“We have loved our stay in Amsterdam, and have been extremely pleased with the Synopsis Hotel.”
Review of Hotel Synopsis

Hotel Synopsis
Ranked #155 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Thanks to another traveler who mentioned this hotel, we decided to give it a try. We have been more than satisfied. It is extre,e;y clean, tastefully decorated, located on a canal, very unique, and there are bus lines nearby to take you anywhere you want to go. Elisabeth,who runs the hotel, gave us a map, and each day we consulted her on how to best get where we were going. She was right on each time. There are only 3 rooms here, and so it is really more like a B&B, except that if you want breakfast, you pay for it. But it is so cozy and special, believe me, we totally enjoyed it. It is also quiet, and almost seems like we are among the locals. It is not in the center of town, in all of the hustle and bustle, but it is only a 10 minute walk away. Also, we have a computer with internet in our room. In fact, I am using it to write this! We are just loving Amsterdam!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karn2

Reviewed 7 May 2009

I've kept this review purely focused on the hotel. If you want more general information about Amsterdam and it's surroundings I highly recommend the 'The Rough Guide'.

The Synopsis does not meet the description of an 'hotel' in the normal sense. It would be better described as an upmarket guesthouse, as it lacks all the usual facilities one might expect in a hotel. E.G., There is no bar, restaurant or public lounge area. Bliss !

The Synopsis has to be one of the most comfortable, homely and welcoming places I've ever stayed in. Elizabeth de Witte, the owner/proprietor has created a lovely little establishment that makes you feel right at home the minute you walk in the door.
The 3 rooms are located in an old canalside building. The adjacent street is only for the use of residents and the occasional delivery vehicle, so there is no passing traffic to disturb you even if you are in the room facing the street (the other two are to the rear overlooking the garden).

All the rooms are equipped with a mini kitchen area where you can make tea/coffee/soup etc. Everything you need is include in the room rate and replenished daily, including still and fizzy water and sweets.
The fridge is also well stocked with fruit juices, a good selection of alcohol and mixers. You pay extra for these of course in the normal way.

As for the rooms, well what can I say ? They are spacious, beautifully decorated and well equipped with wireless internet (free), fans, safety deposit boxes and the comfiest king size beds in Amsterdam.
Bathrooms are equally impressive with hair drier, bath robes, slippers and toiletries supplied.

Cleanliness ? I get the impression that any speck of dirt would have to be VERY well hidden to escape the attention of the doughty Elizabeth.
The whole place is absolutely spotless.

Breakfast (an extra 12 euros, and good value in my opinion) consists of a choice of various savoury and sweet breads, cream cheeses, 4 different preserves, boiled eggs and coffee. You can add to this just about anything you like (at extra cost) from a long list, including omelettes, scrambled eggs, cold meats, cheeses and so on, but be warned, you had better be hungry ! Breakfast can be served in your room, the kitchen or out in the lovely garden if the weather is kind.

Your host, Elizabeth, is a mine of information about her city. I get the impression that anything she doesn't know isn't worth knowing, so feel free to ask her about the best reataurants to visit and so on.

I should perhaps explain why I have given the Synopsis a 5/5 for location. As said above, the hotel is in a quiet area well away from the 'hot spots' which suited us perfectly, although I realise that may not suit everone.
An easy 15 minute stroll will, however, take you to a good selection of cafes and restaurants. You are also fairly close to tram and metro links which will take you anywhere across the city.

