“Not one of the best run Ibis hotels.”

Ibis Amsterdam City West
Ranked #132 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Not one of the best run Ibis hotels.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

The company I work for does lots of business in the area. Decided to stay here as I actually like Ibis hotels a lot.
Arrived in Amsterdam at midday on Sunday. Called the hotel to see if any rooms were available for an early check-in. Was told that there were so got on bus for long journey to hotel. When we got there we were told that no rooms were available. Happily they looked after our luggage but over an hour of the day was lost travelling there and back.

Re-arrived at 6pm and finally checked in. Was told that breakfast would be served tomorrow until midday. In the morning we went for breakfast at 10:45 and NO BREAKFAST. It was finished at 10:30. Admittedly this staff member must have got it wrong and people make mistakes but it compounds the other issues too.

Also "Do Not Disturb" must mean "vacuum and bang on the walls next door" and also "Talk loudly outside the door with that sign to other members of staff" too. This was before I'd even spoken to the reception team about the problems.

A shame as we work with the company next door and 2 more that are a short walk away. We'll be selecting a better hotel for our engineers and managers.

1 Thank RZBoots
ibiscitywest, General Manager at Ibis Amsterdam City West, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear guest,

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with our service. As you can see by reading our reviews, the service that you received is not in line with our normal service level. I have introduced measures to ensure this does not happen again.

I hope you would like to give us a second change so that you can experience our normal high quality service.

Best Regards,

Martijn van der Graaf

Martijn van der Graaf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A nice quiet hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. Day or 3-7 days passes are sold by reception. The bus into Amsterdam Centre is across the street and fairly frequent. Isolatorweg Metro station is a 10 minute walk. In addition it is a 15 minute walk to Sloterdijk Railway station for access to the airport. Limited food nearby, except in the hotel. Burger King is not open in the morning. Since the day passes are so cheap, it can save money by staying here rather than Ibis more central.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travellerofold
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at the Ibis Amsterdam City West for 3 nights with 2 other individuals. We had 2 rooms on the third floor. The staff was very helpful in terms of directions and bus passes to the city center (about a 15 min bus ride) as well as arranging my taxi to the airport for an early morning flight out of Amsterdam. We did not try the hotel breakfast as we headed into the city center each morning. Rooms were a decent size with a clean bathroom and large shower. The beds were very comfortable. We did not have any problems with noise. I enjoyed my stay but next time I would like to be a little closer to the city center. It was not hard to catch the bus at all as the stop is right outside the hotel. We bought a 2 day bus pass for about 22 euro. I would recommend this hotel if you're up to the 15 min travel time to the city center, as it was a good value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a pretty standard Ibis - a bit on the older side but still quite decent. The staff gave me exactly the type of room requested - top floor, quiet - and were generally very helpful. The hotel is well outside of the tourist district, but still easily accessible by bus, which I found just to my liking. It is a bit pricy for an Ibis, and the breakfast at 16 euros is robbery but I guess that's just Amsterdam.

I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel M
San Clem
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I found the staff to be very nice and helpful whenever we needed something. Was able to buy bus passes from the front desk which made things very convenient. Bus stop was up the street and across to get to Central Station and the City. At first I thought we were really far from everything, but after our first day in the City I did not mind being away from all that. Its pretty quiet and business like around the property. I actually liked it that way. The bus ride was not far at all and the bus came about every 15 minutes. We were never nervous about walking from the bus stop, which was not far back to the hotel at night. Seemed like a very nice area.
My sister in law and I were sitting outside at one of the tables and eating something from Burger King next door. An employee from the desk came out and told us we could not sit there and eat from Burger King. He never asked us if we were even guests of the hotel which he should have. Instead he made a fool out of himself and embarrassed us in front of others. We told him we are guests of this hotel and not just sitting in front of the hotel eating. He said, "Oh, I'm sorry" and left. Hey, asked questions before you accused someone of something. We thought that was very rude and that he needs to learn how to talk to people.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan V
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you don't mind 15 minutes Bus ride to get into Amsterdam Central, then this is a good choice for you. Beautiful green and quite surrounding. The Hotel is well equipped with snacks, breakfast, colas etc. Not a great choice of food outside, you have only Burger King around.

This was the best value hotel I found when I was searching on Hotels.com for my family vacation. Good rooms, excellent support staff and god security. The bus stop is across the service road, where you have connectivity to Amsterdam Central for every 15 min.

Room Tip: Ask for Bus timetable at the reception. Also if you need 2 adjacent rooms, request the staff, they w...