“Worst hotel ever”

Hotel De Koopermoolen
Ranked #234 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
Reviewed 7 May 2006

Just returned from a few days break in Amsterdam, it is the fifth time of spending a long weekend there, usually we would stay in the botel but it was fully booked. We were a bit disapointed not being able to return to the same hotel but when we arrived at the koopermoolen disapointment turned to horor. It is really dark and dirty with no real maid service. There is a terrible stale smell everywhere you go. It is ideally situated in Amsterdam for the bars in the red light but if your going to Amsterdam to enjoy the culture i wouldn't stay here because you will be highly dissapointed. There are plenty of other hotels in this price range with far better facilities.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 6 May 2006

This is a dirty horrible hotel with small badly lit rooms that are not value for money, when we stayed not only did we experiaence the dirtyest hotel that weve ever stayed in we also experienced thieves working behind the reception. We purchased the rent of a safety deposit box and the money was stolen out of it which is a first for us, and we are a croud of ten lads from liverpool so nothing would usually shock us but this was beyond belief. So if you are reading this and have already booked a roon cancel it because for the money you pay you could get a hotel 100% better than this rat infested flee pit.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank stubLiverpool
Reviewed 2 April 2006

To be honest before I booked my hotel I read reviews of many amsterdam hotels on this site and I decided to go with Hotel de Koopermoolen. After staying there I can honestly understand why so many people think its not up to standard. I was one of the lucky ones but its definitely not three star standard. I stayed there for five nites with my girlfriend. The room was ok although it looked nothing like the double room picture advertised on the site.
First of all I'll comment on the staff..One of them was very helpful and friendly. The others came across as slightly arrogant. Not very helpful. Always sitting around in the lobbey smoking pot (its amsterdam..what do you expect i guess)..still..its not something u would expect to see in a hotel lobbey..the dont help you with your bags and the lift is tiny (about 1 square metre)..if you have a lot of luggage ur screwed..

When we eventually got to the room we thought "its not bad..could have been worse"..from the horror stories i had read about some hotel rooms in amsterdam this seemed ok..dont get me wrong..you get what you pay for..its one of the cheaper hotels so dont expect amazing rooms.we paid 370 euro for a double room for five nights.
i think we were lucky enough to get one of the better rooms..i think if you have a room pre-booked you probably get the better ones.
the only complaints i have about the room were the shower handle was broken which meant u had to hold it while showering(not too serious), the noise at night was terrible but thats what you get when you book a hotel in central amsterdam...
the room was small but besides that it was just ok..i would give the room a three out of five..
the heating was working..the blankets were very light which didnt suit my girlfriend..she likes the heat..the tv worked..it is advertised that you can purchase movies to watch in your room..however when we asked at the desk they said the system was down..they seemed to find it very funny..
There was no telephone..
You can smoke in the room which is convenient.
The bedside light worked..Aside from the shower the bathroom was fine..
it is very close to everything..very close to all the coffeeshops and red light district..and central station is only a 5/10 minute walk away..
Basically I agree with the other reviews..I can see why people were unhappy with the rooms. We were lucky to get a room with only minor things wrong with it..
Again, as the other guys said, if you are looking for a nice hotel DO NOT STAY HERE..if you are in a stag or hen party or just need a place to sleep for a few hours a night its fine..
i dont think we would stay there again though..

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank Quagland
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I just came back from Amsterdam, where I stayed for 4 nights in this hotel, and my experience can be summarized by one question: how in the world can this dump be advertized as a 3-star hotel??!!! It barely qualifies as a run-down - and overpriced - hostel. I felt totally cheated by the web description of this place. I could accept all the problems I found if I had known I was checking into a hostel, but that's not how this hotel is advertized.
I travel a lot to Europe, always pick 3-star hotels, and this was the first time I was simply shocked by what I found. Tiny, dark, dirty room, in which you could hardly turn wihtout bumping into a wall or the bed; no Kleenex in the bathroom, only a permanently empty container for it; no advertized hair-dryer (when I asked for one in the lobby, the receptionist seemed surprised and annoyed that I didn't bring my own, he apparently didn't expect he would be asked to provide one); no advertized telephone in the room either. The room service consisted in tucking in the sheets (not even straightening the pillows); used towels were not always removed, only new ones added, which was also a bit difficult since there were NO towel holders in the bathroom nor any counter space on which to put things; the lobby was always filled with a bunch of men (I guess employees & friends) eating meals, filling the space with thick smoke, and having a loud merry time, creating a pretty unwelcoming impression. The lighting in the room was atrocious - the ceiling light barely there and while the miniature half-table was basically taken by two smallish table lamps, one didn't have a bulb (and none was provided after my inquiry) and the other was not enough to read by.
I should've known there was something wrong when the receptionist insisted on paying in full the moment you arrive (another "first" in my traveling experience'; none of the 3-star hotels ever make you do that). If it weren't for this trick, I would've moved out of there after the first night, that's for sure.
The breakfast is OK, I suppose, if you don't care too much what you're eating. It definitely is not anywhere near a 3-star level and the room is a dumpy looking, bare-bones cafeteria with what seemed like a permanently wet floor when I was there.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 March 2006

My girlfriend and I recently toured europe and we had a stop in amsterdam. We booked at the this hotel called Hotel Central Amsterdam. Upon arriving there we found a boarded up building on the main strip with directions to another hotel. This place looked like it was condemned. So we walked over a couple of blocks to Hotel Koopermoolen. Which in comparison to the prevois hotel looked alright. Well we judged by the lobby appearnce. We were offered a chioce of room a larger room with its own bathroom which we had requested which was besdie the lobby and another tiny room at the back of the hotel. We chose the larger one with the bathroom. So for starters the TV didnt work. The Sheets were ripped. the toilet seat wouldnt stay up so it was constantly hittin u in the back or u had to hold it up while using the toilet. The bed side lights would work unless u balanced an ashtray on the cord. When we complained about the TV the said they would look at it. I later heard the staff laughing about the lack of TV. the knew it didnt work are werent goin to do anything about it. They were friendly people but there was always a couple of them hanging around the lobby watching TV and smokin pot.
The location was great if u want drugged up people wandering past at all hours. We were moved upstairs to another room for the last night of our stay were there was no lift. have fun with your luggage no one offered to help. The room was tiny smelled bad and had no bathroom only a shower. We paid over 300 euros for this 3 night stay. I realize the staff and management probably dont care much as there will always be suckers lookin for a place to stay and that is why they make u pay up front. We looked for other hotels nearby whih were comparably priced and there are many other options. DO NOT STAY HERE! Unless u want your stay in amsterdam to be ruined. On a side note if are in college and just want a place to crash at the end of a night of bong hits and booze. this place would be ideal. If u want somewhere nice to stay with clean linens, etc. Dont stay here!

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank BryanA76
Reviewed 14 January 2006

we are 2 couples from the uk and we have just recently returned from a stay at hotel de koopermoolen. we stayed over new year and it was superb! the hotel is great. it has nice clean rooms with everything you need in them, tv, shower gel shampoo and clean towels daily. the heating is on 24/7. which was great as it was snowing outside, you could turn the heating down or off if it got too warm. the breakfast is very good, eat as much as you like and is included in the room price. the staff are friendly and helpful. the location is brilliant right in the centre were you want to be and only 5 mins walk to central station. we will definitely stay here again. i would recommend this hotel to everyone. but remember this is a 3* hotel and is great value for a hotel right in the centre. but if you want 5* luxury you will have to pay much more!

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank nicky-sn
North East England
Reviewed 25 November 2005

The Web site gives the impression of a quaint traditional hotel so we could not wait to check in. How wrong and different was the real thing. Our congratulations go to the photographer!
The first room we were shown was above the front doors and the window at floor level gave the impression that this was a brothel (to the people out in the street!) The room was unbearably hot and tiny. Our second room on the top floor was quieter and cooler at the back of the hotel with a view of the rooftops. Access was by an ancient and very slow lift. Housekeeping was rubbish as all they did was tuck in the covers over the creased sheets etc. On the second day we discovered that the sheets were torn and complained - given clean sheets but had to remake beds ourselves - now understand why this hotel makes you pay in full up front!
On the plus side, breakfast was quite acceptable, (but in a room more like a university refrectory)and the location is central, albeit very close to red light district.

• Stayed: November 2005