“CHEAP & CLEAN”
Review of Hotel Museum Lane

Hotel Museum Lane
Ranked #344 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I stayed in the hotel with a friend for 4 nights (Sep 2009) and I paid 83€ per night/ two people. It was our first time in Amsterdam so we were looking for a cheap hotel just for "sleeping" that means that we didn't spend much time in it. The specific hotel almost met our expectations given Amsterdam standards (limited space, small rooms, narrow stairs, usually no elevators, high hotel rates etc).

More specifically, we stayed in a room on the ground floor next to the reception desk. The room was smaller than we thought (even if we were aware that it would be a small double room). There was a very small wardrobe in it, an office table, one chair, one armchair and a TV. The bathroom was not so small in comparison with the room.

Unfortunately, the room was no sunny and no sound- isolation. Every time the receptionist was talking with anyone or somebody entering the entrance we clearly heard him (most probably that happened the other way around too). In addition to this, the rest of the rooms were upstairs and we noticed that the stairs were very narrow and there was no elevator. The breakfast room was in -1 level so we had to use a few stairs ourselves and realised how tired it could be for all those staying in higher levels.

Besides these annoying matters, we acknowledge that this was the cheapest room we found in the area on the requested dates so we didn't demand 5* service and facilities. The hotel was generally clean, we had clean towels upon our arrival, hot water late at nights, soap in the bathroom, good breakfast with a nice variety (ham, cheese, jam, chocolate, fruits, bread, juices, water, coffee etc,), kind staff, internet (charged 5€ due 24:00), convenient location (5 minutes on foot from leidseplein station, 5 minutes on foot from a cruise-boat station adn heineken building, 5 minutes away on foot from Rijkmuseum, 20 minutes on foot from Dam square).

I would recommend it only to those who need just a cheap place to have a rest.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank LFKT

Reviewed 27 July 2009

Went for a weekend break. First the good points: The hotel is reasonably near the centre of things; quite busy, convenient for transport and not too far from the major attractions. The buffet continental breakfast was very acceptable. On the more extensive negtaive side, it is the other side of the city centre from the central station (which is good for getting to and from the airport), which did cause a little extra cost and inconvenience. The hotel itself is only ten years old but shows its age; I suspect it has never been refurbished. The breakfast room is very small (only 4 tables) and becomes congested. I think the occupancy rate is not high as I was upgraded from a 'small double' to a rather misnamed 'delux' room: the double bed consisted of two singles pushed together with separate duvets for each. The flush button on the toilet was broken so that you had to use a finger nail to press the plastic stub to flush the toilet and the shower has the habit of going from warm to scalding hot rather rapidly. I did wonder what my non-delux room would have been like! A major inconvenience was that there seems to be no routine cleaning of occupied rooms! Reception informed us that rooms were not entered except when guests checked out! We were only given this information when we queried why our room has not been cleaned, bed(s) made, bins emptied or towels replaced. This despite information and notices in the room saying to leave dirty towels on the bathroom floor if they are to be replaced (the receptionist informed me that towels are only replaced on request and didn't seem to recognise this contradiction). This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in where rooms are not routinely serviced and towels replaced.
Overall, for the quite expensive price (though I think its cheap by Amsterdam standards!) this was disappointing stay and one I will never repeat.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank budoka55
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Very helpful and kind staff, esp. the manager

very good breakfast and facilities

cosy atmosphere
internet connection
practically next to the museums and in a nice quiet area
very close to Leidseplein where all the bars and restaurants are.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoteiniM
Reviewed 11 March 2008

we were not expecting a great hotel something cheep warm clean and comfortable but was very disappointed. firstly we went out and done a littlle sight seeing beautiful , came back to the room for a lie down and the room was freezing a large window and short curtains we asked to have the heating on reception said we always have people complaining about this room and then offered us a room on the third or forth floor
my goodness you had to be a mountaineer to climb the stairs it was like a ladder with carpet straight up we only managed a few rungs as it was really unsafe
after another chat with reception he said there was nothing he could do about this and proceeded to charge us for one night stay reluctantly i paid 65 euros silly of me i know but the receptionist threatened to call police as this was their policy
unfortunately i was not told about this prior to booking and feel greatly disappointed we had to then spend more of our hard earned money to find somewhere else to stay
maybe if his reveiw is read i might be reimbursed for my nonestay ill keep you posted if they do

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank happyholidays63
Reviewed 26 March 2007

We arrived early in the morning , 2 couples.The first thing we did was breakfast, I have to admit it was quite well in a really small dining place... The rooms were not ready so we left out for lunch and sightseeing, we came back in the late afternoon and after a tiring travel all the way up from Turkey and wandering around the city all day it was a real bad suprise we had when we got our rooms. One room was right next to the reception really small ( we knew we booked a small double room but we did not know it would be that small , no space even to a luggage) the other double room was even worse, it was a twin room right next to the dinning area with L shaped bed design, tiny and uncomfortable beds,The ad on hotels website said LCD tv but we only got an 15" really old TV and the furniture was all worn-out, the room looked totally unclean, dark and dingy, stinking and flooded bathroom, you need to flush down the toilet to remove the floating water after a shower and when you do that the water comes up from the shower drain on the floor. And they seem to know the situation of the shower/toilet because when we complained about the flood the first thing they did was to come down and flush down the toilet. The room was too cold, the heating seems broken or something, it was impossible to close the 2 windows (looking to the buildings aisle) in the room so the wind was coming in through the window it was not possible to use the bed next to the windows to sleep and they were fully aware of this situation as well but they could not care less. They couldnt offer us a better room even with the price change because they were fully booked. We had to search for another room in the city and had to move out to sleep somewhere decent... I am so sad I was so upset that I did not take the photos of the room we had while we were running out, they have really nice pictures in their own website... The only good thing is the location of the hotel...

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank pinkmartini_Istanbul
Reviewed 21 March 2007

This hotel is in a very convenient location. Unfortunately, it was quite honestly the worst Amsterdam experience I have ever had (I have been to the city numerous times and stayed in different hotels each time.)
The staff were disinterested and somewhat unapproachable. The worst part of the whole stay was that my room was located in the basement of the hotel some 5 yards from the kitchen and dining room, with no door to reduce the noise. Consequently I was awoken at 6.30am EVERY morning by staff slamming cupboards and preparing breakfast. There were 2 double rooms in the basement and it is unthinkable to consider that they can be used for paying guests. The noise from the downflow water pipes is also continuous in these rooms which further added to the misery. My advice would be to ask whether your booking is for a basement room, and if so, cancel and find another hotel. I find it deplorable that I paid so much money for sleep deprivement. My whole trip was ruined because I was unable to sleep. I will not be returning to this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank GbTubs
Reviewed 8 October 2006

Stayed in a superior double room with great views of the Rembrant museum.
About 2 minutes walk from tram line (No. 1,2,5 from Centraal Station).
The hotel sends very comprehensive information once you have booked, and Ed the proprietor is very courteous, and helpful.
He very kindly marked on the map, all the sights and attractions.
Hotel is situated about 5 minutes from the canal cruise boats and about 30 minutes walk from Centraal Station, through all the best shopping streets!!
Great room with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The hotel is spotlessly clean, well situated, however it would not be suited to those who are 'less able' as to get to the 4th floor there are some very steep winding stairs! As you would expect in Amsterdam.
Breakfast included in price, very good.

Really enjoyed our stay, would recommend this anytime.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends