Hotel De Mallemoolen
US$163
US$154
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel The Exchange(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$189
Agoda.com
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$142
Lloyd Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$107
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$153
  • Restaurant
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$258
US$153
  • Pool
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$162
US$131
Volkshotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$114
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 June 2009

My brother and I stayed here for two nights. There is someone at the front desk 24 hours a day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a breakfast served every morning. When we were given our key, we were told that we could leave the key at the front desk when we leave and just pick it up when we get back, just so it would not get lost or stolen. In order to get into our room each time (since we were staying in the same hotel but essentially next door), we got someone at the front desk to buzz us past the front door. There is no elevator, so we walked up 3 flights of really, really narrow stairs. The ceiling in the hallway is pretty low, but we are pretty big guys and we managed it just fine. We stayed in room #10, which had twin beds, a sink, a TV, two chairs, and a small table. The room was small and a little hard to maneuver around, but we managed just fine. Whenever we would first enter the room, it would smell like someone had been smoking drugs in it, but we would just open the windows and after a few minutes the smell mostly went away. (It is a smoker-friendly hotel and allows smoking in the rooms). Down the hall there was a single communal toilet with and sink with a lock for the door and in another room was a single communal shower, which had a lock for the door as well. We were told we could use any of showers or toilets on other floors as well if we wanted. Our particular floor's shower had a window looking into a small alley on top of the roof of the hotel, but there was a curtain between the window and the shower and then another curtain between the shower and the door to the shower room. The hotel provided us with towels and some soap. The sheets for the beds were largely clean, but the blanket had a few spots on it that I just avoided. The hotel is located just a few blocks from Centraal Station, there are a number of "coffee shops" and bars both on the block and nearby. You are a block away from the red light district, a few blocks away from Dam square, but you are about a 20 minute walk from what I think is called Rembrand Square which is generally a big scene at night. The area felt safe at night, but we were cautioned by the friendly police that past 12 or 1 am it gets a little bit less safe to hang around the red light district area, particularly if you are on a street where there is no camera surveillance (although many of the streets have such surveillance). Until around midnight though we were told it is relatively safe. When we were checking out of the hotel, we were allowed to lock up our bags in a storage room for the day. Overall, the hotel is in a very nice location, near various bike rental places, has friendly and helpful staff, the room was pretty good for what we paid for, and I would recommend it to others, particularly to people on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank euroandpoundsrock
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My friend and I used this hotel as we needed a cheap hotel in the centre of Amsterdam. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Only a day before arriving a person who was travelling could no longer travel. I emailed the hotel and they were able to change our booking to a 2 bed instead of a 3 bed room. We arrived very early and the staff were very friendly and allowed us to use the luggage room until our room was ready. The location itself is excellant. It is literally a few minutes and several hundred metres from the central station. It is located in the heart of the red light district near to loads of coffeeshops, bars and restaurants. This early promise though came crashing down when we got our room keys. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was incredibly small. The first thing that hit us was the odd smell in the hotel and the room and a general feeling that the room was dirty and dated. This was reinforced by the presence of numerous flies in the room. The shared toilet was acceptable, but the shared shower was really smelly and felt unhygenic and dirty. Further to this there was no hot water on the second day of our stay. Although the location is superb, this is about as bad as it gets for a hotel room in the westernised world. Do not take a partner to this hotel and if anyone likes their comforts this is not the place to go. An awful hotel room and I left feeling I needed a good clean. I would suggest that if you want a basic and cheap place to stay, then try the St Christopher's Inn located in the same area. This is a really poor hotel that needs a serious refurbishment.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Packman78
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I read some bad reviews before I went and expected the worst.

On arrival I found the staff to be friendly, helpful, and efficient. My room was on the first floor (the stairs are typically steep) overlooking the street. Obviously there was a certain amount of noise from the street below but it was good to sit and watch the world go by. The room was clean, quite small and functional but catered for my needs admirably. The shared shower and toilet facilities were also clean and more than adequate. The buffet breakfast included in the price set me up for the day.

Located a few minutes walk from the station I was able to reach all the places I wished to visit comfortably on foot. Warmoesstraat hosts a wide variety of bars and restaurants (even a smoking bar). I will certainly visit again.

I booked through www.hotels.nl

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank FustyBox
Reviewed 16 November 2008

My other half & I have just returned from the hotel today after a 3 night stay.
Have to say I loved it.
Really did.
Cosy little room, central location (5 mins to Dam Square, Centraal Station, Trams.....), friendly staff and to be honest you get what you pay for.
We got clean towles, new soap, plastic cups and our beds made each day.

Our room was at the back of the hotel (room 6), had 2 single beds right beside eachother, little table with 2 chairs, small wardobe, big window and a sink.
The loo was just across the hall as was the shower room.
Alot can be heard from the loo so be aware.
Oh also there are security cameras on each floor so if like me you feel the need to wander to the loo in the middle of the night half dessed, you will be seen. Ahem.

We had read the reviews on here and so were wondering about the stairs and they did not fail to dissapoint, we had a laugh each time trying to get up and down.
Especially when drunk or exhausted fom walking all day.

Any issues, and we only had 1, was nothing at all to do with the hotel staff but more to do with the inconciderate group of people who checked into the room acoss the hall fom us and the one beside us and proceeded to shout across at eachother and generally cause noise and discomfot for my boyfriend and I but as I said it was nothing wrong with the hotel itself but I suppose in budget accomodation such things will happen and thank god was only for one night.
If you stay here ask for room 3,4, 5 or 6. Not sure about the upper floor rooms.
Hope you enjoy your stay there!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DublinRobbie
Reviewed 12 July 2008

My friends and I enjoyed our stay here very much. We walked about 5 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal with our backpacks, checked in and climbed up the slightly treacherous (but doable- even with big backpacks) staircase to our 5-person room. The breakfast was decent and free so we didn't complain. There were lots of other young people/students staying there and it was easy to meet your next door neighbors since the hotel only has three rooms on each floor. It's located spitting distance from the Red Light District but we never felt uncomfortable or unsafe at night, or during the day for that matter. The many sex shops may make some uncomfortable but it all depends. It did get a little noisy outside but it wasn't anything a good pair of earplugs couldn't handle. All in all we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends