“A true gem”

Kaap de Goede Hoop
Ranked #973 of 4,315 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Cuisines: Diner, German, Dutch
Description: Kaap de Goede Hoop is a very nice bar/restaurant at the Overtoom in Amsterdam! Just a few minutes away from Amsterdam Center and worth taking the trip for the good and payable meals and very enthusiastic staff. Our specialty....? German Schnitzel!
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Unbeatable service, great atmosphere, excellent and wholesum food... especially the schnitzel variants (my favourite is the Cordon Blue). Getting a bit out of the center in order to get to it, is definitely worth the trouble.

1  Thank mcarmeli

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Kaap de Goede Hoop is a really welcoming, snug place for drinks and/or food. It serves its neighbourhood and a nearby hotel, so there is usually an entertaining mixture of eccentric regulars and visitors to people-watch. The best dishes are hefty schnitzel, burger and sate dishes - but healthier choices like soup and salads are also yummy here.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We came upon this place thanks to tripadvisor. Staying just up the road in the Conscious hotel we wanted good food not too far away. Well we have found a little gem. We were greeted at the door by smiley, and happy Lisa and Stephanie.
English menus were presented swiftly, drinks were quick and we both ordered the schnitzel (me with extra salad no chips - a little change was no problem at all).
As we enjoyed our drinks and the atmosphere we could hear the chef banging out our dinner in the kitchen - not saying he was loud but I know that my dinner was definitely not from frozen.
Schnitzel presented on a large plate (and it took most of the plate up too) with my salad on an additional plate. My other half had the Pepper sauce that is suggested, it was thick and added just the right amount of kick to the dish.
We finished with an apple cake (home made) and ice cream with chocolate sauce. Delightful.

As we were paying for the bill (about 45 euro- including a few beers and cokes) we were treated to some little cookies that are Christmas treats, along with a little story about them.

Would I go again - YES! I want to go tomorrow, but they are closed on a Monday. So I will have to wait to next visit.
A must try only if you like genuine, warm,and friendly service.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I'm a tourist but I hate tourist joints, you know? This place is just a small neighborhood joint, with German-based food. I was walking by as they (the cook and the waiter (owner?)) were getting ready to open. The waiter saw me looking at the menu and made a funny rhyme about their Wiener schnitzel being the best. I asked when they opened and he said to come on in, if I didn't mind them lighting the candles around me. I went in and asked what their best was. He said it was just a neighborhood place but people came for the schnitzel. So I said fine, I'd like that and he could pick the wine the wine for me.

I'm not a fan of German food but this was fantastic. Hot, fresh, not dried out. I could hear the cook beating on the meat after I ordered, that's how fresh it was. Fries and salad were also great.

And as I was eating a few locals drifted in. The waiter brought them their beer or coffee without asking. He even helped a couple of elderly people sit down, all while chatting like the old friends they were. The locals even said hello to the cat curled up on a bar stool.

I told the waiter how fantastic the food was and he was thrilled, not in that fake way, but enthusiastic that someone noticed their hard work and that they made someone happy. He even gave me a real and warm smile when I paid him and said the extra I left was for a couple of drinks for him and the cook later. The amazing thing about his genuine happiness? He stayed that way when he looked at the cash as I left. That doesn't sound amazing until you find out I discovered when I got to my hotel that I misread his writing on the bill and thought I had left him an extra 9 euro (about 40% or so) but had really only left him 80 cents. Oops! But I think he preferred my compliments and satisfaction over the money anyway.

Don't worry. I'm going back tomorrow to fix my mistake and as long as I'm there, I'll have a bite. :-)

This was my first night in Amsterdam and I think I found the real Amsterdam on the first try. I hope so,

1  Thank Timothy W
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Definitely recommend this place! The food was great, setting was cosy and the service was fantastic (waiter gave us so much help, to the point where he drew a map for us when we asked where something was - he wasnt obtrusive at all but was there when we needed him). Unfortunately cannot give a good review on value as I'm really not up with what's reasonable in terms of euros yet. Loved the house cat! Ticked all the boxes for us for a casual meal out with lots of variety on the menu, my partner had a snitzel and I had teriyaki chicken. Reminded me slightly of a pub meal back in Australia but better!

1  Thank Smanten