“Disappointing”

Hotel Old Quarter
Ranked #2,510 of 4,141 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: The restaurant is in the Old Quarter Hotel
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was our third, and final, visit to the restaurant. Sadly the place was sold to new owners and the menu, food, and even bier has degraded. I had AYCE ribs last time that were great. This time they were just okay; the first rack was dry and overcooked. The subsequent racks were much more tender and good. Our friend had the chicken sate which was just okay. My wife had mushroom soup and salad -- liked both. The menu used to include many Dutch stew-like options; there's now just one daily Dutch special. They used to serve Guinness. No more; now they serve Murphy's.

Mickey the cat, who used to be there with the old owners, was still around and more friendly/playful this time. Guess the owners sold the business and Mickey along with the restaurant?

Bummer. This used to be a great Dutch restaurant. We've now deleted this restaurant from our list of places to eat in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The worst EVER. Affraid of bedbugs, smelled of Urin, beds as from WW2, no bathroom, not cleaned no nothing... Terrible, discusting.

2  Thank Henk v
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We had been walking all day in that beautiful city of Amsterdam and ended up in this nice, cozy and wonderful restaurant, which is also a hotel. The waiters and waitress were friendly, the beer always nice and cold. The appetizers and the food, one of the best in town. We definitely will be back in there.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Awesome meals (just like at your grandmother's), nice friendly staff. The atmosphere was so welcoming and cozy I felt like staying there all night long. And you will certainly love the cat!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We walked right by the restaurant, without seeing it. Upon returning on the same street we did find the restaurant; thank goodness. It was a pleasant surprise to find AC inside the restaurant which was definitely needed since the temps were in the mid 30s (C) that evening.

Service and food were excellent again (this was our second dinner here after discovering the place earlier in the year). The Guinness is cold and reasonable (€ 5.50 a pint) and food is very good. My wife went with fish and chips while I went with all you can eat ribs. I'm a rib maker so I judge ribs against mine. Their ribs were really, really good. Fell off the bone with being too tender, and had a really good grilled/light saucy taste. No doubt, I'll eat those ribs again! Bring an appetite as they're willing to feed you ribs as long as you'd like to eat 'em. I have only two plates-ful which was perfect. And at € 16 +/-, a great deal as well.

I did comment to the waitress how difficult a time we had finding the restaurant due to lack of proper signage. She told me three days earlier a truck had ripped their sign off the wall outside. So if you go, and you should, keep your eyes peeled for this place.