“my favourite place”

Ranked #298 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
bolton
“my favourite place”
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We loved our room overlooking the canal. Double bed and walk in wet room ensuite. Cheap and clean. Staff were very friendly, especially the Aussie lady behind the bar. Breakfast was good and location couldn't be better. Adam and Nadine say Yes!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
East Germany
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Yes, this hotel has small rooms, some of them don't even have an en-suite toilet and shower - but the is the best location in Amsterdam, 5 minutes walk to Centraal and 2 minutes to reach the Red Light District. I have been staying in this hotel for the last 9 years on a regular prices, and it will always be my choise #1. I've made friends in the bar, they have a fantastic cat living there and live music one or two nights every week. Also there is a fantastic coffee shop right next door. To those expecting anything above B and B service - stay away from this place. This would leave me with more choice :P

• Liked — Location, Apfelkorn, the cat
  • Disliked — too many snotty tourists badmouthing my favorite hotel!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 11 September 2008

I made a booking at hotel on Friday night 5th Sept, and the week before I emailed the hotel the time that I would be arriving. When I arrived at the hotel at the time stated, I was told that my room had been given to someone else. I tried to explain to the woman behind the bar that I had emailed saying we would not be arriving until late on Friday night, but she was rude and not willing to listen.

Eventually I was given a room which did not have a private bathroom, but was charged the same as the amount quoted for a triple room with ensuite. It does not make sense to me that a room offering less amenities should cost the same as a superior room. When I asked for a discount given that the room booked had a bathroom, I was told 'if I don't like it, leave'. This was a poor way to deal with the situation as all I was hoping for was a slight discount.

On top of this the room was cramped, with poor bedding, and the pictures on the booking website are not views from the hotel, but instead from 150m down the road.

I have sinced emailed the hotel manager about my experience and have not received a reply.

• Disliked — Rude service, rip off room rates, deceptive photos on website
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Wales
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I have just got back from a weekend statying at the Hotel Old Quarter in Amsterdam. We were a bit weary bcoz we booked on a budget and not sure how a 2star would be. It was in the perfect location, our room was clean and tidy and enough space for the three of us. Will def be going back to Amsterdam and this hotel.

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Porthmadog, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The location of the hotel was fantastic, although we did have a little trouble finding it...a local tramp guided us there in the end :S

We were quite shocked at the size of the bedroom. We had booked a twin room, thinking we could push the beds together. But when we walked in, there were two NARROW single beds top to toe with each other against the wall, and barely enough room for my boyfriend and I to pass the beds. We ended up folding up the beds and putting the matrasses on the floor so that we could sleep together.

We opted out of the ensuite option, and found the toilet and shower to be rather dirty.

Breakfast was a con, and we only ate at the hotel once.

Staff were ok, and we were glad to be able to leave our room keys at reception, and for a 'sort-of' 24 hour reception. After-hours it seemed to be a cleaner or someone who was handing out guests' keys.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — size of rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We paid 82.50 Euro a day for a twin bed room with ensuite and breakfast included. The location was great, right in the Red Light district ( yes it is safe) and close to the Railway station. The room was very small but we were expecting that this is Amsterdam after all. The linen was clean, and so was the ensuite. The bathroom did have a funny odour but as we were on a canal that was to be expected too. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast included in the price was quite filling and enjoyable.

• Liked — proximity to transport and night life
  • Disliked — the access stairs
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank digbybear
Bruges
Reviewed 5 July 2008

I'll give them the fact that it seemed clean....but holy crap I couldn't believe how small the room was. My sister and I basically stayed in a room the size of a closet. Our twin beds were end to end and there wasn't even 40 cm beside. The washrooms were pretty smelly and the stairs could possibly give you nose bleeds. You could probably find something cheaper and bigger farther from the tourist trap of the red light district....I'm talking it's only one street away. What we didn't realize is that everything is close being 'right in the heart of it all' isn't necessary. REALLY! So yes, it's clean and if you're looking to be one street from the red light district stay here.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends