“Beyond Excellent”

Ranked #14 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beyond Excellent”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I travel extensively international for work and usually stay at well-heeled high-end business hotels, with me enjoying very high status on numerous airlines and hotels. (So I am easily jaded and not readily impressed) Recently my wife (who is Dutch) and I came back to Amsterdam for a wedding (having lived in Amsterdam for many years and until recently, keep an apartment in Oud Zuid). We thought we knew every lodging in Amsterdam. The bride and groom were kind enough to book us an evening at the Breitner House. Let me start by saying that I NEVER write reviews (and this will probably be the only one I will every write) and i usually read reviews with a skeptic's jaundiced eye; but this place was something I have never experienced. Camille and Guido (the owners) and Aart the Chef couldn't have been more gracious from the moment we walked in the door. There are are only two beautiful suites and it is if your were staying with your favorite cousins that just happen to have a mini-chateau in downtown Amsterdam. The food was outstanding. The company charming. My Amsterdam wife said that she would never stay anyplace else in Amsterdam. Have stayed in more places then I care to count on every continent, I can say that the Breitner House is truly some rare and special. I write this review almost out of obligation to a couple that deserve to have the kudos but I can tell you that I almost did not write because I don't want you to know about so i know that I will always have a room. Enjoy your stay, you will never find another place like it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChipHaskell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

I came to Amsterdam on business trip, but not very busy one so I decided to experiment a bit and stay in the hotel that is not quite usual. It shod not be a regular 5 star hotel, but it should not be a usual bed and breakfast one. So after a small research I came up with this hotel. And believe me if there is paradise somewhere in the world in the hotels - this is the place. The coupe who own the place Guido and Camilla made me feel at home ( better than at home) from the first moment. Very hospitable and nice not because they were trained to be so but this is their nature. They mean it. Always ready to jump to help you whatever you need. There is only small problem with this. You do not want to leave this cosy pace. Just seat in their beautiful dining room and chat with them about anything you want and they are happy to be your company. Today in the morning with an Australian couple we spent a few hours with Guido and Camilla having wonderful home made breakfast and chatting and chatting and chatting.
There are only two beautiful rooms for guests in the house.
With their background, Camilla was an actress and Guido - a film director they invested their hearts in house. Beautiful Murano chandelier in my room is something very special. I can go on and on and on but that is enough. (Please see photos on Booking.com). You should come on see it for yourself. I have decided to bring my wife to this place ASAP as I am looking forward to sharing this amazing experience with here.
It is a very busy place so one has to book well in advance( I was lucky as someone cancelled the trip the last minute). So if I could not get my room here for very long I will also blame this review. But the problem is that I could not resist the temptation to share my experience with you, dear readers of Trip Advisor.
It is not fare if I try it and some of you don't due to lack of information about this place.
It is true that it is not centrally located and one has to travel by tram for 15 minutes or by car for 10 to get to the center. But this is nothing compared with what you are getting instead. You should also think of having lunch and dinner somewhere else as the hotel does not have a restaurant that it normally providing this service but you can imagine that there are a couple of thousand of good restaurants in the city. By the way if one wants to eat at the hotel he should ask the owners and a very god chef Aart will make a fantastic dinner to your taste at hone.
If you are newly married or want to impress someone very special this is the best place you can go to.
This hotel is a very good value for money. Small but important nuances. One is getting wine, bear, strong drinks, water, WiFi and a few more things (it is simply difficult to remember) for free.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Igor S
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Our European honeymoon started in Amsterdam and we were welcomed with open arms by the lovely Camilla and Guido at the Brietner House. We savoured every moment of the 5 days we were fortunate enough to have in this quaint, eclectic old home. The room provided us with comfort and privacy, the bed was comfortable and the views out the back, serene. Our day started with layers of decadent choices of beautiful, colourful food and drink and the conversations flowed easily between my husband and the ever-interesting Guido. We took several pictures of the platters of food served to us as we knew nobody would believe the scrumptious feast and the assortment of choice before us. We felt welcomed each time we returned to the home, greeted with love and interest. The Brietner House topped all of our B&B experiences as we continued on through another 2 weeks of travel in Europe. I would highly recommend this "home" to anyone that might have the fortunate opportunity to stay with such loving and generous people.

2 Thank britandmica
Oxford, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a beautiful, fantastic place. The hosts are delightful and helpful from the moment you arrive until they bid you farewell. They lent us an umbrella and rain jacket since it was raining while we were in Amsterdam. They also told us how to get around and made our dinner reservation for us as well. Breakfast in the morning was beyond delicious and the whole atmosphere is one of happiness. It feels like you've gone through the looking glass and are in a whole new world of different and lovely things. My husband and I enjoyed our one night stay and wish we had planned on more time there. We will be back.

3 Thank TbabydollW
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The Breitner House is much more than a place do stay in Amsterdam, it is a life experience.
Starting with the beatifull neighbourhood as the house is just in front of a park.
But when Camilla opened the door I felt that place was different, special. Hospitality is in our hosts blood. And when they showed us the room I felt I just became a queen since the decoration was out of this world. Everithing carefully selected and you can feel they do it with love. The problem is that once you get to see the room you decide not to go back into town...
As I said the Breitner House is a life experience because Guido and Camilla, the owners of this palace, are the two most interesting people I´ve met in years. We were received with love, prosecco, salmon snacks and a lot of friendly conversation. They just wanted us to feel at home. Gave us instructions, set us a reservation in the best restaurant in town, gave us options and when we returned we kept being cared for.
After an increadible first day and night we woke up and ate a breakfest that reminded me of movies of the renaissance.
If only we could have stayed more days.
I recomend to every single person that wants to have a cultural exchange and live like a king and queen for a couple of days.
I will go back as many times as possible.
Too bad I live so far away, in Brazil.

2 Thank Marina M
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

From the very first moment of stepping through the door of Breitner House my wife and I knew we were in for the experience of a lifetime. Our stay was a present from our daughter and how she found this place we do not know but will be eternally grateful for whatever inspiration led her to discover Breitner House. Our hosts Camilla and Guido instantly made us feel not so much guests, more like long-lost friends, plying us with Prosecco and easy conversation. Camilla was most anxious that we should not go to our room before she had been able to set out fresh flowers there (do you get that in your average 5-star hotel?) There are only two suites in total ('room' would be an entirely inadequate description of the accommodation), each one a gem of artistic and furnished perfection. Ours was the Garden Suite, complete with armchairs galore, artworks on every wall, lamps and chandeliers of every description, full tea and coffee making facilities, huge Flat-screen TV, fruit, biscuits, bottles of wine and chocolates spread everywhere, and finally the most enormous and divine double bed.
Breakfast.....it' s been said before in previous reviews this is not so much the first meal of the day as an artistic experience. A vast medley of cheeses, cold meats, pâté, various little 'hot' dishes, tarts and lashings of fruit are just what greets you on first sitting down. At both our breakfast 'experiences' Guido was constantly bustling in from the kitchen with yet more delicacies, each cooked to perfection and infinitely tempting to the palate. You could literally spend hours sampling and yet not manage to taste everything laid out. Breakfast this isn't, rather more a full gastronomic extravaganza.
If you need to know anything about Amsterdam then Camilla and Guido will be able to provide the information. They know all the best places to visit, to eat, as well the perfect little cafe's in which to stay a while and recharge the bodily batteries during the day. Guido recommended bike hire to us as the best way to get around Amsterdam, but we preferred to use the excellent tram system which runs everywhere around the city, and provides both swift and cheap transport. Two tram routes cross each other almost literally right outside Breitner House.
In conclusion we can only say that it is highly unlike you will ever have stayed anywhere like this. Breitner House exudes the atmosphere of a 19th Century debating venue for all the artistic great and good of Amsterdam and it was an honour to experience the hospitality of Camilla and Guido. If you are visiting Amsterdam....you stay here! A 5-Star rating is not high enough.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda P
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Without a doubt the most amazing place to stay in Amsterdam. Feels like home, but then much better. Sitting next to the burning fireplace with a stormy, snowy exterior decor and being entertained by the lovely owners, provided us with the warmest homey feeling we could have wished for.

It took us literally hours to finish the superb breakfast/brunch/lunch that had been prepared for us. At first sight, not able to recognize it as a breakfast (as you can read in the other reviews: it looks like art!) We left at 15:30PM since we could not get enough of all the tasty ingredients (quiches, melon with ham, salmon, fresh fruit..) and the easy lazy sunday morning feeling that was even increased by the classical sounds.

Best bed ever and perfect curtains that make you wanna stay in bed and forget about the world outside. With a garden patio, the suite created a great and quite escape from the noises of Amsterdam.

Although we could not think of anything making this stay more perfect, plans for the future of Breitner´s House make us curious and we will definitely come back. Guido and Camilla, thank you so much for your hospitality and this perfect stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple