“Avoid at all costs unless weather is cool. This place is horrible in warm weather.”

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Ranked #15 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Avoid at all costs if weather is warm. The hotel has horribly inadequate AC. My room is 77 F at 8 PM and the AC has been on all day, blinds closed, lights off. They could and should do better but they cheaped out on the AC. A worker told me that they have dozens of complaints when the weather is warm. I stayed at a 200 year old hotel in Amsterdam last week and they cooled the rooms just fine. Shame on Hyatt. Charming hotel, great location, gracious staff but its a disaster thermally.

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank 377
Write a ReviewReviews (2,087)

Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I could not have asked for a better place to end our two weeks in Europe. The newly-opened Andaz is an absolute gem in Amsterdam. The location is perfectly situated between the city center and Vondelpark/Museumplein on a quiet and charming section of the canal on Prinsengracht. The decor is elegant and well appointed, the are exquisite, and the service is impeccable.

While the entire staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, Manuel set the standard. He gave two recommendations for local restaurants that were away from tourists, and absolutely astounding.

What the hotel lacks in exterior architectural charm, it more than makes up for in comfort, luxury, and service.

Would stay each time we return to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Canal view a MUST.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam V
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I am a really big fan of the Andaz Brand. This hotel is what I have come to expect from an Andaz. The unique designs and the amazing staff. Some may find the fish creepy, but I find it interesting. I docked a star for so-so breakfast buffet. While the location is good, it is still not the greatest for tourists on a shorter stay. I will definitely return here on future visits!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vuguru
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My wife and I spent a week-end in the Andaz hotel (Hyatt group) in Amsterdam in June. It is located on one of the most genuine, quiet and charming canals of Amsterdam: Prinsengracht. Close to Spuistraat, Leidseplein, Vondelpark, Ann Frank's house, Museumplein, etc. You are checked in to your room in less than 5 minutes by a reception clerk using an iPad while you are sipping tea on a comfortable sofa. The design is flawless, everything seems to have been carefully thought of. It is both modern and stylish. Our room (king with Canal view on the 1st floor) was spacious, quiet, with comfortable bedding, a large window overlooking the canal and, again, a lot of design surprises that work really well (e.g., shower with a mirror from the outside but transparent from the inside, with the canal view). The staff was professional and friendly. The buffet breakfast is a little expensive (approx. 30 euros) but good and abundant. The rooms that do not offer a canal view look out onto a nice patio. Perfect for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Obviously a canal view is better. I read negative reviews about a partial canal view but, in our ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arash A
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is probably more of a 3.5-star review, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

The "funky" aspects of the hotel are well-noted at this point. Some of it works, like the beautiful lobby area and the chic furniture in the rooms. We were upgraded to a canal view room, which was lovely and remained quiet thanks to the well-insulated windows. Some of the smaller touches, like the informational wallpaper and books in the room was also fun. The hotel definitely reflects its city, per Andaz standards.

However, the design of the rooms just doesn't make practical sense. Placing the sink in the middle of the room is silly and results in water getting on the floor from all angles. The shower is not private (the glass is nearly one-way, but the person inside the shower remains plainly visible) and I'd feel uncomfortable staying here with anyone besides my wife, which is thankfully who I stayed with.

Service was generally friendly, though I sometimes had trouble finding a staff member available in the lobby. I'm still baffled by the Andaz brand's no-front-desk, dude-floating-around-with-an-iPad check-in process, which strikes me as unnecessarily inconvenient. When I arrive, I just want my key so I can go to my room. The iPad thing doesn't add anything to my experience and I promise I won't hold it against you if you just have a boring, old-school front desk.

Despite the get-off-my-lawn tone of my review, this remains a very attractive hotel in a fantastic location. In short, it's kinda weird, just like Amsterdam. I'd probably stay there again just because of its proximity to most of the city's main sights, while dealing with some of the odd touches of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vaitrucci
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for four nights with my husband after we got married. We typically stay in Starwood properties, but this hotel had gotten so much buzz for its funky design that we decided to stay here. The rooms were fantastic especially considering how European hotels are usually designed.

The design wasn't the only winning thing about this place! The staff, or "hosts" as Andaz calls them, went above and beyond to make our stay great. They were genuinely helpful in finding us restaurant recommendations, tours, and general tips about the area.

It seems that the hotel was designed to make you really feel at home from the staff to the amenities. They have free wifi, free minibars with snacks and non-alcoholic beverages (a HUGE perk if you know how most luxury hotels nickel and dime you for everything), and they also had fun add ons like a complimentary wine bar from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. every evening and complimentary espresso in room with cappuccinos and snacks in the morning downstairs.

We've both stayed at a lot of luxury properties, but we agree that this was one of, if not the best, hotel we've ever stayed in. If we're in Amsterdam again, you can bet we'll be back!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Top class, modern and stylish hotel in central Amsterdam. All the latest technology and everything you could want in your room. Very clean and spacious rooms, comfortable beds and friendly and helpful staff. Didn't use the restaurant apart form breakfast which was also very good

Room Tip: if you want a room with an outside window you have to specify it, many rooms look inward
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business