“NEVER TRUST THE PICTURES!”
Review of Art Gallery Hotel

Art Gallery Hotel
Ranked #337 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Durham, United Kingdom
“NEVER TRUST THE PICTURES!”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This hotel was rather disappointing. We picked it quite quickly based on some positive reviews and nice pictures. While there were some negative reviews, I always prided myself in having good judgement when it came to deciding if reviews were negative due to unreasonable expectations and my gut said this would be a good hotel. On this occasion I was wrong. As we approached the hotel we noticed that the adjoining buildings were derelict and graffitied. The outside of the hotel was also dirty and the reception had clearly not been hoovered for some time. Our windows were very close (with in stepping distance) to the rooms opposite as well as the windows of the derelict building (which were covered in plastic sheets rather than glass. The windows didn't lock or close fully either. Do not panic I told my darling wife, we will merely lock our valuables in the safe. Unfortunately, it had been locked by the previous occupant. I asked if the reception could unlock it and was told by the receptionist that she didn't know, and that I could leave all my money, passports, etc... with the staff behind the desk. I think NOT! Nevertheless, although in effective in this instance they staff were very friendly.

The pictures are technically accurate but fail to show the toll the 15 years since they were taken has had on the hotel's general condition. The walls were stained and the bathroom was dirty. It was a badly designed wet room that failed to drain properly which meant you can to waddle round the room scraping pools of water from behind the toilet.

The hotel is situated in a very affluent area of town near the museum district. The street was quiet and reasonably clean. We paid for an en-suite room and our room was located between the non-on suite rooms and the floor's only toilet. This resulted in the other guest creakily walking past our room at all hours and slamming the fire doors - very little sleep was to be had by either of us. The sheet were clean and the towels fresh which earned this hotel its solitary star.

Room Tip: If you want an en-suit room ask for one away from the floor's toilet and a room that faces the s...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Holt, Michigan
Reviewed 10 August 2012

As with most hotels in Amsterdam, there are a lot of stairs. (I was on the second floor.) The rooms are small but comfortable. The people at reception were friendly. The best part of the hotelis its location--five minutes from Leidse Square or the Rijksmuseum. Breakfasts were more ample than one expects in an Amsterdam hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This place has two and only two things going for it: 1) If you are a tourist and plan to spend a lot of time near the museums or the Leidseplein, it's a decent location. 2) It tends to be slightly less expensive than other options in the area.

Get past that and you've got some issues to face. Yes, the stairs are very steep but that's not unusual in Amsterdam. When I arrived, even though my reservation stated check-in was 1pm, and even though I asked if I could possibly check-in early, I was told I couldn't check-in until 2pm.
Customers have to leave their bags in a highly unsecured area in the main lobby which is the size of a breadbox.
At 2pm, I had to go all the way upstairs to my room to see if it was cleaned. Why is this my responsibility?
Upon entering the room, I discovered a very, very small space just barely big enough for 2 persons. Even though I requested two beds, they were pushed (and forced together) by the headboard. Furniture was stained and dirty. The bathroom was fairly disgusting. The walls and ceiling were peeling, the showerhead had not been cleaned or polished in ages, and the vanity light did not work.
More so, when leaving the hotel, we were told to leave the key at the desk for "security reasons". I think my room would be more secure if I had the key and not an unscrupulous staff member. To make it worse, there was a small safe in the room (only big enough to store some money and small items) but it did not work at all.
The front staff were not unfriendly but neither did they really make an effort to welcome guests.
Lastly, they try to pass the costs of using a credit card onto the consumer, adding 2% to your bill if you don't pay with cash.

Frankly, I've stayed in a lot of dumps and even really awful hostels. This place is not bad if you only need a cheap place to stay for one night. But it's not a destination hotel or even a place you'd want to spend any time in. I'd likely not come back for any reason other than I had no other options.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank stuttsdc

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Nice, France
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This really is a great hotel. The room was nice, the staff is friendly and we enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The location is fantastic! Right in the hart of Amsterdam. A hotel to remember!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nel E
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights, thought it was good value for money, better than I was expecting it to be, the room was a good size and it was very clean! Some of our party were in another room which was up 4 very steep flights of stairs, there is no lift also. We stayed on ground floor, no issues with noise or anything during our stay. Staff on reception were friendly and helpful. I would say it is about 25 minute walk from the main attractions of amsterdam - red light district, dam square etc. but there are plently shops, bars and restaurants 5 minutes from the hotel also. There is a little complex about 2 minutes walk over the road from the hotel, hard rock cafe did great food and the irish pub next to it was good too. Taxi from the airport was about 45 euros.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Wirral, UK
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed for one night to go to a concert at the Paradiso music venue (just 2 minutes walk from the hotel). The staff were very helpful, the room was comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank PB2775
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

A simple hotel in a great location. We stayed for 4 nights and had a great time. The stairs were steep but I would guess that most hotels in the area would have stairs like that. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was fine. I would stay there again next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Ask about stairs if you are going to be taking heavy luggage, children etc.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

3 Thank Ramona2121