“Great location, Great price.”
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

Hotel Old Quarter
Ranked #295 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Stayed in the old quater hotel for three nights, my friend and i had a sigle room with 2 single beds, had clean towels every morning, iam old enough to make my own bed so there was no need for being waited on hand and foot, room was clean with an excellant view of the canal, bathroom and toilet was spotless. Staff were friendly and polite, food was excellant and from the first nights meal i decided to eat all my meals at the hotel, beer was dear but very enjoyable(way to much grolsh on one evening), was privalaged to see and hear the jazz night on monday night (very good). Would i stay again? YES, a two star hotel with a 5 star attitude well done to all involved with The Old Quater Hotel

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 January 2010

All looked good, on the internet, cosy old Inn, warm welcoming attitude displayed via email, BUT. On arrival the first action was to charge the card for the full stay without showing the rooms, and on inspection the rroms are dire. Cold, uninviting, peculiar aromas wafting through the venue and the state of decor and bathroom cleanliness is highly questionable. After 30 minutes we decided to leave, just being in the room made you feel dirty. Asked for a refund, but refused - quite willing to pay for the first night, but just didn't feel safe. Local tourist info centre wasn't surprised at our findings and booked us into a 5* just around the corner for an extra 24Euro per night. Now in dispute for the 2nd night charge and have instructed AMEX to contest the payment.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frequentflyer110
Reviewed 9 December 2009

My girlfriend and I visited Amsterdam over the Halloween period with a small group of friends - all of us stayed in the Old Quarter Hotel. The first thing to strike me was how close it was to Central Train Station, it was literally a few minutes walk away - the location of the hotel couldn't be better, it is very central to everything - only a stone throw away from the Red Light, and there are a massive selection of bars, coffee shops and places to eat from the minute you step out the front door.

The staff where incredibly friendly and always chatting away to us, they were so laid back and helpful. The hotel was very clean and the toilets and showers where cleaned regularly.

The food was fantastic, there was a great choice of British food available and I was delighted to find cheese & ham omlettes and club sandwiches on the menu - we tried several different meals during the course of our stay and all of them where top class, and very reasonably priced.

There was entertainment on the Saturday night in the hotel bar in the form of a rock band, which we were told play their regularly - the atmosphere was great and the entertainment lasted long into the night.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone - we had no problems during our stay and it is in the perfect location for those wishing to explore the city, not to mention the extremely low prices.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Just got back from 3 nights at the old quarter and have to say our stay was fine,after reading some of the reviews we were slightly worried but even though the rooms where cozy we had a good time,the staff always had a smile on there faces,breakfast was fine,and rooms were a bargain,we paid 370 for a four bed room for three nights.Its a good hotel for young travellers and a bargain if you book early,stairs are steep but most buildings in amsterdam are like that so i cant understand the compliants about them.If your looking for a crash pad in that area of town your will be ok at the old quarter.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 18 November 2009

the roooms in this hotel were suitable for our purpose ( somwere to sleep & get ready ) if you want better pay for better !!! the staff at the hotel are really friendly, helpfull and speak all languages. we ate at the hotel most of the stay as we found other places pricey and not as nice ( you get 10% off the menu price) ,
must warn i took a case that was 21 kilo's which was hilarious getting up & down the stairs of this hotel as like most in amsterdam they are steep and winding .

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I have stayed in Amsterdam many times, but it was the first time for my partner, so I wanted to book a hotel that was right in the middle of things, and this is it! The location is perfect, just a five minute walk from Centraal Station, and our room had a view of the Damrak.

The hotel is basic but very clean, and the staff really helpful and friendly. Breakfast is adequate. I would recommend that couples book the luxury double room as you get an ensuite bathroom.

The bar/restaurant is nice, the food cooked well and reasonably priced. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I have worked in Amsterdam for many years and always stayed at this hotel until they developed a bug problem last year. It never was the greatest hotel in the world but I am not fussy, the location was good and it was relatively cheap. Im not sure whats happened but I believe the bugs are coming up the sink and bathroom pipes and infested the rooms. I got eaten alive one night there and gave them another chance. When I went back a month later the same thing happened again.

This time I got up, had a shower and left. I was able to see little black bugs and tiny green flie type insects. I knew that in the gap between me first getting eaten and the second time (which was a different room) there had to be HUNDREDS of people who suffered the same horrible experience.

I to had to see the Doc and get anti biotics to rid the horrendous itching and lumps that were all over my body and face, not so good when you have to present yourself at work. Anyway, my advice is look elsewhere unless you want to stay awake all night sleeping in your clothes or walking out all scratchy to find another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business