“Worst Ever”

Ranked #337 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Istanbul
“Worst Ever”
Reviewed 26 March 2007

We arrived early in the morning , 2 couples.The first thing we did was breakfast, I have to admit it was quite well in a really small dining place... The rooms were not ready so we left out for lunch and sightseeing, we came back in the late afternoon and after a tiring travel all the way up from Turkey and wandering around the city all day it was a real bad suprise we had when we got our rooms. One room was right next to the reception really small ( we knew we booked a small double room but we did not know it would be that small , no space even to a luggage) the other double room was even worse, it was a twin room right next to the dinning area with L shaped bed design, tiny and uncomfortable beds,The ad on hotels website said LCD tv but we only got an 15" really old TV and the furniture was all worn-out, the room looked totally unclean, dark and dingy, stinking and flooded bathroom, you need to flush down the toilet to remove the floating water after a shower and when you do that the water comes up from the shower drain on the floor. And they seem to know the situation of the shower/toilet because when we complained about the flood the first thing they did was to come down and flush down the toilet. The room was too cold, the heating seems broken or something, it was impossible to close the 2 windows (looking to the buildings aisle) in the room so the wind was coming in through the window it was not possible to use the bed next to the windows to sleep and they were fully aware of this situation as well but they could not care less. They couldnt offer us a better room even with the price change because they were fully booked. We had to search for another room in the city and had to move out to sleep somewhere decent... I am so sad I was so upset that I did not take the photos of the room we had while we were running out, they have really nice pictures in their own website... The only good thing is the location of the hotel...

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — everything accept for the location
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank pinkmartini_Istanbul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
GB
Reviewed 21 March 2007

This hotel is in a very convenient location. Unfortunately, it was quite honestly the worst Amsterdam experience I have ever had (I have been to the city numerous times and stayed in different hotels each time.)
The staff were disinterested and somewhat unapproachable. The worst part of the whole stay was that my room was located in the basement of the hotel some 5 yards from the kitchen and dining room, with no door to reduce the noise. Consequently I was awoken at 6.30am EVERY morning by staff slamming cupboards and preparing breakfast. There were 2 double rooms in the basement and it is unthinkable to consider that they can be used for paying guests. The noise from the downflow water pipes is also continuous in these rooms which further added to the misery. My advice would be to ask whether your booking is for a basement room, and if so, cancel and find another hotel. I find it deplorable that I paid so much money for sleep deprivement. My whole trip was ruined because I was unable to sleep. I will not be returning to this hotel!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank GbTubs

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

north wales
Reviewed 8 October 2006

Stayed in a superior double room with great views of the Rembrant museum.
About 2 minutes walk from tram line (No. 1,2,5 from Centraal Station).
The hotel sends very comprehensive information once you have booked, and Ed the proprietor is very courteous, and helpful.
He very kindly marked on the map, all the sights and attractions.
Hotel is situated about 5 minutes from the canal cruise boats and about 30 minutes walk from Centraal Station, through all the best shopping streets!!
Great room with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The hotel is spotlessly clean, well situated, however it would not be suited to those who are 'less able' as to get to the 4th floor there are some very steep winding stairs! As you would expect in Amsterdam.
Breakfast included in price, very good.

Really enjoyed our stay, would recommend this anytime.

• Liked — Friendly owner, stunning views, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Steep stairs!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Can leave your luggage if not flying until late!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank sbouckley
Bonn
Reviewed 26 September 2006

I arrived alone at 10:30pm - the guy who checked me in was rude and unhelpful. I didn't feel at ease as a lone female traveller.

I'd booked a double room, since my boyfriend was to join me the following night and it was just awful. The thing that really got me was that it wasn't clean at all. I don't mind small or dark but this was just dirty. The bathroom really stank (worse than public toilets) and when you showered the water just flowed out all over the bathroom floor.

The hotel's response to the smell was just to spray air freshener in the bathroom.

For over 100 EUR a night you could find a place that was at least clean. I would recommend anyone to stay away from this hotel, and not even risk getting one of the 'better' rooms.

Helen

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The smell in the bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank Helen_HFL
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 April 2006

I can only offer comment on the room we were allocated and that on a five minute assessment, we went to another hotel.

Room 101 (ring any bells UK tv watchers?) is ground floor and behind reception, the charge for our three day stay being £288.00, not what I would consider a budget price but okay as this was a "Boutique Hotel".
Afraid not, yes the staff are really helpful and informative, but our room was little more than a cupboard, big enough for a double bed and bedside cabinet and not much else. Two windows look onto an internal 8 foot by 8 foot atrium above the breakfast room and service area, dank and dingy just about says it all. During out five minute stay every word spoken at reception could be heard and anyone going up or down the stairs sounded like they were coming into the room to join us.

We were very dissapointed as the emails from the hotel were friendly and informative and the website paints a pretty picture.

I may or may not get a refund for two of the nights but to be honest I don't care, it would have been a miserable place to stay and would have ruined the trip.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank stephp38
London
Reviewed 27 March 2005

We recently stayed 4 night at the hotel.
Though not as pretentious as its website suggests. Its Ok for Amsterdam.

Its location is excellent, just accross from tne Galleries, near lots of cheap (thogh variable, but try the Tong-Ah in Leidsedwarsstraat for a great economy ricre table) and Leidesplein for trams and bars

Staff are indeed helpful, no bag to room service (but what smarter hotel does these days) stairs steep but typical of these 19th century buildings, nothing like as bad as the budget favourites of Raadhuisstraat. Milder stairs also available.

Room small and quite gloomy (typical Amsterdam), front might be sunny but trams, heating available 24 hours, ensuite roomy, fresh towels daily, "wet room" style as seen in many modern Dutch houses, with corner drain. Slight leak from cistern (clean water) good bed.

Breakast very adequate, self service including tea/coffee.
Not as well presented as smarter hotels but as good selection. Fresh fruit. Semi skimmed milk, fresh from carton, certainly not powdered !Tea coffee help yourself all day.

Given the outrageous prices in Amsterdam these days, its a good, budget level hotel and should be seen as such. Would not reccomend for elderly guests (Im only 68) as stairs.
If you want the Amsterdam experiece, stay somewhere like this, otherwise use a modern clone that could be anywhere, and will take all your sweety money !Will come again.

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank John-Ball
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 December 2004

Like other reviewers I was duped by the great pictures on this hotel's website. To be fair they do say that not all rooms have the great view shown on the site... understatement of the year. Our very small, very depressing room was unbelievably dark and also fairly noisy (right next to the 24 hour reception). The bathroom was the worst thing about the room, with the shower nothing more than a drain in the corner next to the toilet with a curtain round it... no tiles, very grim. For 100 euro it was a ripoff - I know space is at a premium in Amsterdam and it was the summer season, but I do think there are much better deals out there.

• Stayed August 2004