“Worst trip ever”
Review of Season Star Hotel

Season Star Hotel
Ranked #374 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 October 2009

We booked 3 rooms for a weekend trip at the Season Star hotel in Amsterdam. First, we saw the impressive website. This was one big reason why we booked this hotel... thinking we can't go wrong with a three star hotel.

Then we arrived. OMG! The staff was stupid and completely incompetent for their job. When we checked in, only some of us got a key card for the rooms. The others had to ask the staff each time they wanted to get in their room. The elevator does definitely not comply with any European standard, so we decided to use the stairs because we are not suicidal. Later we saw the staff use the elevator to transport the garbage.

The first time we entered the room, there was luggage from another hotel guest left in it. The room was not cleaned... there were dirty socks hanging in the open window (see pictures) and the bedding was not washed after the previous guest had left. It was supposed to be white, but actually it was grey and there was hair on it. A second window was so dirty that we could hardly see through it. Also, the wall beside the bed was covered with mildew (see picture) ... risk to health. Most power sockets were unsafe because the lines were wildly hanging around (see picture). The only safe looking socket was not usable because in the right connector was a broken plug.

The "shower" was also full of mildew and in two of the rooms, the toilet was separated to the sleeping room only by a see-through saloon door. We had no soap and only half a roll of toilet paper.

We tried talking to the staff because we wanted at least a discount. The receptionist was not willed to give a discount and also didn't let us talk to the hotel manager.

The breakfast was rationed and disgusting. After first tasting it we decided to take breakfast elsewhere. By the way, the tables where the guests ate were used as a sleeping place by the night concierge.

Long story short: DON'T GO THERE... you could better sleep on a bank in a park.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 October 2009

I don't think I have ever stayed in a worse hotel, it was shocking. I only stayed there because my normal hotel was full and there was nowhere else to stay due to a conference being on.

The room was small, very damp, dirty and generally unpleasant. When I arrived the window was open even though it wasn't a very warm day. I found out why after I closed it as the smell of damp was horrible - I quickly opened the window again!

The curtains didn't pull together, and there was a table in front of the window so the curtains rested on it. One door of the wardrobe didn't open because there was a table in front of it. There were 2 small wooden chairs in the room to sit on and the shower was dirty and broken with the shower curtain old and unclean.

I didn't bother with breakfast which was served in the reception area as I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank HarrowALondon_UK
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This hotel Is brilliantly located and the staff were very helpful, as my boyfriend wasnt feeling well when we arrived and so the woman at the reception let us into our room two hours early. They cleaned the room when they said they were going to, which doesnt always happen in hotels. The room was quite roomy and was not cramped. The only complaint I would have is that the breakfast was not up to much but when I go back on a girls weekend away we will be using this hotel again

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2009

The hotel pictures on website give a distorted image of the hotel.The rooms are relly very small and most of all dirty.The cleaning service is very poor and never change bed linenI stayed 1 week!!).The carpets dirty and all the furnitures...Be aware!I will never come back in this hotel.The only positive was the receptionists assistance:they always ask for excusing...

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2009

very easy to book, good value for 4 of us, two clean twin rooms with adequate and clean bathroom facilities, very friendly service, good breakfast, would definitely recommend and/or book again.
view wasn't much but again didn't go for the view out the window as did our sightseeing in the day.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Me & my partner have just returned from our 24th Amsterdam visit, after 2 nights at the Season Star Hotel. We arrived on Sat 21st Feb at around 9am but was not allowed to book in till 2pm, which was ok as this normal with most hotels. When we got to the Hotel at around 2.15pm we was told that we could leave our bags in the room but could not stop as the room had not been finished by house keeping. This wasn't good news as we had been up since 4am and need to get our heads down for a few hours before going out that night.

We went to our room which was the top floor of the hotel and the 1st thing i noticed was the smell, the room smelt like sewage and the smell was MUCH stronger in the bathroom. The 2nd thing i noticed was the front window had NO curtains or blinds, this is not good as i was under the impression that we was booked into a 3 star hotel and this DID NOT look or smell like a 3 star hotel. The 3rd thing i noticed in our 3 star hotel was the window pain was broken in the window at the side of the room.

I didn't complain as i felt it wouldn't have gotten us anywhere and was only there for 2 nights, so we made do with it and tried not to be there as often as possible.

We've been to Amsterdam 24 times in the past 7 years and we have never had a room like this one at the Season Star Hotel and we never will go back to this hotel in Amsterdam again.

Please don't be fooled by the hotels GREAT looking website.

On a good point and the only good point to this Hotel is it's location as it is in the heart of Amsterdam, but there are loads of other hotels in the heart of Amsterdam so try one of them :)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo1976
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This small hotel is ideally located two blocks from the Central Railroad station. (There is good rail service from airport to station.) My room was tiny, very tiny, but judging from the fire-escape outline floor map on the inside of the door, some of the rooms are bigger. Also I was a single traveler which I indicated when I made my reservation so I could have gotten a small room. The stairs to my room were steep, and the tread narrow for my big American feet, but I suspect this is the case with a lot of hotels in Amsterdam. However part of this hotel is serviced by an elevator so if one doesn’t want to carry luggage up narrow stairs, then make sure you are in the right part of the hotel. My room was in back and quiet, but since the hotel is on a busy street, there might be some street noise in front rooms. Breakfast was good, but minimal. Personnel at the front desk spoke English and were helpful.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)