“Not bad”
Review of Orange Tulip Hotel

Orange Tulip Hotel
Ranked #362 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 November 2012

In general the hotel is good.. there isn't anything of special but the position is good (near the station and near the attractions of the city), the staff is available for evrything.
Reccomended for those lookinf for a hotel that doesn't cost too much.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Myself and a friend stayed here two nights, little hard to find at first not spotting it amongst the Damrak shops but it was close to the train station, district and tram station so nothing was too far to find! We paid for a double room - non refundable and must've been upgraded to a triple room which was nice, more spacious - Comedy Central on TV (always a bonus). Only downside to the room was our shower head wouldn't connect to the wall - but wasn't a big deal to us. Biggest issues with the place for us were the steep climb to the first floor, but that's just us being lazy and then at night there was a lot of shouting from other rooms but not the hotels fault! :)

So overall, pretty good place to stay if you just need somewhere to sleep whilst you're off exploring Amsterdam.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Ok where shall I start....we got off the train, and headed towards the hotel, on arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist, with a nice smile....she then ask all 5 of us for another €30 for some sort of city tax...but written on my reservation documents, in big letters, its
Said.."if this room is non refundable, (which it was) then the city tax is included in the
Price" when I showed this to the receptionist, she immediately changed her attitude,
To being very very abrupt and nasty...and started raising her voice to me and shouting
That basically I was mistaken...at that time the reception was full of people, and I was
Embarrassed, so I kept my mouth shut, and headed up the 4 flights of stairs, to our attic
Room, with six single beds in it, (when I booked I was promised a room with 3 bunk beds)
The bathroom and toilet is down one flight of stairs, the one window in the room, fell off
Off in my mates hand when he opened it, the curtains had all sorts of stains on them,
(I shudder to think),the taps on the wash basin sink, you couldn't turn, cos
They were so stiff and tight, the noise from the traffic outside at night is consistent, and
Never stops, the beds were so so so uncomfortable, and I will also tell you how much
They charged us for this mess of a place...ready....€560 for two nights ....yes my friends,
Day light robbery, also the toilet paper runs out each day about 12 clock in the
Afternoon, do I really need to carry on.....please do not stay if this hotel, it is a total mess

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Absolutely dismal. We stayed in a double room, bed was tiny and collapsed when lying on it.

We considered moving hotels after our first night, but decided to make the best of our time actually seeing the sights instead. In hindsight, wish we had left, as we had money stolen from the locked safe, and an uncomfortable exchange with the front desk about it when reported - absolutely nothing was done about it, the comment I got was that it must be our fault as "surely only we knew the code".

Will definitely go back to Amsterdam, but would not stay at this place again if you paid me!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We saw this hotel on a booking website following a Google search and the photographs looked quite reasonable and the price was OK. The room we stayed in was NOT anything like the website advertised.
On arrival the check in was not very friendly. The walk up the stairs was very scary as they are narrow and very steep. But all of this was nothing compared to what we faced when we opened the door to the room. At first, we laughed as it seemed a joke. Then it dawned on us just how bad it was. The room was filthy, the bedding was dirty and stained, the electrical fittings dangerous and loose, the TV was tiny and didn't work and the bathroom was disgusting. The view out of the window was of a flat roof covered in junk and pigeon droppings everywhere, topped off with a dead pigeon. Honestly, this place should be closed down. Stained walls, loose wires, rust in the bathroom, broken picture on the wall, this place had it all!
We complained and asked for a refund and were refused. We left and found a really nice hotel round the corner. I was not able to recover any money paid despite writing and threatening legal action to both the hotel and the booking site.
Anyone reading these reviews and wondering whether to stay here.....DON'T. Find another hotel and steer well clear of this one. You have been warned!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

Was a bit anxious when we checked into this place set up doesnt seem right - doesnt feel like a hotel. So its true we had to ring the bell of another building and walk up some steepish stairs to get to your room but I was glad of the security to be honest.
room was right above busy damrak but my experience was that i slept right through. my roomie didnt though and was burned several times by a radiator which the bed was next to. Couldnt really go anywhere else.
There was a particularly bad smell coming from toilet probably sewage which was a bit offputting. Thankfullywe only stayed one night and could skip shower.
Staff seem pleasant enough and location is brill just step outside your door and your in the middle of it.
Good steakhouse downstairs where hotel guests get 10% off worth a visit.
Preferred mozart hotel

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Rooms are basic but clean. Bathrooms are in the hallways which, while slightly annoying, isn't a deal breaker.

Wifi works fine.

Great location, the stairs are rather annoying but other than that it's fine.

• Stayed: September 2012