“Just returned from a 3 night stay”
Review of Hotel Torenzicht

Hotel Torenzicht
Ranked #247 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Just returned from a 3 night stay”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was travelling with two other people, I have been to Amsterdam 6 times before and have stayed in a variety of Hotels.
I loved the location of Hotel Torenzicht, in the centre of the Red Light Discrict, very close to Dam Square and within walking distance of many tourist attractions as well as Coffeeshops, restaurants and bars.
The 3 gentleman we met that worked at the hotel were very friendly, informative and helpful. I had quite a few discussions with one of the bar staff and found him very pleasant.
You're able to smoke in the bar once the hotel is shut to the public at around 3AM. This is good to know when you wake up at 7AM and don't want to stand in the cold outside having your first morning cigarette.
The room was a good size, yes it could have done with a fresh paint but that's more the previous guests' fault than the hotels. The shared bathroom (large wet room) and toilet was clean, very spacious and more than adequate. The only negative was there was a lack of places to hang worn / clean clothes so it was difficult to get undressed and dressed in there but I took my own towel and wandered the corridors in my towel back to my room to get dressed.
Breakfast was what you expect - bread / toast, coffee / tea / fresh juices, jams and spreads, cheeses and cold meats. It's served until 10AM
The bar facilities offer a variety of hot / cold, alcoholic drinks for a reasonable price. Cheaper than sitting in a Coffeeshops.
I recommend visiting the Anne Frank House, it was €9 per adult and worth the experience.
We walked there and took approximately 18 minutes. We also visited Madame Tussaud's and Amsterdam Dungeons for €31 per adult.
Trams aren't necessary but cost €2.80 for an hour travel ticket, €7.40 for a 24 hour ticket and €12 for a 48 hour ticket.
I will definitely stay here again! It's very reasonable, a fair price and pleasant staff. Thank you Hotel Torenzicht for a pleasant stay.
Laura

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank hatti123

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived to a warm welcome at the hotel. Paid our money and this is where all the pleasantries ended. Went to my room which had a stunning view of the strip, looked out the window to reveal that the window didn't close. My bed was directly under the window, and had to sleep fully clothed due to the January wind and rain opening the window constantly through the night. Had to use a shoelace to tie it up. Went to the bar to get a drink, where the ginger rat who hasn't washed or shaved for 5 years behind the bar said he wasn't serving us. When asked why? He replied "because I don't like you". Having breakfast in a freezing cold cellar with the same old dutch smiling faces was minus 26 degrees. If you like ham and toast you'll be fine. If not, you'll have to do like we did, pay 12 euros for a breakfast. All in all Amsterdam is fantastic and most of the locals are ok. I wouldn't call any of them friendly, but tolerable. To cut a long story short, 20 of us paid our hotel fee to a smiley faced manager. Once he had our 1600 euros for our 2 night stay they turned into ignorant pigs. Queueing up for showers and toilets is also another feature worth mentioning, as there is 1 of each (per floor). STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE AND SPEND A LITTLE MORE MONEY! Spliffs were class, otherwise it would've been a miserable trip.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 January 2014

In the past I visit the Hotel many times, now they have a new management and owner, and Peter puts a lot of new effort inside the Hotel wich makes it more nice, I liked that.Now the beds are clean and not full of insects anymore.
Very nice for the good price.
So I was last weekend in Amsterdam and stayed overnight 2 nights , good beers and good staff.

Room Tip: Front with vieuw at the cannals.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Friendly staff, welcoming, Well heated rooms & good hot water.. Continental breakfast was nice.. For price cannot complain! Meets basic requirements

My room (33) over ally way so no view.. Non smoking property

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Southam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Smack bang in the middle of the Red Light District, i was very impressed with this place. They had Welcoming and Friendly Staff, and a 24 Hour Bar. We had a Decent sized Twin Room on the Second Floor which wasn't too much of a killer walking up the stairs to at all. The beddings/pillows were clean and the bed was really comfy, and we ended up putting the beds together which was fine. Our room overlooked an alleyway and we could see some of the ladies in their windows if we peeked, and yes it was a tad noisy at times but that was to be expected and was all part of the experience. My bf was scared of falling out of the window - HA...can't imagine why! The whole place was well kept and clean to be honest, loved the modern touch with the wet room showers - they were amazing! Extra Brownie points awarded for the great Breakfast in the basement - for free you could not grumble...I have a soft spot for the old Continental breakfast...Juices, Coffee/Hot Choc/Latte's + range of teas!! Boiled Eggs, Scrambled Eggs, Range of Breads, Butters, Spreads, Range of Cold Meats and Cheese, Jams, Chocolate Spread, Hazelnut Spread...and SPRINKLES!!! All in all a fabulous 2 day break and will definitely come again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple