason I didn't give this hotel a better rating is the bathroom. As many people mentioned, the sink is awkward. I could live with that, but the shower never got warm. I'm not saying it didn't get steamy and hot. I'm saying I froze my butt off every time I showered. My husband thought maybe the water was being locally heated by an element in the shower itself. I'm not sure about that, but I really would have enjoyed a warm shower.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 25. It was small, but adequate for two people. I would not want to stay on the gro...
1 Thank AmandaMae07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is a Boutique Hotel "wannabe"! I understand that old buildings in Amsterdam have small rooms, but you don't have to cramp it up with furniture!!!! I've stayed in Amsterdam for 7 nights at this hotel and although it looks good, the room were too small for all the furniture in it. They had three Flat screen TV's (two were the size of iPads) and weirdly located. Besides that they were all old Phillips PLASMA TV not the new LRD ones, and the big one was so far away from the bed that one need binoculars. The hotel is very well located and almost all the staff friendly, but that is ok. I had breakfast at the hotel once, it was fair, but unfortunately on the last day I bumped into a mice crossing the main living room. The clerk that was on duty told me that rats are common in Amsterdam because of the canals, but I'm sure, and that they had recently had gotten ridden of Mr. Jenkings (apparently a friendly rat). Well as it probably turned out Mr. Jenkins was a Mrs Jenkings and next come her off springs! The bathroom was good but the sink was too small (ridiculously shallow) for the size of the bathroom and the shower doors were a joke. in a "Far-west saloon"style, they would never in a million years keep water from wetting the whole floor (hence the damaged door). This hotel is one of the VONDEL chain which by the way has another on the corner, called the VONDEL HOTEL! This one is a little more expensive, and a little fancier. tip: Avoid their restaurant the JOOST sucks! The pasta I ate was over cooked and the twirling waiter/maitre was a little bit too much. There are MUCH, MUCH better restaurants in Amsterdam, and I'm sure hotels for that matter.

2 Thank TACLA
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Roemer for 3 nights during April 2013 and will definitely recommend it. The hotel advantages are many:

1. Location - The hotel is located just outside the horse shoe, very close to the leidseplein area which makes it very close to the most hip and happening place in Amsterdam. One can walk to Museumplein and there is direct access to both central train station (thru tram) as well as Schipol airport (197 bus).

2. Friendly staff - The staff at the Roemer are friendly and go the extra mile in helping guests.

3. Decor - The hotel decor exudes a warm, just the thing you need when you return to your hotel after a long day's walk.

4. Junior suite bathroom - Generally when you are on a holiday, bathroom is the last thing you would look for. The room we stayed in had really swanky jacuzzi bath and a large rain shower.

Will definitely recommend this property to anyone.

Room Tip: We were allotted room 31, a junior suite. Worth the extra we paid for.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The Roemer Hotel is very well located in Amsterdam, nearby excellent stores and restaurants, also very close to the most sightseeings in the city (The Van Gogh and Rijik Museums). It's a "boutique" hotel, with fancy furniture and very very cozy. However, I face few problems during my 4 days stays such as: (a) the shower is not well sealed, spilling water all over the bathroom; (b) although with a beautiful design, the bathroom sink is not very functional at all; (c) in a considered 4 star hotel it really sucks not having 24h of free internet - each day is necessary to request a new password. Therefore, I recommend this hotel, but be aware that few problems may occur...

Room Tip: Corner suites seems to be larger since the rooms are quite full of furnitures!
2 Thank masb6
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My husband and I were given an exceptionally nice room on the top floor. Spacious and very attractive. Fantastic bathroom, large shower and jacuzzi bathtub. Very comfortable bed. Courteous and professional staff. I would definitely stay here again, if they gave me the same room.

1 Thank LaJolla3160
London
Reviewed 15 April 2013

So a 4 Star Hotel - one would expect a warm welcome, well appointed rooms, great room facilities, attentive staff?

Well, it took 5 rings of the bell to get an answer on our arrival and our welcome was muted. The hotel and our room was stylishly appointed but was beginning to look tired with scuffed carpets, chipped woodwork etc.

We were given Room 16, on the ground floor facing the street. The street was v quiet but we discovered (at 6am) we were next door the kitchens - and what a racket of plates, utensils, shouting and chatting. A 4 Star hotel should NOT situate rooms by its kitchens. So avoid both Rooms 16 & 17 if you are offered them - unless you want a kitchen driven alarm call every morning. Also we discovered we were at the bottom of the stairs, so were treated to hearing much tramping up and down the stairs of a morning.

Remarkably, when we ran the bath one evening we discovered there was no hot water - a complete first in my experience. The vaguely disinterested receptionist seemed powerless to help us. Incredible!!

There were positives - the bed was v comfortable (though it was two mattresses pushed together, so not best intimate), the shower excellent (when there was hot water), and location pleasant and quiet (if it wasn't for the kitchen and stair noise.

So maybe if we had been allocated an upstairs room our experience might have been different - but after our experience we wouldn't stay at The Roemer again.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms at all cost.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Spent three nights over easter . Second time of staying . Superb hotel . Had a junior suite , with large room for Amsterdam with superb jacuzzi bath and large shower. Staff were attentive and the breakfast better than the website suggests. Full cooked English etc . Location is just about as good as it gets. Roemer is better than its sister hotel , the vondel. Not cheap but worth every bit in my view.

Room Tip: go for the junior suites if your budget will allow!!!
1 Thank bingo2012