“Good location but not so good room”

Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #123 of 328 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Good location but not so good room”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed in Feb 14 in the lower room.

What I like about the B&B:
1) the location of the B&B is very central and convenient (5 - 7 min walk from Amsterdam Central Station, walking distance to RDL, Damrak, etc.). There are restaurants, pizzeria, mini-marts in near the B&B, so finding food isn't an issue.
2) there is a self service kitchen which is open for 24 hrs. You can make your own breakfast and meals.
3) Cess is helpful with the itinerary and recommendations for food in Amsterdam.

What I don't like about the B&B:
1) The heater will sound when I switch on the bathroom light, and it will ring for about 5 min or so.
2) This room has low ceiling. I personally prefer room with high ceiling.
3) We didn't see mouse in the room but my husband saw a mouse on his way up to the kitchen.
4) We find the room dusty, despite the fact that we never open the windows. We can see the dust on the side tables and side lamps.
5) The shower head needs some cleaning / to be changed.

This B&B is located at where the some of action is, so do be prepared to see sex shop opposite, coffee shop, mushroom shops around the corner. Though the windows are double layer, sometimes the crowd below can be a little bit too enthusiastic on a Friday night. Just to note that our "double" bed is made up of 2 single beds.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank msiainsg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed there in November 2013 and co workers will be staying there in March 2014. The place is extremely clean. The stairway was very Dutch and steep. The kitchen was great to make your own meals. there was even a washer and dryer in the kitchen, I am not sure whether they let the guests use it.
I stayed in the lower bedroom. It was big and very cute. Great internet speed and a desk where I could work. I would like to make it clear, there were No mice in my room! The room, sheets, towels, floor were all spotless. The showers had great water pressure.
They have good rates for Amsterdam and it's great if you want to experience something different than a Hampton INN.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I really don't undertsand all the good reviews, I've stayed in lots of places in Amsterdam, this is the worst hands down. I wrote a complaint when I got home, to date I have not had a reply. For 555 euros for 3 nights, you would expect much more!! This is the complaint E-mail I sent:

Hi There,

We're just back from our 3 night break in your Old Bridge Apartment and I'm afraid it was not very pleasant, infact, it was terrible!! The only reason I never contacted you over the weekend, was because it was my sisters 40th birthday we were away for, and she didn't want any fuss.

When we first arrived, it appeared OK, but certainly didn't smell very fresh, but as the weekend went on, the levels of neglect became more apparent. It definitely requires a lick of paint, that much is clear, but it also needs a deep clean. My sister and I both used the shower the night we arrived, the toilet itself was clean, the grouting on the tiles is grubby and the floor hadn't been cleaned properly as there was hair left by previous dwellers. My brother-in-law then showed us the shower head (which we have taken pictures of), we both wished we hadn't used the shower, the shower head is disgusting, we never used the shower the rest of the weekend, it made us feel sick!!

We went to the shops to buy some food for breakfast etc and got some half baked baguettes (which we left behind) thinking we could bake them in the oven. The oven was also disgusting, the smell when you opened it made you gagg (we took a photo of this)!! Also the sofa in the livingroom was smelly, we were reluctant to even sit on it, it wouldn't have been hard to put a clean fresh cover on it for new guests, it was stained and had a mouse dropping on it (also took a photo of this). The black chair in the livingroom also had white stains all over it, I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess as to what they were. the carpet in the livingroom was also really dirty and stained. I was soooo disappointed that I had booked this for my sisters 40th and quite upset, but that wasn't the worst.......

As there was 4 of us (which we also paid a suppliment for), we had to drag the 2 bunk bed mattresses through from the bedroom to sleep in the living area, the first night we caught sight of our first mouse, or 3, they were running all round the perimeter of the room, then back to their hole at the side of the kitchen units, while looking under furniture for the mice, there were dirty tissues under the small bookshelf and mouse droppings, also under the TV unit. I did not want to sleep in the place at all, but had to grin and bear it for my sister. For the 3 nights, during the night, the mice were running back and forth, in our bags and squeaking all night, this ontop of the uncomfortable foam mattresses on the dirty floor, with a view of what's lurking beneath the units, made for a terrible nights sleep, and we couldn't stop scratching.

On the last day my sister showed me the views from the 2 bedroom windows, this made me realise where the mice came from, and I'm suprised there were no rats to be honest.

For the price we paid, the fact we never even had a bed each, and had to live in such a filthy place, I think it's a joke, and not a funny one. I stayed in your loft apartment a couple of years ago, and while it maybe needed upgraded, it was at least cleaner. I visit Amsterdam at least once a year and this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed (in or out of the Netherlands), and will never book again. The only good things about the apartment was it's central location, other than that, nothing.

We should get some of our money refunded, for one thing we never had full use of the advertised amentities i.e. the shower, oven, beds, and also because the place was so dirty. I have never wrote a bad review for anywhere I've stayed, only good reviews, but if we don't get any satisfaction, there will be 4 bad reviews going into any review website we can find you on.

I await your reply

Nearly 4 weeks later and still no reply

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynn A
lettydesign
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here in 2012 in the loft room,which was fantastic,we have just booked to stay again in April of this year. We love this B&B as it is clean,fresh,beautiful rooms,excellent choice on breakfast. This B&B is a little gem right on the doorstep of Amsterdam's most finest attractions. We are trying out the lower room this time,as husband struggles on the stairs but we cant wait,as we know it will be just as nice,if not nicer than the loft room!

Room Tip: Loft room is wonderful, it has a big double window that can be opened,so that you can hear the churc...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seksylexy
Seattle
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is a real B&B. It is in a fantastic location. A short walk from the station so you can get off a train, walk 5 minutes and you're there. The house has two rooms to stay in. I only saw one of them which is the one I stayed in. The room was great for winter. It was warm, clean, pleasant and quite large. I was on my own but the room has two single beds next to each other. It also had a fridge, lots of closet space and a decent size proper bathroom with shower, basin, toilet, not one of these sort of cubicles in the main room as you see in some places. Plumbing and water pressure and temperature were very good. Big windows that face the narrow street outside. Upstairs there is a full kitchen, well stocked and very neat and clean. It's also open all day and night for coffee or whatever. There were ample ingredients for a full breakfast, cooked or not. The internet (WiFi) connection in the room was very good. There is a computer in a corner of the kitchen in case you arrive device-less and need to get on line.
Cees was helpful, friendly, available but not at all intrusive. He keeps his B&B spotless and has obviously put a lot of thought and care into making it a great place to stay.
A warning though. If you are not very mobile, the stairs can be a challenge. They are very steep.
Another warning. You are right in the thick of it in Amsterdam at this B&B. If you are looking for a quiet, out of the way spot to get away from it all, this is not for you!
With those two caveats I would say that for the price the Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: There are only two to choose from. If you don't like stairs, choose the lower one. I didn't...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank davidcp10
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Very, very old building, cleverly renovated. What was the fourth story now provides more height to the two guest rooms. So clean! Obviously loved. The host, Camillo, greeted us warmly, carried our bags up the steep stairs and helpfully arranged tickets to museums.
We slept well thanks to the effective sound insulation, and then the big surprise -- breakfast. Fresh, warm bread, cold cuts, cheeses and an olive boat with a variety of fruit pieces, and coffee, hot with hot frothy milk. Camillo and Joost are maintaining their record of Trip Advisor awards, not resting on their laurels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David L
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed in the loft room during queens day celebrations so Amsterdam was pretty crazy. Cees was an awesome host, helped with our bags up those insane stairs and shared some great tips with us. The location is so good, right in the heart of the fun part of Amsterdam but the room was quite and relaxing still. The breakfast room is so cute. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. Have stayed in many different places in the city and this was the best so far.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple