Hotel De Koopermoolen
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$307
US$445
US$258
US$205
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$163
  • Bar/Lounge
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$276
US$262
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$130
US$315
US$278
Orbitz.com
US$323
US$225
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$130
  • Restaurant
All reviewscentral stationexcellent locationbasic hotelthe ritzluggage roomred light districtboiled eggscontinental breakfastwould stay againfantastic staydouble bedcerealnightlifedamheatingbasementtrain
FilterAll languages
Liverpool
Reviewed 7 May 2006

As a stag party, we stayed in this hotel as it was in the heart of Amsterdam and although the found the hotel was scruffy, quite dirty and had basic amenities (well a portable tv in the room with no remote or any way to change the channel or higher or lower it and a broken shower) this was sufficent.

We found the staff to be arrogant, extremely unhelpful and they seemed to disappear everytime there was a problem. Firstly they overcharged us, we argued about this, however eventually accepted and paid up. They then charged us 5 euros each to put our valuables, money and passports in their safety deposit boxes behind the counter in reception, which did not seem to be unreasonable. They were very anxious for us to use the safety deposit boxes and it soon became apparent why. When we went to check out of the hotel and take the valuables out of the boxes the passports were there but no money.

The receptionist did not seem to be suprised and when I asked to see the CCTV footage, suprise, surprise there were no cameras on the safety deposit boxes, although they were everywhere else in the building and outside. After wasting two hours of our last day the owners son turned up at the hotel and went through the footage in a downstairs room with only one of our party (on fast forward). The owners son then offered to pay part of the money back but I said we were going to the police, the receptionist who was working when the money went missing said he would follow us to the police station. We made our report with the police and surprise, suprise he never showed up at the police station, so we went back to the hotel. He had apparently gone home and was no due back in until after 7pm even though he usually starts work at 4pm. Luckily enough we were not travelling home until late on so we told them we would be back.

After getting the police report and going back to the hotel after 7, we showed the report to the receptionist and gave them a copy for their records. The receptionist denied he was going to follow us to the police station and blamed everybody apart from himself. At this point every other member of staff and all the dodgy characters who stood outside all day had disappeared. The police were also not surprised when we mentioned the name of the hotel. We never got to the bottom of the missing money although only one person had access to the keys to the safety deposit boxes throughout the time the money went missing.

We had wasted a full day of my stag weekend and were left with no money to buy presents for the families / food & drink for ourselves or to enjoy all the attractions of one of the best cities in the world.

I would strongly urged people to stay away from this hotel and all the dodgy characters who staff it.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 7 May 2006

Just returned from a few days break in Amsterdam, it is the fifth time of spending a long weekend there, usually we would stay in the botel but it was fully booked. We were a bit disapointed not being able to return to the same hotel but when we arrived at the koopermoolen disapointment turned to horor. It is really dark and dirty with no real maid service. There is a terrible stale smell everywhere you go. It is ideally situated in Amsterdam for the bars in the red light but if your going to Amsterdam to enjoy the culture i wouldn't stay here because you will be highly dissapointed. There are plenty of other hotels in this price range with far better facilities.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 May 2006

This is a dirty horrible hotel with small badly lit rooms that are not value for money, when we stayed not only did we experiaence the dirtyest hotel that weve ever stayed in we also experienced thieves working behind the reception. We purchased the rent of a safety deposit box and the money was stolen out of it which is a first for us, and we are a croud of ten lads from liverpool so nothing would usually shock us but this was beyond belief. So if you are reading this and have already booked a roon cancel it because for the money you pay you could get a hotel 100% better than this rat infested flee pit.

5  Thank stubLiverpool
Reviewed 2 April 2006

To be honest before I booked my hotel I read reviews of many amsterdam hotels on this site and I decided to go with Hotel de Koopermoolen. After staying there I can honestly understand why so many people think its not up to standard. I was one of the lucky ones but its definitely not three star standard. I stayed there for five nites with my girlfriend. The room was ok although it looked nothing like the double room picture advertised on the site.
First of all I'll comment on the staff..One of them was very helpful and friendly. The others came across as slightly arrogant. Not very helpful. Always sitting around in the lobbey smoking pot (its amsterdam..what do you expect i guess)..still..its not something u would expect to see in a hotel lobbey..the dont help you with your bags and the lift is tiny (about 1 square metre)..if you have a lot of luggage ur screwed..

When we eventually got to the room we thought "its not bad..could have been worse"..from the horror stories i had read about some hotel rooms in amsterdam this seemed ok..dont get me wrong..you get what you pay for..its one of the cheaper hotels so dont expect amazing rooms.we paid 370 euro for a double room for five nights.
i think we were lucky enough to get one of the better rooms..i think if you have a room pre-booked you probably get the better ones.
the only complaints i have about the room were the shower handle was broken which meant u had to hold it while showering(not too serious), the noise at night was terrible but thats what you get when you book a hotel in central amsterdam...
the room was small but besides that it was just ok..i would give the room a three out of five..
the heating was working..the blankets were very light which didnt suit my girlfriend..she likes the heat..the tv worked..it is advertised that you can purchase movies to watch in your room..however when we asked at the desk they said the system was down..they seemed to find it very funny..
There was no telephone..
You can smoke in the room which is convenient.
The bedside light worked..Aside from the shower the bathroom was fine..
it is very close to everything..very close to all the coffeeshops and red light district..and central station is only a 5/10 minute walk away..
Basically I agree with the other reviews..I can see why people were unhappy with the rooms. We were lucky to get a room with only minor things wrong with it..
Again, as the other guys said, if you are looking for a nice hotel DO NOT STAY HERE..if you are in a stag or hen party or just need a place to sleep for a few hours a night its fine..
i dont think we would stay there again though..

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank Quagland
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I just came back from Amsterdam, where I stayed for 4 nights in this hotel, and my experience can be summarized by one question: how in the world can this dump be advertized as a 3-star hotel??!!! It barely qualifies as a run-down - and overpriced - hostel. I felt totally cheated by the web description of this place. I could accept all the problems I found if I had known I was checking into a hostel, but that's not how this hotel is advertized.
I travel a lot to Europe, always pick 3-star hotels, and this was the first time I was simply shocked by what I found. Tiny, dark, dirty room, in which you could hardly turn wihtout bumping into a wall or the bed; no Kleenex in the bathroom, only a permanently empty container for it; no advertized hair-dryer (when I asked for one in the lobby, the receptionist seemed surprised and annoyed that I didn't bring my own, he apparently didn't expect he would be asked to provide one); no advertized telephone in the room either. The room service consisted in tucking in the sheets (not even straightening the pillows); used towels were not always removed, only new ones added, which was also a bit difficult since there were NO towel holders in the bathroom nor any counter space on which to put things; the lobby was always filled with a bunch of men (I guess employees & friends) eating meals, filling the space with thick smoke, and having a loud merry time, creating a pretty unwelcoming impression. The lighting in the room was atrocious - the ceiling light barely there and while the miniature half-table was basically taken by two smallish table lamps, one didn't have a bulb (and none was provided after my inquiry) and the other was not enough to read by.
I should've known there was something wrong when the receptionist insisted on paying in full the moment you arrive (another "first" in my traveling experience'; none of the 3-star hotels ever make you do that). If it weren't for this trick, I would've moved out of there after the first night, that's for sure.
The breakfast is OK, I suppose, if you don't care too much what you're eating. It definitely is not anywhere near a 3-star level and the room is a dumpy looking, bare-bones cafeteria with what seemed like a permanently wet floor when I was there.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business