“Good location, Friendly staff”

Hotel De Mallemoolen
Ranked #306 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I read some bad reviews before I went and expected the worst.

On arrival I found the staff to be friendly, helpful, and efficient. My room was on the first floor (the stairs are typically steep) overlooking the street. Obviously there was a certain amount of noise from the street below but it was good to sit and watch the world go by. The room was clean, quite small and functional but catered for my needs admirably. The shared shower and toilet facilities were also clean and more than adequate. The buffet breakfast included in the price set me up for the day.

Located a few minutes walk from the station I was able to reach all the places I wished to visit comfortably on foot. Warmoesstraat hosts a wide variety of bars and restaurants (even a smoking bar). I will certainly visit again.

I booked through www.hotels.nl

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank FustyBox

Reviewed 16 November 2008

My other half & I have just returned from the hotel today after a 3 night stay.
Have to say I loved it.
Really did.
Cosy little room, central location (5 mins to Dam Square, Centraal Station, Trams.....), friendly staff and to be honest you get what you pay for.
We got clean towles, new soap, plastic cups and our beds made each day.

Our room was at the back of the hotel (room 6), had 2 single beds right beside eachother, little table with 2 chairs, small wardobe, big window and a sink.
The loo was just across the hall as was the shower room.
Alot can be heard from the loo so be aware.
Oh also there are security cameras on each floor so if like me you feel the need to wander to the loo in the middle of the night half dessed, you will be seen. Ahem.

We had read the reviews on here and so were wondering about the stairs and they did not fail to dissapoint, we had a laugh each time trying to get up and down.
Especially when drunk or exhausted fom walking all day.

Any issues, and we only had 1, was nothing at all to do with the hotel staff but more to do with the inconciderate group of people who checked into the room acoss the hall fom us and the one beside us and proceeded to shout across at eachother and generally cause noise and discomfot for my boyfriend and I but as I said it was nothing wrong with the hotel itself but I suppose in budget accomodation such things will happen and thank god was only for one night.
If you stay here ask for room 3,4, 5 or 6. Not sure about the upper floor rooms.
Hope you enjoy your stay there!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DublinRobbie
Reviewed 12 July 2008

My friends and I enjoyed our stay here very much. We walked about 5 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal with our backpacks, checked in and climbed up the slightly treacherous (but doable- even with big backpacks) staircase to our 5-person room. The breakfast was decent and free so we didn't complain. There were lots of other young people/students staying there and it was easy to meet your next door neighbors since the hotel only has three rooms on each floor. It's located spitting distance from the Red Light District but we never felt uncomfortable or unsafe at night, or during the day for that matter. The many sex shops may make some uncomfortable but it all depends. It did get a little noisy outside but it wasn't anything a good pair of earplugs couldn't handle. All in all we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank hgimp00
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We arrived at the hotel early afternoon. Checked in next door at the Koopermoolen and recieved a genuinely warm welcome from the concierge (Michael, I think?). He immediately made our children welcome and gave us a terrific first impression of the city. Upon realising we were a family he also upgraded us to an ensuite room (I didn't know we weren't in one!).

After negotiating the stairs, (wow!), we entered a smallish but quite neat and tidy room containing double bed, bunk beds, TV and ensuite. Not the Hilton, but definitely not a flea-pit either!

The position of the hotel is great, right in among restaurants, bars, cafe's. You're close to Centraal Station, Dam Square, shopping etc, and yes, right next to the Red Light Area, but not in it!

This hotel suited our needs perfectly and whilst there were probably a few uncomfortable "cover your eyes kids!" moments, these were far outweighed by the positives.

For a budget bed, right in the heart of Amsterdam, you wouldn't go past the Mallemoolen!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank dewscay
Reviewed 21 February 2008

When we booked this hotel (after reading these quite mixed reviews) I have to say that we were slightly concerned but upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised! Yes, the rooms are rather basic and you have to share the bathrooms but it's a small price to pay as the staff were friendly, the location is excellent and for the price I think it's a definate bargain. I've visited Amsterdam numerous times and have stayed in a variety of places (hostels, 5 star hotels and a rented apartment) and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap getaway to Amsterdam.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank Lou084
Reviewed 26 November 2007

When we booked up this hotel, we were looking for as cheap as we could get, and we did well! £66 pp for three nights (there were three of us). We wern't expecting much of the hotel, due to the cheapness, although were pleased to find out this price included breakfast!

We got into Amsterdam at about 10am and were able to check in and go up to our room then, rather than have to wait until 12, which was a bonus.

The room was small, with bunk beds and a single bed, a sink, a television (with quite a wide range of channels, albeit dutch channels.) and a table and chairs by the window.

The location was excellent, a 2 minute walk to the Red Light district, so close but not TOO close!

Would love to be able to tell you about the breakfast, but unfortunately we never got up in time to eat it!

The shower and toilet were both separate and shared by the whole floor. they were probably the worst part of this hotel, and were small and dingy and had a funny smell about them! It wasn't unbearable, but still wasn't pleasant. Also when getting changed into your clothes in the shower room, it was so small most of the floor got wet, so putting trousers on without letting them touch the floor, in a tiny space was quite funny!

Something that could have been anoying (but wasn't) was the fact that to get into the mallemoolen, you had to go into it's sister hotel next door (Koopermoolen) and ask to be buzzed in. The desk was operational 24 hours a day and didn't cause any trouble though!

Finally, the best bit about the hotel? The name! Seriously, get stoned and talk about the Mallemoolen and the Koopermoolen and try not to laugh!

Overall, small and basic, but this is what we paid for so no complaints!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hannzie
Reviewed 25 September 2007

We arrived at the hotel at about 10am, it was fairly easy to find - about 5 mins from central station. Very convienent for the Red Light district and is right in the centre of the main tourist area with bars, coffee shops, caffs and restaurants. You check in at the hotel next door and they buzz you in at the next doorway along. The stairs are very steep and we stayed on the second floor so had two flights to climb. Room was clean but fairly small which wasnt a problem as we only used it for sleeping. It had a tv, desk, wash basin and a window. The shower was shared but this didnt cause us any problems and if you get the temperature right gives you a really good shower. Shared toilet was a bit grimy but still ok. Breakfast was good - ham, cheese, bread, salami etc. The only major gripe was the amount of noise from the other guests and the slamming and very creaky doors which woke us up at about 4 every night. Apart from that, we would stay again.

Stayed: September 2007