“Fabulous”

Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West
Ranked #57 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am staying in this hotel at the moment and it is great. The staff are extremely helpful and go that extra mile for you. The buffet restaurant is amazing, there is everything that you could want and the price is unbelievably cheap. I would certainly come back here again. Only one thing I can say negative was the bed was very hard, ( unfortunately I have a bad back)but the reception staff sorted it for me straight away.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Susan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is a very nice and well designed modern hotel which was the main reason I chose this for our family trip. We arrived quite late at round 9pm from Amsterdam and was really hungry since we didn't have dinner yet. I discovered that there was no restaurant nearby which we would have wanted to explore and so we were told by front office that we could take our meals in the two outlets. The coffee shop receptionist said that they already had a last call for the buffet and she suggested to go to the bar for light meals.
We went to the bar , with the four of us waiting for a waiter to approach us. My husband, decided to go to the waiter behind the bar and this waiter said "No more Food"
What???? It was only 9:30 and the front desk person said they served food up to 10pm. We had to go to the lady in the front desk who had to go and intercede for us for the waiter to give us the menu and take our orders. What!!! Guests have to beg to be served????
Anyway, this Lex Knapp, waiter from hell told us to transfer to the center table so he can get our orders. Yes, we can get food on his terms!
We ordered 3 burgers and my daughter a sate. He comes with 4 burgers and when we pointed out the mistake, he was like hesitant to change it. But my daughter was insistent.
I asked for catsup, and he replied "the sauce is already in the sandwich " .....he was really so overbearing.
To those who plan to book here, and if you will arrive on a late flight, please be aware that there are no cafés or restaurant nearby. The tram station is across the hotel but quite inconvenient to take the train to the city for a meal in the late evening.
Then, you'll have no choice but perhaps encounter Lex Knapp- the waiter from hell at the hotel bar! Beware !

Overall our stay here would have been very good, except for the experience at the hotel bar which ruined an otherwise generally very good experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank foodie9315
Malta
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Was here about a month after it first opened, back in late February 2013. Was greeting very well, with helpful staff evening providing a map and advising of best ways to get the the center.
Rooms: are comfortable and very high end.. the shower in particular took my fancy and made me quite envious to have my own shower at home like the one in this room.
Quite possible the best hotel I have stayed at personally with the most helpful staff.
The hotel had a quirky own little touch and character and on top of that handed my cousins lost passport in!!! Which was a life saver!

The only downfall is that it is not too close to center, but to which you have a tram stop that takes you there within a minute or 2 walking distance! I would rather stay in a place like this a little out of the way (but not too far) rather than direct in the center with mediocre and basic rooms and help.
If i go back to Amsterdam, myself and cousin agree we would only come back to stay here :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlie S S
Sydney
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel was absolutely stunning, if not a little small. It had everything you could need, though instead of a small fridge it had a vending machine which was annoying to store anything. It also had a nespresso machine and a wonderful bathroom.

The only downside to the hotel is it's location. Whilst it's easy to get into town on tram 12 the trams don't come as often as metros in other cities we visited and there is nothing around for dinner etc. so you haven't choice but to get the tram. The tram is expensive compared to other cities too.

If I went back I would probably try and stay somewhere closer, though this hotel was absolutely awesome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel in July of 2013, and since my significant other and I can't stop talking about what a great we had, I figured this place deserved my good word!

First of all, make sure you arrive around check-in time (early afternoon I believe.) We arrived way too early in the morning because of our flight and ended up sleeping on one of the couches in the lobby waiting for our room to be ready. Our mistake! We'll plan better next time for that. Another thing is that the front desk representatives didn't seem very familiar with the area, with one man telling us to go in the complete opposite direction of the city when we showed him a map. Now that that's out of the way...

For the cost and quality, it cannot be beat. Our room was very clean (so important to us!), modern, and comfortable. The room does come with two beds, but we just pushed them together and it really wasn't an issue. The bathroom itself was very clean- we were obsessed with its design. We also loved the little Nespresso machine so much that we ended up purchasing our own when we got home.

We also loved the breakfast offered downstairs (which you have to pay for separately)- it was so fresh and delicious. And we loved eating our breakfast outside on the deck. We also rented bicycles from the hotel, which were invaluable in terms of helping us get around the city.

The location of the hotel is great. It's just outside of the heart of Amsterdam, enough to be a good, not too long morning bike ride and you can stop at an Albert Hein on the way to grab some snacks and drinks for your day. We liked the fact that the hotel was located a little outside of the city because it felt safe and it was quiet for us to settle down at night and wake up to in the mornings. It's also within walking distance to a bus stop, which we used to get to the airport and back. It felt so good to come back to our room at the end of the day and even late at night.

We swear that we will be booking this very hotel on our next trip to Amsterdam!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam A
Sedgefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel situated 45 minutes by bus from the airport and 15 minutes outside of the city centre on tram route 12. Staff very helpful and friendly. Buffet was definitely value for money. Couldn't fault the two nights we spent there.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisnJuliaR
Bristol United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights, 21st and 22nd February 2014.

What a beautiful hotel.

We drove from England as we were driving around Europe and Amsterdam was our first stop, driving up to the hotel we were quite apprehensive, but never judge a book by its cover!

Beautiful hotel inside, very well presented. Good car parking underneath which is 15Euro a day.
The sizes of the bed were amazing and they were pretty comfy! Everything in the room was absolutely perfect and definitely will be back!

Theres a tram to the centre, it cost just over 7Euro for 24 hour ticket. The trams are very confusing but every one was very happy to help.

The breakfast is 15Euro it was nice, I didn't go hungry! & The orange juice is spot on.

There is a Lidl just across the road if you did want to get any snacks, but I think it may have been a bit of a dodgey place!

We went sight seeing, we walked for miles was lovely Never too far from a 'coffee shop' try one. Red light district was interesting. However we nearly got mugged. 2 men walked up to us (There was 3 of us) and grabbed my boyfriend and his friend by the neck of their coats asking for their phone and money. If this does happen to you ease don't be scared just say so...We said no about 3 times then they said 'ok just wanted a cigarette' and walked off....? Be weary. I think we walked down a more of a quieter street by mistake, please stay in busy areas unless there's lots of you.

I will just say - When we left on the Sunday we traveled up to Berlin, my boyfriend then realised he had left his suit trousers and shirt in the wardrobe so he rang reception, they said they couldn't find it in their lost and found so ring again tomorrow when house keeping was in, so my boyfriend did that - They could not find his clothes. He was stupid for leaving it in the wardrobe but obviously someone has got it?? Unless house keeping do not check all the wardrobes........ So bit disappointing to be honest. Also when we left because we paid cash the credit card 'Deposit' wasn't cancelled so when we got home we then had to ring up the hotel to get them to cancel the card!

Other than that everything was perfect.

Recommend this hotel 100%.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple