Marnix Hotel
US$370
US$249
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The confusion in some of the reviews is that the property seems to operate in two distinct models. A hotel with private facilities and a hostel with 4-12 beds in each room. I stayed here last month for 2 nights and never having stayed in a hostel before was "fearing the worst"after reading some of the reviews.
I checked in early afternoon and was allocated a bed in a 6 bedded room with a private shower room. The room was basic and not very well decorated but the bed was comfortable and both the sheets and towels were immaculate as was the shower room and toilet. All the reception staff were very friendly and gave great advice on finding local supermarkets and attractions. The lower ground floor area next to the reception was good for relaxing with other guests and you could use the fridge, microwave and utensils for your own food and drink I bought locally a bottle of wine for just over 2 euros, a microwaveable ready meal for the same and can of lager for 50 cents ( the average price was 5 euros in a bar).
Yes, the entrance to the room was back outside, next door down and yes, the tread on the stair was very narrow and quite steep because it is an old building and yes, my room was under the stairwell leading up to the 2nd and 3rd floors so I could hear people going up to their rooms and yes the hall areas had cheap laminate so it was noisy to walk on and yes, the wifi seemed to be problematic the further you were away from reception, but I didn't come to Amsterdam to sit on a computer/facebook/twitter, but it was all worth it because for the price I paid I couldn't have pitched a tent at a camping site.
I believe that the rack rate in some of the private rooms is around 100 euros a night and for what I saw that is completely overpriced but if you are lucky and have some nice quiet/friendly room mates then you could have a pleasant stay for around a TENTH of that. I did, but maybe I was just lucky!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back had no road side noise issues
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank thegettingoldman
Reviewed 23 October 2013

it's on budget hostel in perfect location near to city center
it was clean all the time but missing some facilities like lockers
you have only your bed and you could use the bathroom and shower that's it

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I've been here for 3 nights among with 2 friends in a 4 beds room with private b athroom; it was clean from our check-in 'till check-out. The guy even asked if we'd need something..perfect if you need a room just for sleeping.. right in front of the hotel there's the bus stop connecting to the schiphol.oh and wonderful position, with bikes you can get anywhere

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 8 October 2013

the hotel's location is really cool, but there are trams running right past it and our windows wouldn't close so it was really loud (and i have a cold now). the service was okay, we got fresh towels every day. The bathroom are dirty and half of the time there wasn't any toiletpaper. one that was cool was that we originally booked a 10 bed room and ended up in a 6 bed dorm with only 5 people. I wouldn't recommend the hotel...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends