“Perfect Location”
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

Hotel Old Quarter
Ranked #295 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 May 2007

Stayed at the old quarter for 3 nights and found it to be perfect.

Great location for a hotel, right on the warmoestraat which is full of pubs, eateries etc.

Stayed in a twin room which was a bit small but done the trick if you are just looking for somewhere to get your head down. Who the hell wants to stay in a hotel room all day when you are in amsterdam?

Decent breakfast in the morning which is included in the price and the bar is ok for a drink also.

Gonna go back to amsterdam for the new year and maybe consider staying here again.

1  Thank jobbie

Reviewed 25 November 2006

I have just been reading the revues on the old quarter and was shocked to see so much negativity towards this fine establishment. The ones whom seem to moan about the old quarter, are the ones who never did there homework before they chose to stay there. They should look before they leap, and not blame others for there own mistakes. I have stayed there on two occasions, and both were truly wonderful and memorable experiences. The rooms are small, basic and very well kept, and yes the front of the hotel is on a noisy street were thousands of tourists are actually trying to enjoy themselves, unlike some of the visitors who chose to stay here it would seem? The management and staff have always been brilliant with us in the past, and should they take the time to get to know them instead of moaning at them, then maybe they would have got a better service. The food and drinks are reasonably priced and of good quality considering where you are that is. A good place for a drink is Dirty Nelly's irish bar with a top pint of guiness, or for a smoke then go no furher than the Old Church coffee shop, as both are highly recommended! So then, if your a small group or a couple on a budget say, then this is right up your waarmasstrat street. Should you however fancy a more upmarket place, then the Hotel Estheria is more expensive, but plush lovelyness it is, and only an extra 10 minute walk from the red light district too! Open your eyes, know what to expect and you shall have a fantastic stay at the old quarter for sure. 10/10. N-joy!

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled with friends
6  Thank Lenster
Reviewed 4 November 2006

I was very impressed with this hotel,with this being my first time to Amsterdam, very friendly staff,lovely rooms, beds are very comfy. The food is variable & enjoyable. The location of this hotel is great as its right in the heart of Amsterdam. Prices for this hotel are very reasonable I will definately be back & staying in the Old Quarter.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glasgowtravel
Reviewed 24 September 2006

These guys don't have pictures of their rooms on the website. If they did they would probably have trouble filling them.

Yes, the room was so small we could not open a suitcase inside. Quite shabby really, worn, musty carperts. Thin wooden doors, hear everyone noise from the corridors. Luckily we got one of the rooms not facing the street, which is very busy especially at night.

It reminded me of time spent in the military, thin, worn beds which could have been army issue - in Vietnam.
The even smaller bathroom only had room for one person at the time. I could sit on the toilet while showering, if you find this practical.

Staff are indifferent at best, only time they really paid attention was upon arrival when the wanted payment upfront.

I suppose this could work out for stag trips and people just coming over to party all day and night. For me this was horrid.
The funny thing is the next time we went to Amsterdam, we got the Marriott on Priceline for the same price (100 euros) A world of difference.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank view2
Reviewed 11 September 2006

We stayed here for a long weekend, just a quick, cheap get away and if thats all your looking for then it should be ok.

It was situated right in town close to everything and that was a real bonus and meant we could come and go as we pleased.

The room was very small but had two beds and a small toilet - again we only wanted to sleep here so for us it was fine but if you want to spend any time in the room it wasn't ideal.

The breakfast was ok - basic but tasted ok and you could get toast as well if you asked.

The only real downside was that the room wasn't cleaned before we arrived in fact it still had broken bits of a plastic glass on the floor and it looked like the bedding hadn't been changed! For this reason I probably wouldn't stay here again but for the money 200euros for 2nights it wasn't too bad and if you want cheap and cheerful then maybe it's for you.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank JoJoDenmark
Reviewed 7 July 2006

We booked a 'luxury double room with canal view' for 100 euros a night. Having been to Amsterdam previously I took the word luxury with a pinch of salt and wasn't disappointed. It was an average to mediocre room, but it was a double with a canal view. I'd certainly not want to be at the front of this hotel with the noise of the street, so that made the extra cost worth the price. The windows hardly opened though, they just tilted inwards slightly and in hot, stuffy conditions we were sweating buckets constantly. I'd not go to Amsterdam in the summer again, unless it was to a genuine quality hotel with a/c (we did not have this despite the claim of a 'luxury' room).

The bathroom was also average, the shower and toilet were combined instead of it being a separate cubicle so the shower water just went down through a hole in the floor. If it wasn't so hot the bathroom floor would have been constantly wet from the previous day's shower I suspect, especially in winter.

Breakfast was 'included' but only if you wanted the 'bacon and eggs' (I don't touch eggs), which turned out to be an omelette. The 'full English' was 4.50 euros and orange juice another 2.25. Payment was expected immediately prior to leaving the table too, (as was the cost of the room immediately upon arrival at the hotel).

Service was perfunctory, you do not feel like valued guests and I can't imagine they'd go out of their way to help if you had a problem.

Pluses - the hotel does have a lift, which is unusual for these prices in Amsterdam, and that does make life much easier. And the room was clean. And it is in the heart of the RLD action and in walking distance to CS.

Overall, in other cities you'd be disappointed with the standard for this price of room , but in Amsterdam it was adequate - just forget any notion of luxury.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Bob's yer Uncle
A TripAdvisor Member
Geilenkirchen, Germany
Reviewed 5 July 2006

What can I say. We were traveling with our sons, the hotel says it's within walking distance to everything, including the redlight district. It does not say that it is IN the red light district with a "coffee house" on one said (you can smell the aroma in the rooms), and a sex shop across from it. During our free breakfast, my son was drinking orange juice, and the glass actually broke around the rim, and unfortunately our son swallowed the glass (he's okay thank goodness!!!!), but the staff was not concerned. When I walked out to our car, I was basically tore down by the bar maid in the reception area because I did not give her my key before I walked out, and when I told her my wife had it, she was still very very nasty. The rooms are about as big as a closet (We had one of the "big triple" rooms), no closet, about a 12" TV with no remote, one step up from a futon for beds, and carpet that was coming up. Not to mention on a hot day, there are no fans or anything. Very VERY noisy at night as well! Do not waste your time or money staying here!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006