If you want big hotel facilities bang in the middle of things, then you may want to look elsewhere. If, however, you want a comfortable well run little 'home from home' in Amsterdam then look no further.
Book early and enjoy !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teds91
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Honestly I chose this hotel after reading some TripAdvisor reviews, and the actual experience has been even better than what I was expecting at first.
I will not add many details because a lot has been written already.
I have traveled quite a lot for business, as well as for leisure, and I'd say I'm pretty fussy about hotels, especially about the price/value ratio. I've happily slept in cheap hotels that were correctly inexpensive, and I've experienced a great Four Seasons resort at Hawaii which was as good as it was, correctly, expensive.
This hotel gives you more value than what you're going to spend, no matter how you look at it, as long as you're not looking for anything that's not strictly related to a hotel. There is no spa, no swimming pool, no restaurant, and generally there's not much "common" space.
It is basically a bed&breakfast with no breakfast, because you have to pay extra for the breakfast, but the whole point is the quality of the room, the hotel position, and the hotel manager.
I was in the room with the external patio, which is great for smokers like me and my wife, as it provides a "smoking area" without choosing a smoking room which is often smelly in most hotels.
The room is perfect, with everything you'd expect and even more, it is basically a small flat with a spacious bathroom, a "kitchen" area and even an actual PC which uses the available free Wi-Fi connection (so that you can use the Internet also with your own devices). Even though, as I wrote above, you have to pay also for a basic breakfast (but you can get some more interesting breakfast paying a little more), you can have your breakfast in your room for no extra cost, so it really feels like your home in Amsterdam, as some other reviewer has written.
The position is great, central, and we walked everywhere, from the Museums area (pretty close) to the train station (about 25 mins walk), with no need for taxis or even bicycles. In terms of well known spots, it's really close to Rembrandtplein.
Finally, the hotel manager is lovely, Elisabeth is really friendly and willing to help you make the most out of your stay.
I bet it will be difficult to find another place matching the good surprise I've experienced at the Synopsis, probably the closest one so far is one in French Polynesia, but there it's a lot easier to be "magic" than in Amsterdam... ;-)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at Synopsis for a weekend in January. The rooms have everything you could possibly need. There is a small kitchen area that closes to look like a closet - the fridge is stocked with snacks and drinks (some are free some you must pay for - very reasonable prices). There is a computer with free internet access. There are bathrobes and slippers and a really nice tub which I took full advantage of.

The bed was extremely comfortable - I didn't want to get out in the morning and slept really well each night.

Elizabeth is a classy host that truly cares for her guests. We really enjoyed our morning breakfasts with her.

If you take a taxi make sure they use the directions Elizabeth emails to you. We got dropped off a couple blocks from the hotel but were able to find it after asking for directions (the Dutch are SO friendly).

Outside there is a very lovely garden and patio area - although it was too cold for us to enjoy I could imagine sitting out there in the summer enjoying a glass of wine before dinner.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Large room, large marble bathroom, private garden, and many small touches make this hotel an unusually well priced luxury.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 25 September 2007

We stayed at the Synopsis Hotel in Amsterdam in September 2007 with 2 more friends. All I can say is what a find! The hotel only has 3 rooms and we only booked it as we were struggling to find vacancies in Amsterdam for the days we were there. So glad we found this one and will definately stop there again.
The rooms are beautiful, very clean and modern with all the touchs you would expact from a 5 star hotel. We had the ground floor garden room, which we would recommend.
In a nice quiet spot but not too far from the centre of everthing. We took the Metro to Waterlooplein from Central Station and it was an easy walk from there to the hotel.
Elizabeth, who runs the hotel, could not do enough for you. Breakfast was lovely, in Elizabeths kitchen over looking the garden.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank Member8
Reviewed 1 July 2007

We stayed for 3 nights mid June this year after trawling the internet
for hours to find a suitable hotel. We arrived a little early for check-in, though were still welcomed by Elizabeth and given a map of Amsterdam with pointers as to where attractions/ restaurants etc were. Our room was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL- as nice as the pics on her website. We were provised with all toiletries needed, even moisturiser! Room was cleaned daily, with complimentary water, chocolates provided! We didnt have breakfast included, but were told we were free to use the back garden to sit & enjoy the views ( was a hidden oasis, beautiful!) We loved our holiday, which was made very special by the Synopsis Hotel and the special attention to detail at all times, topped off by our inclusive canal boat trip. Thankyou for everything Elizabeth!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple