Hotel De Mallemoolen
US$283
US$208
Room Mate Hotels
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$176
ibis
  • Restaurant
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$208
US$269
US$219
  • Restaurant
MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$144
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
US$461
US$333
  • Room Service
NH Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$215
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$131
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The worst experience of my life. I just about managed the ladder type stairway to doom and gloom and after one look walked out. There was not a toilet anywhere near the several rooms that end of the building, a disgusting shower cubicle on the stairwell with a sliding plastic door no privacy obviously it becomes the toilet for the several rooms. The room had no sink, mirror or anything to make your stay remotely pleasant. It should be classed as a DOSSHOUSE for vagrants at best and closed down. This is the worst accommodation I have ever seen, my money has been lost as they charge the first night which was our only night, I had to pay to stay elsewhere. When booking this accommodation it was not rated a one star hotel, the average rating on feedback is a 7 which all in all puts you off the scent of this being truly sickening.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel the rooms we had were in a very dangerous part of the building at the back no way out in a fire.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank D B
Reviewed 24 September 2011

The staff were very friendly and always round to help. The room was excellent for the money we paid and although the toilet and shower were shared with 2 other rooms, we never saw anyone else at all. The hotel was easy to find and was in a great place, situated 10 minutes from the train station and a walk down the road to Dam Square and also very near the Red Light District. Overall, very impressed and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Wind41
Reviewed 29 March 2011

This is a cheap, basic hotel right in the heart of Amsterdam, minutes from the famous cafe - The Grasshopper. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

I would not recommend this hotel for people looking for a quiet night, but who goes to Amsterdam for that and stays in a 1* hotel?! A lot of these negative reviews are from people who seem to have booked the cheap option without properly considering the implications of this.

If you're looking for somewhere to crash with a few friends whilst experiencing everything Amsterdam has to offer then this is somewhere I would definitely recommend. I am intending to go back to the 'Dam in the next few months and will not be looking further than here to book.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 12 December 2010

This place is pretty junky and run down, but since it was during the IBC convention I had no choice. Good for smokers and people who like the red light. Anyone with hopes of a "nice stay" should consider elsewhere.

Staff was good though.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank EWerner
Reviewed 13 July 2010

The Hotel De Mallemoolen is a friendly, hospitable hotel inbetween the Centraal Station and the Red Light District (in fact, it is at the top of Warmooestraat, one of the first streets in the RLD).

As others have mentioned the staff are polite (although it's an odd kind of aloof politeness which we noticed from many other Dutch staff everywhere), there is a luggage room in the main building which you can use before or after checking in/out, there is a PC in the reception which is slow as hell but at least it works, there is a daily breakfast with some nice food and drink, and for getting to the train station or the tram terminus it's in a perfect accessible location.

We stayed in Room 10, for which one must climb three increasingly steep and narrow flights of stairs (it's almost as though you're climbing into your loft/attic). A bit annoying but as long as you spend most of the day out you don't take too much notice, although in an inebriated state I'd advise caution. Our room was clean, had a small TV and sink with mirror, and a couple of bedside tables and a single chair. The room can smell of cannabis when you arrive but it's easy to latch the window open whilst you're out to keep it fresh (of course, then you have a problem of fresh cannabis smoke coming in from the many coffeeshops and residences neighbouring your room!).

My girlfriend and I both suffered back pain for the first two days since the mattresses are incredibly soft, and difficult to get on/off of. The room is also quite cramped, as it is at the top of the building (although I think rooms on floors below ours might have been just as cramped for having more beds in them). Yay for being able to watch the BBC and on the Dutch channel Veronica, American sitcoms like Two and a Half Men or The Simpsons. You get a sink but you have to share the Hotel's shower rooms and toilets, which are almost never occupied when you need them but feel kinda small. Whilst we were there the shower drain begin to clog up more and more until our last night when we just gave up on having a shower at all. Our failure not to mention this to the staff, who probably could have unclogged it during housekeeping hours.

The location of the hotel is a huge advantage for sightseeing and entertainment, but it can be annoying as you're in the centre of the nightlife, which can be noisy even when the window is shut. We arrived in the second week-long heatwave so far this summer, so sleeping with the window shut was impossible, but even with the window open the room was too hot to move! We weren't exactly getting to bed early, but even at 7 a.m. I'd wake up to shouting matches between god-knows-who down in the street on two days, I'm actually looking forward to my first decent night of kip now that I'm back home!

Overall, some people may be fine with all the hotel's setbacks, but for the price (€72 per room per night ((€36 per person))) I feel we should have at least had more space, or a quieter location, or an ensuite toilet and bathroom, or airconditioning, or any combination thereof. I would recommend group travellers to stick to a well-rated hostel (if there's enough of you, book a dormitory room just for yourselves) and couples like us would be better advised to find someplace outside the Red Light District. I wish I'd known about TripAdvisor before I booked the place, not to imply that Mallemoolen is bad, only that I would have wanted more amenities for the price.

p.s. you get bath towels (only one other review mentioned this).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple