“I´ve made a lot of bad decisions in my life..”
Review of Marnix Hotel

Marnix Hotel
Ranked #335 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
“I´ve made a lot of bad decisions in my life..”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I´ve made a lot of bad decisions in my life, but I never really thought that choosing a hotel would be one of my worst.
I can´t believe how this so called "hotel" (imagine it to be more like a dirty prison cell without bars) can even exist. I mean there have to be some kind of health legislation for hotels in Amsterdam, right? However if you ever choose to stay here prepare for the following: Unfriendly staff, mould in every corner, miece crawling everywhere, bugs and other stuff are very common also. Don´t expect anything to be the way it has to be, the mirrors are broken, you´ll probably find faeces on the lavatory seat and also on the walls. The tap is unusable unless you just hold it with one hand still and turning it on with your other, and even than you risk that the sink will loose hold and crash on the floor.
SERIOUSLY, I´m not making this up!
We were there on New Year's Eve as a group of three. We spontaneously decided to book a room here for one night for 300€. I on myself tought for 300€ you could at least get a clean bed for a night..
It´s a shame that it is impossible to get your money back in Amsterdam, not even if you call the police.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Myself an 2 friends stayed here for my Birthday (Jan 22-25)...after reading previous reviews we were dreading it! However as we only paid £126 for 3 nights between 3 of us so we can't complain! We had to climb 4 flights of stairs as there was no lift. Yes, the room was cramped (3 sets of bunkbeds) but we were out most of the time therefore it was ok for sleeping and showering. It was scruffy but there was hot water, clean towels and sheets...what more does one need for a 3 day booze up? Location was fantastic for bars and restaraunts.

1 Thank jambo2301
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is a ultra budget hotel that provides what you expected for what you pay. You would be hard pushed to find a cheaper place to stay indoors in Amsterdam. The other major advantage of this place is the location, very central, close to decent clubs and bar & restaurants. The stairs up to the room are very steep so watch out for that, all part of the fun for me. The 4 bed room we stayed in, bunk bed (no ladder please use the chair) and two singles. TV (worked), Shower (worked, you may have to play about with the temp control for a few hours), toilet (no button to flush, please remove lid and pull up flush from inside), radiator (hanging off wall), nice gap below window to act as air con (eco friendly). I like it when there is a mattress in the corridor which gets occupied by some random dude every night. Oh yeah and if any tiles fall off the wall during the night just blu tac them back on.

But yeah, it's a room..

Room Tip: Erm, one with a lock.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JeffHardy10
Long Branch, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My stay may not reflect how it is all year round at Marnix Hotel as I stayed there on New Year's Eve, a really busy time, but some things I encountered here were unforgivable.

First things first, my brother and I arrived pretty early in the morning (around 7:30am) and we were exhausted from traveling. When we arrived, we were greeted by a rude, foul jerk who told us we couldn't hang around/rest in the lobby until the 2 pm check in, and that we had to wander around the city until 2pm (meanwhile, there was clearly nothing they had to do in order to prepare our room). Only very reluctantly did he let us leave our luggage there while we roamed around, no map, no advice, nothing. Literally kicked out paying customers. I cannot believe someone would treat a paying guest that way, especially in an age where customer service and crowd sourcing has become so important. I'm not a particularly fussy guy, so we left our bags there and set off for town, thinking it was just one misgiving.

To say nothing of the 5% credit card fee which probably goes to show that all this place wants is your money, our room was filthy, floor was sticky, only one outlet for a ten person bedroom, shower was broken, gross, full of hair, bathroom had literally no ventilation, dirty, so so dirty, beds were full of stains, everything felt sticky and bare, they charged you for whatever they could, whether it was an umbrella, a razor, you name it. I was so glad to get out of there after only spending one night (for something like 180 euros, I don't even want to remember). Literally rubbish and if I could use the most foul language possible on tripadvisor I would.

Amsterdam is only just beautiful/friendly enough to bail this pit out, otherwise, our entire stay there would have been ruined. Staff are really unfriendly, they just want their money, they don't want to help at all. Spare the extra cash to stay somewhere decent, this is just not worth it.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here, which I don't see why you would, don't go for the ten pers...
2 Thank stigg425

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Kajang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Current rating of Marnix hotel is pretty low and I find that surprising given my near flawless 2-nights experience there.

Room and the shared bathroom are very clean. The heater/radiator working fine, as well as the hot shower with pressure. One setback there is no elevator which is quite a hassle if you travel with heavy baggage but a none-issue if otherwise.

Location is just perfect. Ramplein tram stop just across the street in front of the hotel. Very convenient

If you are on religious diet, you can find some halal Turkish doner kebab or Indonesian cuisine around the area. They can be reached either by walking or take the tram one stop away

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'd read several negative reviews on TripAdvisor that were pretty disturbing, but the cheap b**tard in me prevailed and I decided to take the plunge for the sake of the unbelievable price - 79€ for two nights in mid-Jan.

En route to the 'hotel' (term loosely applied), I spoke with a few locals who expressed utter disbelief at the price, considering the fantastic location. It was also then I realised that this was more of a 'hostel' than a hotel. It did not help that a bartender I showed my booking slip to made a few jokes about the movie 'Hostel' (which did wonders for the tourism industry in eastern Europe, I'm sure) and commented on how I reminded him of the Japanese tourist who had her eyeballs melted by the blowtorch. Thanks, buddy, really.

By then I was overrun with fears of having my organs stolen (because my 'stunningly good looks' ensured that this was a greater possibility than my chances of being trafficked into drug prostitution), and upon arriving at the hotel address, I found that it was separated into two buildings - one containing the rooms, and the other for check-in. What was this?! Was I going to die here?

Thankfully, my fears were assuaged by the friendly staff at the check in. I was then shown to my room, which contained sleeping quarters for 3 (1 bunk bed + 1 single) and fresh towels. Very spartan, but nothing to complain about for a no-frills accommodation.

There was a private shower space inside the room but it didn't have a door and was separated from the rest of the bedroom by a plastic shower curtain, Norman Bates not included. What was also not included was a rack to hang your towels or clothes, so I had to place them on a chair outside the shower area.

As expected, toiletries and hairdryers were not provided, and the sink was located outside the shower area next to the bunk bed.

The toilet was shared by other guests on the same floor, but it was clean and well-kept.

The beds were pristine and bedbug-free. Unlike what other guests had experienced, there was no "wet dog" smell. Occasionally, the smell of pot would waft up from the streets outside, but that's only because of the hotel's close proximity to The Bulldog and other coffeeshops.

I found the reception staff very helpful, especially when asking for directions to popular tourist spots (yes, they speak decent English!). I later found that they were unnecessary because the hotel was located within walking distance of almost everything – the Anne Frank museum, Leidseplein shopping district, Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark, Van Gogh museum etc.

We were able to use the Internet in the common room by the reception area and I am pleased to report that I was able to safely check-out with my organs intact.

TL;DR: You get what you paid for.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Ok let me begin by saying, this is Amsterdam. Stairs are steep in all the old buildings and there are no lifts. We stayed on the 3rd floor in room 301. There were stairs, they aren't that bad.

Also everywhere in Amsterdam charges a city tax, its around 5%, this is never added to the price of the room and is always added when you get there. We paid cash so i'm not sure about extra credit card charges mentioned.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who let us into the room early, the reception area was clean and there were two vending machines some toilets and a seating area where breakfast was served, we didn't have breakfast but the area was clean. We were given a key card each which was needed to get into the building and the room.

The building smelt like air freshener, not like sick or wet dog like somebody mentioned!

Now the room, it was a tiny room for 3 people, one bunk bed, one single bed. Not much room, one window that was easy to open and one radiator that meant even though it was freezing outside, the room was lovely and toasty. The only other things in our room were a mirror, a box of tissues, a bin, a table and a chair and two power sockets (Tip: bring a 4 plug with you and a converter plug- instant extra power!).

The lighting was ok with two lights. One shared toilet per floor (3 rooms on a floor I think) that was clean (and had toilet paper!) but there was no hand soap. The shower was nice and clean and warm.

Somebody mentioned the shower wasn't very powerful but it was fine, theres a little handle on the shower head that lets you change the power.

Finally the beds were SPOTLESS. They were clean, crisp and white. The towels were spotless. We had new towels delivered the second day we were there. There was no bedbug bites on any of us in the room as per another reviewer said. One thing to note though was that the top bunk had no ladders so you had to jump up, also no railings so there would be a decent drop for anybody that sleep dances. I don't know if this is the same for all the rooms but I presume it is.

The location was fantastic with Melkweg club less than a two minute walk away and Dam Square a 10 minute walk with LOADS of shopping around.

We couldn't get the wifi to work but theres a hotel over the road called backstage hotel, we could get a pretty decent wifi connection off them (no password!).

It was quite loud but easy enough to sleep through, nothing worse than in any other city centre.

After reading the reviews about Marnix we were absolutely dreading staying here but we had already booked it, we were all pleasantly surprised its a clean comfy place to get your head down miles cheaper than a lot of the other hotels in the area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends