“Not that exciting on a Tuesday afternoon” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 482 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The city's largest street market is just south of the city center.
Los Angeles, California
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Not that exciting on a Tuesday afternoon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was really excited to check out this street market, because I had read good things about it on the internet. Supposedly the biggest one in Amsterdam or something?

But when we visited on a Tuesday afternoon, I was a bit disappointed because it looked kind of dead. There wasn't that much going on, and I didn't see any stroopwaffels. :(

My boyfriend wanted to try some fried chicken from a vendor that drew a small crowd, so we got some drumsticks and a chicken sandwich. But I don't know if it was due to the Indonesian influence or what, but I found it too be way too oily, salty, sweet and spicy for my taste. There were even additional sauces on the side if you wanted to slather even more sweet chili sauce on.

Across from the popular chicken stand was a stand giving out free samples of olives, which were pretty good. We decided to take some green and black olives with feta cheese, hummus, and a ginormous loaf of bread with us for a picnic later at Het Vondelpark.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a picnic blanket with us, and my bf had the brilliant idea of buying some old clothes from another vendor to sit on in lieu. I spied a giant mumu, and we thought it would have been perfect to rip apart and sit on... but then I found a felt IKEA blanket for only 2 euros that was probably more suitable for our needs. Darn, so close! This would have been the trip to remember... with the mumu impromptu picnic blanket. Haha...

3 Thank I-Lin10

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worth it just for stroopwafel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

If you like shopping you'll like this place. If not, walk until you find a stroopwafel stand. 2 euros can get you a fresh chocolate covered wafer cookie with caramel in between. Bring some wet naps and enjoy!

Singapore, Singapore
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Not a place for quality finds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Don't have too high expectation for Albert Cuyp Market, just take it as a new experience at a new place.

One can find discounted items but not quality finds here. In general, the atmosphere is good, strolling down the aisles seeing different merchandises is also an enjoyment.

New York City, New York
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Discount market for sure”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is definitely a discount market. Nothing here was good quality (or worth buying) at all in my opinion. If you’ve been to a big city before, you’ve seen something like this, and it’s very similar to other city street markets offering discount items.

1 Thank Kate38880
Chennai (Madras), India
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Good place to visit off the beaten track”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you are tired of the usual coach tours and the crowds in the Squares, this is a place to hang out at. Mainly clothes, food etc., but more to just experience a flea market.

Definitely worth a couple of hours.