“Good place!”
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

Hotel Old Quarter
Ranked #295 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Super location (and very calm sleep at night), very nice and helpful staff, great restaurant and food. We took a long time to choose the hotel and we we rather willing to go for 3 stars as a minimum, but this one had an especially good rating and was also our preference because the price did include both the city tax and the breakfast (which is often not the case for many other similar hotels). Car parking service and especially their own restaurant where you can come down any time until 23.00 to eat was extremely convenient!! food excellent, large meals and prices really ok!
we booked 2 rooms, one luxury double and the other quadruple, beds in the first room were much better.
The only thing we have missed in the rooms were tea-coffee making facilities (but maybe it is normal with two stars?) and the light in the rooms could be stronger (very poor now in the evening). otherwise, shower, tv, wireless internet (in 'luxury' room) no problem.
booking online with easytobook.com was very easy and convenient, and suprisingly cheaper than booking directly on the hotel's website!
overall: a really very good price and quality combination.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 December 2008

This hotel defo does not do what it says on the tin.The rooms are a joke in size.We booked a twin room that could only be compared to a glorified coffin.cheap i know but it seems to be the only lasting impression i got from it.We switched to a luxary double for the last night as a treat.luxary rooom my arse.It was double the size of the twin with a bathroom with a decent view. wow an extra 40 quid a night for a view and not to share a toilet.
I struggle to find any plus bar that there was loads of coffee shops right on our doorsteps to num the pain of the place we were staying.i know people will say u get what you pay for.That is true to a certain extinct. i read all the reviews b4 i went and thought some of these people are totally overreacting.How wrong i was.I must say the free breakfast is actually alright though i am clutching straws now.the hotel also has the most stoned cat in the dam.anyways i would not recomend this hotel unless you plan on never been there.i have been to amsterdam 9 times and the nh doleen i thought was the best for value@comfort.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We loved our room overlooking the canal. Double bed and walk in wet room ensuite. Cheap and clean. Staff were very friendly, especially the Aussie lady behind the bar. Breakfast was good and location couldn't be better. Adam and Nadine say Yes!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Yes, this hotel has small rooms, some of them don't even have an en-suite toilet and shower - but the is the best location in Amsterdam, 5 minutes walk to Centraal and 2 minutes to reach the Red Light District. I have been staying in this hotel for the last 9 years on a regular prices, and it will always be my choise #1. I've made friends in the bar, they have a fantastic cat living there and live music one or two nights every week. Also there is a fantastic coffee shop right next door. To those expecting anything above B and B service - stay away from this place. This would leave me with more choice :P

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2008

I made a booking at hotel on Friday night 5th Sept, and the week before I emailed the hotel the time that I would be arriving. When I arrived at the hotel at the time stated, I was told that my room had been given to someone else. I tried to explain to the woman behind the bar that I had emailed saying we would not be arriving until late on Friday night, but she was rude and not willing to listen.

Eventually I was given a room which did not have a private bathroom, but was charged the same as the amount quoted for a triple room with ensuite. It does not make sense to me that a room offering less amenities should cost the same as a superior room. When I asked for a discount given that the room booked had a bathroom, I was told 'if I don't like it, leave'. This was a poor way to deal with the situation as all I was hoping for was a slight discount.

On top of this the room was cramped, with poor bedding, and the pictures on the booking website are not views from the hotel, but instead from 150m down the road.

I have sinced emailed the hotel manager about my experience and have not received a reply.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I have just got back from a weekend statying at the Hotel Old Quarter in Amsterdam. We were a bit weary bcoz we booked on a budget and not sure how a 2star would be. It was in the perfect location, our room was clean and tidy and enough space for the three of us. Will def be going back to Amsterdam and this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The location of the hotel was fantastic, although we did have a little trouble finding it...a local tramp guided us there in the end :S

We were quite shocked at the size of the bedroom. We had booked a twin room, thinking we could push the beds together. But when we walked in, there were two NARROW single beds top to toe with each other against the wall, and barely enough room for my boyfriend and I to pass the beds. We ended up folding up the beds and putting the matrasses on the floor so that we could sleep together.

We opted out of the ensuite option, and found the toilet and shower to be rather dirty.

Breakfast was a con, and we only ate at the hotel once.

Staff were ok, and we were glad to be able to leave our room keys at reception, and for a 'sort-of' 24 hour reception. After-hours it seemed to be a cleaner or someone who was handing out guests' keys.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple