“Caution”
Review of Sphinx Hotel

Sphinx Hotel
Ranked #324 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 30 November 2006

I was Shocked when i arrived at the Sphinx. The double room me and my mate were given was just 6ft wide, and about 18ft long. There was no room to swing a dead cat in there. The room was also next to the shared toilet, and didn't always smell the best.
Some of the staff were friendly, others seemed to do as much as they could to avoid helping you- even down to the women who wouldn't give me my deposit back on checkout, because she never had any change!

A further problem with the Sphinx was the breakfast! There was cheese, ham, salami, dry bread and boiled egs (which were nearly always black inside). One morning i asked if i could have my bread toasted- a seemingly proposterious request.

It wasn't all bad though. The hotel is in a really good location, walking distence to almost all of the cities attractions. Although the room was small and smelt from time-to-time, if you not intending to be in your room much (which we weren't) then this hotel will do you just fine. Although personally i think it is very over priced for the standards it provides- next time i would stay in a hostel or the hotel Abba- cheaper and better quality and standards.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank r0b26

Reviewed 30 October 2006

This place didnt honor our booking despite having my credit card number, we arrived at 12:15 just as my email said and they had given our room away. The place looked very basic and dated. the guy speaks very poor english and answered the door half shaven(shaving cream and all), he also had no advice on where else we could stay in amsterdam. we didnt find another hotel untill 12:00 the next day. DONT STAY HERE!!! there are better value places to stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank timbo69
Reviewed 21 October 2006

This hotel was perfectly fine. It wasn't the best low budget hotel I stayed in on my travels round Europe, but it wasn't the worst either. Staff were very friendly and welcoming (watch out for the 4% charge if you pay by credit card though). The room was nice and brightly decorated, and I didn't find it to be too small as per other reviews. The shower and toilet were okay, kind of old fashioned though. Just had a shower as quickly as I could! I would consider staying here again if I was returning to Amsterdam on a budget.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
1  Thank DearChicago
Reviewed 12 October 2006

I wish all one star hotels were as nice as the Sphinx. I had a single room for two weeks on the top floor and yes those stairs are steep (so pack efficiently) but think of the astounding photos you'll show back home!

The bed was comfy with clean sheet and duvet. The room was small but had a a big sink and one of those windows that open completely -- lots of fresh air -- and a great view (top floor). The tv worked fine. Once when the housekeeper used a floral spray that disagreed with my nose, a few words resulted in fresh linens and not a trace of perfume.

The location is ideal: there's a tram hub just up the street. It's a brisk walk to the best museums or a bit further to leidseplein. There's a laundrette almost directly across the street. Nearby food ranges from shoarma and broodje shops to several nice restaurants -- japan and italian.

When I had to have a cab called at 5:30 am, the sleepy concierge had one there in minutes and returned my key deposit promptly.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone in reasonable physical condition.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2006

We really enjoyed our stay in sphinx hotel perfect location and clean rooms.
The personal is friendly and the price not expensive what do you want more?
I cant understand how peopel can expect more from a 2 star hotel.We like amsterdam and will come back to sphinx hotel definitly. Highly recomended!!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2006

Basically, this hotel is cheap to stay in and I would recommend it for long weekends, but if you are staying longer, look elsewhere. The rooms are very well kept and clean, but they are very small. I read another review on this site of this hotel and it was said that you would have a hard job fitting anothing else in with a double bed, this is true. The rooms are small, be ready for that. There is a rather steep staircase but this is COMMON in Amsterdam and you should be travelling light anyway in my humble opinion, backed up with experience. The staff were reasonably polite, no issues there. Now, it WILL take you ten to fifteen mins walking to get up to the Dam Square area, so remember you'll be doing that at least twice if not six time a day, taxis soon add up. On the plus side, it is quiet and you can get some sleep when you do stay in. Book a taxi to Central Station for when you leave though, you dont want to be lugging your stuff that far in a rush to go home! To sum up, small rooms, very out of the way, cheap, clean.

Phil Blunt, Oxon UK

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2006

Beware of the Manager.

We had booked a double room the night before we arrived and were told by the guy in reception that we had no booking upon our arrival. We then booked into another Hotel around the corner who were only too happy to have us. I returned to the Sphinx to double check that I was not going to be debited the $65 Euros only to be treated like something the manager had found on his shoe. I had returned in good faith and left with a very bitter taste about the lack of fair play and friendliness shown by the 'Manager'

I would not advise anyone thinking of making a booking to arrive early at this place as the manager aparently lets his cleaning staff behind the check-in desk and lets them act as if they have an idea about how to take and deal with a booking.

Give it a miss ... there's plenty better, cheaper and a whole world more friendly than this place.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends